Faulty design in TrackSpacer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pmYes, but the freq.curve may have two or more peaks, or the visual image may give you idea of the audio concerning the curve slope.
Sure, but is irrelevant - TS has 30-something internal dynamic EQ nodes and user doesn't have any say on their placement, so by engaging the filters you simply disable the left- and right-most nodes and whether or not your peaks will be caught properly by the rest of the nodes depends on how smart the nodes were placed by the developer and how 'typical' your music is, because I'm sure they've not placed them randomly.

If you really want a surgical tool for this you have to get Neutron 3 or ProQ-3, because - as I said - you can place the nodes yourself, decide the sensitivity and reaction functions per node and decouple the frequency points (e.g. 1kHz can be ducked against 100Hz sidechain). But they cost 3-4x more AND they're utility is much broader than just this. And this comes back to my point, that TS is a one-trick-pony and is cheap, hence you shouldn't (but you can, obviously) expect it to be more feature-rich & flexible. If you were to place & set up 30-something nodes in Pro-Q3 you'd quickly go mad, so TS does this for you out-of-the-box instantly, but with less flexibility and control.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:31 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pmYes, but the freq.curve may have two or more peaks, or the visual image may give you idea of the audio concerning the curve slope.
Sure, but is irrelevant - TS has 30-something internal dynamic EQ nodes and user doesn't have any say on their placement, so by engaging the filters you simply disable the left- and right-most nodes and whether or not your peaks will be caught properly by the rest of the nodes depends on how smart the nodes were placed by the developer and how 'typical' your music is, because I'm sure they've not placed them randomly.

If you really want a surgical tool for this you have to get Neutron 3 or ProQ-3, because - as I said - you can place the nodes yourself, decide the sensitivity and reaction functions per node and decouple the frequency points (e.g. 1kHz can be ducked against 100Hz sidechain). But they cost 3-4x more AND they're utility is much broader than just this. And this comes back to my point, that TS is a one-trick-pony and is cheap, hence you shouldn't (but you can, obviously) expect it to be more feature-rich & flexible. If you were to place & set up 30-something nodes in Pro-Q3 you'd quickly go mad, so TS does this for you out-of-the-box instantly, but with less flexibility and control.
If its irrelevant to you, thats ok, not to me. BTW, I own both Neutron 3 (Ozone Adv. 9) and Pro-Q 3 - TS gives me one additional tool, for a quick (as you mentioned) unmasking, or checking, how the two sources blend together when using the sidechain.
Who says a one-tric-pony can´t be well-equipped?

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:38 pm Who says a one-tric-pony can´t be well-equipped?
Err, that's the literal definition of one-trick-pony - it does one thing well. And TS is exactly that - it's an easy & fast plugin to do stuff that's complex and time-consuming to do elsewhere, but as a tradeoff it's not as fully featured and offers limited control. I'm not sure why we're arguing about it, unless you're an idealist who never did anything and you somehow think you can add complexity infinitely, while not impacting the cost and ease of use.

Just use TS when you need good enough result quickly, or Neutron/Pro-Q when you require more control and have the time to set it up :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:53 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:38 pm Who says a one-tric-pony can´t be well-equipped?
Err, that's the literal definition of one-trick-pony - it does one thing well. And TS is exactly that - it's an easy & fast plugin to do stuff that's complex and time-consuming to do elsewhere, but as a tradeoff it's not as fully featured and offers limited control. I'm not sure why we're arguing about it, unless you're an idealist who never did anything and you somehow think you can add complexity infinitely, while not impacting the cost and ease of use.

Just use TS when you need good enough result quickly, or Neutron/Pro-Q when you require more control and have the time to set it up :shrug:
Well, if you want split the hairs, to me, with the TS, seeing both audio source spectrograms, belong to that "one thing". Frequency curves serve here this, and only this purpose (unmasking between two signals quickly).

If this was a simple feature request all the replies would be "Oh, yea, that absolutely makes total 1000% sense, thanks Harry!".

