Best virtual Bechstein piano.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

XComposer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 pm There are many things that make me feel attracted towards Pianoteq. The only perplexity I have – but it's an important one – is that I am not convinced by the audio demos I find. The bass notes of EastWest Pianos Bechstein seem more "roaring", more "rugged" and "scratchy" to me, which I happen to like much more, and Pianoteq seems to me somehow "colder" and "too polished", so to speak… I'm still pondering! Oh, and I would actually like to modify and tweak the instrument whenever possible. Many warm thanks to all of you.
I seem in the minority, but I can't stand pianoteq. To me it sounds artificial and plastic and the playability isn't great at all for me.

If I was in search of a Bechstein I would go for the VI Labs German. The sound is great and the VI Labs pianos have the best playability for my feel.

The C. Bechstein DG is my second Pianoteq favorite (only second to their Blüthner) but I do prefer the Bechstein Digital Grand as sampled version.

Pianoteq, hands down.

Sampled pianos are extremely limited in the number of unique notes they play. When you play a sampled piano, you are replaying the same handful of moments in time that everyone else is replaying. When you play Pianoteq, every note is uniquely generated on the fly just for you in that moment. You own those notes. They are uniquely yours.

2 identical MIDI tracks with 2 identical instances of Pianoteq in your DAW will not null when phase inverted. Think about that for a moment.

Aside from the historical recreations, Bechstein is my favourite piano in Pianoteq, along with K2.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I have done some tests with the demo version of the "C. Bechstein DG" model in Pianoteq 6.7.3 Stage where i compared it to other models i own like Ant. Petrof 275, Steinway Model D, Bluethner Model One and K2 Grand.

I like the sound of the C. Bechstein DG model but i admit it is not my favorite one.

Here is my ranking for those 5 piano models in Pianoteq 6 Stage:
1.) Ant. Petrof 275
2.) Steinway Model D
3.) C. Bechstein DG (demo version)
4.) Bluethner Model One
5.) K2 Grand

The Ant. Petrof model is still my favorite and when it was released it was the reason to finally buy Pianoteq after having used mostly sampled pianos, TruePianos and Arturia Piano V2.
Before this my favorite piano was VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 and i still love that one. When i would include sampled pianos in the TOP 5 list posted above currently it would be at 3rd place.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

rasmusklump wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:48 pm
I seem in the minority, but I can't stand pianoteq. To me it sounds artificial and plastic and the playability isn't great at all for me.
Perfect! Exactly the same thing that I feel, too!
But, in my case, the more I listen to, closely and paying attention to details through my headphones, the more I like EastWest Bechstein, more than any other virtual Bechstein.

Oh oh, the Pianoteq crowd are going to take you around the back and show you how Pianoteq is far better than any other sampled Library every could be :).

I alas have never played a real Bechstein so I can't really offer a valid opinion as to which sounds the most authentic. I can tell you which i prefer of the two sampled ones i do have (NI Maverick;VI Labs German Grand), but I have no idea how authentic it really is.

I too am not thus far convinced by the Pianoteq and still prefer sampled pianos (next to the real thing of course, which you then have to find a great room, great mics etc etc etc)
rsp
sound sculptist

Ingonator wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:39 am I have done some tests with the demo version of the "D. Bechstein DG" model in Pianoteq 6.7.3 Stage where i compared it to other models i own like Ant. Petrof 275, Steinway Model D, Bluethner Model One and K2 Grand.

I like the sound of the D. Bechstein DG model but i admit it is not my favorite one.

Here is my ranking for those 5 piano models in Pianoteq 6 Stage:
1.) Ant. Petrof 275
2.) Steinway Model D
3.) D. Bechstein DG (demo version)
4.) Bluethner Model One
5.) K2 Grand

The Ant. Petrof model is still my favorite and when it was released it was the reason to finally buy Pianoteq after having used mostly sampled pianos, TruePianos and Arturia Piano V2.
Before this my favorite piano was VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 and i still love that one. When i would include sampled pianos in the TOP 5 list posted above currently it would be at 3rd place.
If the Petrof’s your favorite, do try the Grotrian.

(...)
Last edited by volution on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've played a few Bechsteins throughout my life. Can't say that anyone of them played or thoroughly sounded the same as another. Mostly close enough, but being a real instrument means that they're subjected to time and care. One particular one I played had it's keyboard complete but thrashed from one key to the next, however, its sound was fantastic. Another one was its complete opposite, looked immaculate but obviously the harp component was not maintained as it should've been. And then the "average ones" between those extremes. I actually prefer the historical Bechsteins mostly. Which has less bottom end, but closer to memories of what I've played. One of the things I love about Pianoteq is the range of pianos it gives me. And while I have my particulars, I'm also aware there are times when I'm just not getting along with the one I'd been consistently using.
Trading off to a different model has therefore become a saving grace for me.

Oddly enough, traveling from one piano to another made me crave a perfect piano. But the reality is, what feels perfect to me changes and I postulate this might have to do with my overall personal history with them all.

I do somewhat believe that what we each seek is the strongest memory of what we began on or began to demand.
(BTW, I'd never played a Petrof before this, but can clearly see it being in my rotation.)

Sample pianos are great, but I've yet to find one that has the nuances of a full instrument. Pianoteq has given that to me so far.

Although I still find that both models and samples could be by improved in the "Una Corda" string-hammer relationship.
(NI does present the better idea, even though it only delivers in a NI production/cinematic sense. As do all their pianos IMO.)

It's absolutely stunning to me how one can hear "nuances" in pianotec but not the overly present "synth" character....absolutely nothing like a real, wooden, handmade instrument.

The nuances I'm referring to are actually about feel and playability first.
And each Pianoteq version has gotten only better in sound.
Not sure what you hear as "synth", but maybe it's your speakers. I get a brighter sound from my smaller JBLs than I do my larger Yamahas. The Yamaha seem to have a more natural response.

BBFG# wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 am And each Pianoteq version has gotten only better in sound.
This is correct and version 6 seems to be a quite big imrovement in terms of sound quality which was a reason why i finally decided to buy it (the Stage version with 4 models) around 2 years ago.
As the whole engine was updated the improvements are also found in the older models like e.g. Steinway Model D which in the latest version of Pianoteq is one of my favorite models. AFAIK it was originally released with version 4 and it indeed sounded much worse with that version (same was true for the other modesl in v4).

Since i bought Pianoteq 6 Stage i simply enjoy the piano models i own "as is" and i might buy a few additional models in the future like e.g. the "C. Bechstein DG".
A great thing about the models i already own is that they sound quite differently so while i have a favorite model certain piano models might fit better to certain tracks than others.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”