BSOD Problem with TPKD.sys from an old version from iLok Pace (my bad)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A bunch of iLok stuff here - all ok.
As well have parallel installed old Interlock driver (for Avox4) no problems too. But i agree that it's strange from Antares side, keep this relation. (Though there is certain issues with avox plugs itself, but not install\protection related).

HcDoom wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:01 am Never ever had problem with iLok, works excellent for over 10 years. When I read posts which contains: cant start windows, bsod, bad drivers, etc. - what first come to my mind is: illegal software, virus, computer illiterate, hardware issue due to older/incompatible components.
That's not true though. All the iLok plugins that have been liberated from iLok literally do not need installing any of the Pace garbage giving people using those versions much superior experience. Those plugins are about 50% smaller (eg take less RAM), more stable and load way faster than their legitimate counterparts with Pace installed.
No signature here!

These iLok posts come around once in a while. It's the same story. Some never had any issues thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread while others hate iLok. Personally I don't think iLok is the worst copy protection but it is certainly far from friendly and perfect. A user that has iLok and never had any issues will most likely be happy, its just natural. When something goes wrong however, there will be yet another iLok rant post here in KVR
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:22 pm
plexuss wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:14 pm Re OP, sounds like its more of an OS/Windoze issue. This kind of things happens on macOS these days too. We need a new better stable robust OS that is not Windoze or macOS.
Linux. :tu:
A4_Valhalla-exe.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IrionDaRonin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:21 pm So I was installing Evo auto-tune thingy effect, installer didn't even let me choose any folder or anything, I gave it a try (what could be wrong, right?), rebooted computer and bang, BSOD in a loop.
Do you have an ASUS board? I had a similar problem a few years ago. There was a black screen for about 30 seconds everytime i rebboted the computer. When i unplugged the dongle, it booted up normaly (cant remeber if it was the ilok or the elicenser). I exchanged it against a GigaByte Board.

Never had a problem here in all the time I’ve been using i-Lock. Always install the updates as well. Its probably some malware from something else affecting it. I-Lock gets too much unfair criticism imo 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

It always interesting to read how polarising the experiences/opinions are. On paper, iLok is not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely seems aggressive in comparison to other solutions. Some developers love it, as it gets rid of piracy, other think it's unnecessary or even invasive (don't quote me on that). Consumer opinion seems to be pretty much the same.

Personally, I think that internet dependant solutions could get problematic, as well as those, that need to be actively running. If internet is involved, so are servers. Servers are not permanent. If secondary, actively running software is involved, then you can experience performance issues. People tend to say that "it uses this tiny amount, so it's not bad", but forget that software can go haywire. Sometimes software just starts to memory leak, sometimes it's just not compatible as expected and all kinds of issues can be encountered, Especially with a community, where people like to have carefully curated setups, sometimes with no longer supported and specific versions of Windows/iOs, etc. If your DAW can fail, so can your OS. The more layers you add, the more can go wrong.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:51 pm It always interesting to read how polarising the experiences/opinions are. On paper, iLok is not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely seems aggressive in comparison to other solutions. Some developers love it, as it gets rid of piracy, other think it's unnecessary or even invasive (don't quote me on that).
The main point for developers is probably that they don't have to care about implementing their own copy protection, and being able to rely on a safe system.

Nobody likes copy protections, neither developers nor customers. It's something necessary, to be able to run the business. I don't like to lock my home or my car either. It's just... necessary. According to some people who always argue like that in regards of copy protection, I don't trust my fellow earthlings. :lol:

@consordini: Well said!

Especially in the long run this is problematic. Because if
you keep old systems running - for "total recall" reasons -
or if you set up a completely new system: You always have
to deal extensively with all the activation stuff. And that is
often quite frustrating. :(

I try to avoid any I-Lok or internet-based activation
mechanisms. Nevertheless, it sometimes happens
that you need a software that is I-LOK based. Then
- for better or worse - you have to bite the bullet. :evil:

My hope is that this will be less and less necessary in the
future, because there are more and better free software
alternatives - software - DAWs and Plugins, which are
equally good, but which get along without such
"mechanisms". :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

For me, it's dongles which suck, as they simply block USB ports. I don't have issues with C/R copy protection, for example.

The only dongle I still use is iLok. TBH, I'm glad to have gotten rid of most eLicenser protected software.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:20 pm
consordini wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:51 pm It always interesting to read how polarising the experiences/opinions are. On paper, iLok is not the worst thing in the world, but it definitely seems aggressive in comparison to other solutions. Some developers love it, as it gets rid of piracy, other think it's unnecessary or even invasive (don't quote me on that).
The main point for developers is probably that they don't have to care about implementing their own copy protection, and being able to rely on a safe system.

Nobody likes copy protections, neither developers nor customers. It's something necessary, to be able to run the business.
I agree.

But systems can only change if people seek change, or the market changes by itself with time.
Realistically, a new method would appear, if this one becomes obsolete when it comes to the actual protection side. But methods have also changed with enough noise from the market. Is this one of the cases where noise should be made? I'm not sure, but there's definitely topics brewing left and right.

There are definitely benefits if utilised right. And it might as well be the best we can do at the moment. But seeking optimisation and consistent performance can't hurt.

The only point that will truly worry me is it being online. The worry of servers and how fragile they can be. Many markets that adapt the internet to a great extent have to also adapt the lack of longevity, as certain things will undoubtedly fade overtime. Only time will tell how these methods will hold, but there's definitely things to be somewhat worried about.
Take care :wink:

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 am Never had a problem here in all the time I’ve been using i-Lock. Always install the updates as well. Its probably some malware from something else affecting it. I-Lock gets too much unfair criticism imo 🤷‍♂️
Ah yes, that malware that ONLY affects iLok and nothing else. Hate that one.

Well... OP talked about BSOD's.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:22 pm Well... OP talked about BSOD's.
He had an outdated faulty driver installed. Too bad he did not know how to fix it with minimal cost.

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 am Never had a problem here in all the time I’ve been using i-Lock. Always install the updates as well. Its probably some malware from something else affecting it. I-Lock gets too much unfair criticism imo 🤷‍♂️
The only problem I've ever had was when I accepted and installed an update that was offered from within the e-licenser program itself.

It broke all my licenses. Just from installing an update that was suggested and provided by Pace itself. No malware involved....unless you consider the Pace app itself malware.

Now this was years ago on a Win 7 system and I don't remember exactly what I had to do but I just remember it was a bitch getting everything working again.

The one thing that did stick in my mind is "don't update the e-licenser unless it's absolutely necessary" and I haven't since. I have installed the e-licenser on a new Win 10 machine and haven't had any problems....yet....but then I haven't updated it since installing because there is no need, everything is working.

So when I hear "I've never had a problem in X number of years I attribute that to luck and not skill. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”