It does make absolute sense, but also, tbh, its not usually a bother in practical use, for me.
ImageImageImageImage

antic604 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm
fese wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:48 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:25 pm
In the end it's a one-traick-pony plugin, often on sale and developed by single person who I think doesn't do that professionally - hard to expect it have it all ;)
Why do you assume that? You just need to look in the manual to see that it is not true. Credits show four people involved in design and dsp programming, one of those being Ivan Cohen, professional dsp developer for e.g. Two Notes (https://www.musicalentropy.com/about.html)
Sorry, I must've confused the dev with someone else. Still, the 1st part is true - it's a one-trick-pony and it's often discounted, which means one shouldn't expect it to have all possible features :)
That’s true, and I personally think that’s a good thing, mainly because I’m too stupid and lazy for the complicated stuff ;)

Trackspacer is frequently on sale for around 30 euros ... i love it, but for that price i dont expect much more :shrug: Sonible Smartcomp has a spectral ducking mode, that works exactly like trackspacer. I can remember that the guys at Gearsluts and Dogsonacid prefered it over TS (CPU usage is also better on SmartComp).

Sonible did a summer sale, at the end of july in 2019. If you're looking for more features you should check the demo. Here's a good video that explains the two different ducking modes. If they do a sale this year i will definitly get it

Explanation of the spectral ducking mode starts around 7:30 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6we2UwrChM

you can see the masking where the ducking appears. both spectra with a "red masking zone" would only be duplicate info.

audiot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:24 pm Trackspacer is frequently on sale for around 30 euros ... i love it, but for that price i dont expect much more :shrug: Sonible Smartcomp has a spectral ducking mode, that works exactly like trackspacer. I can remember that the guys at Gearsluts and Dogsonacid prefered it over TS (CPU usage is also better on SmartComp).

Sonible did a summer sale, at the end of july in 2019. If you're looking for more features you should check the demo. Here's a good video that explains the two different ducking modes. If they do a sale this year i will definitly get it

Explanation of the spectral ducking mode starts around 7:30 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6we2UwrChM
A year ago i've bought Sonible smart:comp in stead of Trackspacer. Smart:comp has a lot more bands, and can also be used for general compression purposes. It also has an A.I. function which sets up all the parameters based on the sounds you are working with.

frizzbee wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 pm you can see the masking where the ducking appears. both spectra with a "red masking zone" would only be duplicate info.
Yeah, you know, but when i drive a car, i want to SEE the petrol going from the back to the front. Otherwise i'm not sure if the car is driving as it should. :hihi:

:hihi:

Dark Fiber wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm
frizzbee wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 pm you can see the masking where the ducking appears. both spectra with a "red masking zone" would only be duplicate info.
Yeah, you know, but when i drive a car, i want to SEE the petrol going from the back to the front. Otherwise i'm not sure if the car is driving as it should. :hihi:
Yeah - some people, like you, aren’t able to contribute the thread subject - they just bullshit.
But we are merciful.

Dark Fiber wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 pm A year ago i've bought Sonible smart:comp in stead of Trackspacer. Smart:comp has a lot more bands, and can also be used for general compression purposes. It also has an A.I. function which sets up all the parameters based on the sounds you are working with.
I'm fine with TrackSpacer ... but more options and less CPU :wheee: Usability looks also good/easy. I doubt that i will resist the next sale :oops: The AI thingy didnt impress me that much, as far as i remember, but it's been a while since i've demoed it. Sonible stuff is top notch :tu: ... still cannot believe they gave away the Entropy EQ as a free gift on Plugin Boutique :hail:

audiot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 pm
Dark Fiber wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 pm A year ago i've bought Sonible smart:comp in stead of Trackspacer. Smart:comp has a lot more bands, and can also be used for general compression purposes. It also has an A.I. function which sets up all the parameters based on the sounds you are working with.
I'm fine with TrackSpacer ... but more options and less CPU :wheee: Usability looks also good/easy. I doubt that i will resist the next sale :oops: The AI thingy didnt impress me that much, as far as i remember, but it's been a while since i've demoed it. Sonible stuff is top notch :tu: ... still cannot believe they gave away the Entropy EQ as a free gift on Plugin Boutique :hail:
Yeah, got that one for "free" too, as well as the Proximity EQ a year ago :D
Don't use them a lot though, and did not like smart:eq2. But smart:comp for sidechaining is top notch.

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:25 pm
Dark Fiber wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm
Yeah - some people, like you, aren’t able to contribute the thread subject - they just bullshit.
But we are merciful.
Apoloies for my unmerciful act. Now let's get back on topic :hug:

Return to “Effects”