VST with multiple layers vs using multiple instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering, what are the benefits with VST instrument having multiple layers (like Rapid and Avenger) when comparing to having instrument having only 1 layer if you use multiple instruments? (sure the adding/editing effects for multiple layers in one synth might be easier :roll: )

Let's say I use 3 layers from Rapid/avenger vs using 3 synths with 1 layer?
Is it more CPU friendly to us synth that has multiple layers compared to using multiple instruments with 1 layer?

Easier and quicker to edit when you don't have to switch between multiple instruments, more CPU friendly, easier automation, fewer tracks in the mixer, can apply modulation to all layers from one common source (such as a global LFO or Env), easier to save and recall a single preset containing all layers.

I have no use for multiple layers in a synth, and see it rather as an addition for sound designers, who want to create one key press atmospheres, or sequences.

I don't really see the "more CPU friendly" point either, IMO, it should be neglectable, as a synth usually doesn't really take that much CPU while being idle, i.e. for running the GUI etc.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:29 am Easier and quicker to edit when you don't have to switch between multiple instruments, more CPU friendly, easier automation, fewer tracks in the mixer, can apply modulation to all layers from one common source (such as a global LFO or Env), easier to save and recall a single preset containing all layers.
Multiple instruments can also be more CPU friendly. For example, I like the simple Organ device in Bitwig. With some partial modulation it can sound quite lovely as a backing pad for example and it uses almost no measurable CPU.

In Bitwig I can use the Instrument Layer device to layer multiple instruments on one track. No need for extra tracks. I can apply modulation to any/all of the layers from one common source. Bitwig has an excellent preset system with tagging so I can save any sort of setup I want as a preset.

In addition, each layer can have its own set of FX which can also all be modulated individual or across layers. The modulation is unlimited and is visually displayed better than any plugin available today.

Having the layers in the DAW is overall more powerful and flexible. The possibilities are unlimited and the workflow is comparable.

it depends on the synths. some synths that layer are super cpu efficient like the korg klc M1 and WS.
while layering a bunch of synths like diva and serum will destroy your cpu.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I think that the "it's not that CPU heavy" only works for light synths or based on what kind of system you're more keen on using, because while reading this thread I started thinking of running 4+ instances of Serum, etc. While decent PCs will do just fine, imagine running a huge project, with already having tens of instances of other synths/effects and taking in on the road with a laptop.

Having a flexible single synth might just be enough to save your laptop and help you get the sound you want.
Take care :wink:

I don't have Dune or Rapid, but it would be interesting to load a single sound identically on all 8 layers in 1 instance,and also create 8 separate instances of that same single layer; then compare cpu with (say) the same 4 note chord on both.

for general layering, say pad sounds, i use diff instances, more control (automation and sep fx) and i can tweak chords/notes if i want

for specific sound construction, layers are good (say for drum sounds) and it's convenient to save as a preset

Tannaliini wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:20 am Let's say I use 3 layers from Rapid/avenger vs using 3 synths with 1 layer?
Because you only need one Playlist Lane or Piano Roll for a single synth. It's much easier to edit data in a single Piano Roll than having to edit multiple PR's and so on.

I know some people define synthesis as a single Saw wave through a low pass filter but I like big complex evolving sounds and being able to have them contained in a single patch rather than having to load multiple instances of a synth then selecting multiple patches is much more efficient.

It allows me to keep my projects organized and easier to manage yet still sufficiently complex.

So bring on the layers, the more the better. I got bored with simple synths decades ago. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:33 am
I don't really see the "more CPU friendly" point either, IMO, it should be neglectable, as a synth usually doesn't really take that much CPU while being idle, i.e. for running the GUI etc.
But the synth isn't idle.....when it's playing. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Let's take it to the extreme....why should any synth have more than one Osc ? I mean you could just load a boat load of instances to create your sound right ?

Synths have more than one Osc to expand the range of sounds that synth can make. Layers are no different. They expand the range of sounds a synth can make.

If you don't need those layers then fine don't use them but they are there for those people who do. :wink:

The only 2 reasons I can think of is that the layers can interact in some way (like FM) and they can use the same FX bus within the synth.

I personally want to combine sounds of different character and therefore rather choose multiple instruments to act as layers. Unfortunately the "quickness" of the in-synth-layer approach starts to fail when copy/pasting isn't possible or only partly. Creating a new sound from existing layers is then a pita while loading up seperate synth and loading up a preset has benefits.

Layers are great for creating complex 1 finger presets/sequences and that has pure marketing purpose.

If you use one "midi layer track" in your DAW to control all the single plugins with it, then it's basically the same and you can control different multiple synths with one "layer track", too. Also if the "layer synth" has no multi-outs, but only its own mixer, the layers are senseless later in the mix. That's the reason I'm not working with layers and my CPU has enough power for that luxury and I'm making full tracks and no 1-Finger crap! :D

Multiple layers are often only good for presets. For sound deseign... usually I can't get my head around it, anyway.

I often need to layer completely different sounds, such as acoustic piano + FM bell + another sample for different purpose.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Instruments”