What are the top 3 best sounding "supersynths" to you?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, I'm currently saving for a "supersynth" (I don't know which one yet, but people here has given me some ideas), but I wanted to know which are the top 3 best sounding ones, at least to you. =)

And what do you think of Falcon, MSoundFactory, VPS Avenger, etc.?

Responding to some questions to clarify:

Well, to be honest, asking what is the best synth, is not exactly the same to asking what is the synth that sounds the best, that is why I ask, I tried most synths that people recommended me in the past, except for Steinberg Halion, UVI Falcon (because it doesn't have a demo), NI Reaktor (I only have the free one, but I haven't really tried it), and VCV Rackt.

For me the synth that sounds the best is Dune 3, but I wouldn't consider it a "super synth" like Falcon for what I read about this last one.

Every thread has helped me to know a little bit better what to choose, so they haven't go to waste, every bit of info has helped me.

So currently I'm going to invest my money in Dune 3 (when it's in sale, because I like its sound the most, and at least it has good presets), in Sylenth1 (someday in the future when it's in sale, because I like its sound character, and it have a lot of presets), in Synthmaster and Synthmaster One (when it's Black Friday sale, because it have a lot of presets), and now I'm trying to decide for a super synth, something like Falcon 2 or VPS Avenger 2 (when it comes out), that I'm probably going to get after Dune 3, or maybe (maybe) before Dune 3.

Currently I'm going forward for Falcon, but it's hard for me to really decide right now for it because I didn't find its expansions' sounds to be really good to be honest, good but not as good I thought they will be (at least to me liking), so I kind of depend of what people tell me in this thread if I finally decide for it or for another one.

I also tried MSoundFactory demo, I found it to have a very nice graphical interface to me, and I liked the concept but I'm not really sure to buy it either, because some sounds where very amateurish to me, but its very knew, but if people thing it has a good sound I probably choose it, because it's also in sale.

VPS Avenger... I really like its expansions sounds (but maybe the videos for its expansions have all kind of effects to make the presets sound better than they are, I don't really know), and I know they are developing VPS Avenger 2, so I probably choose it if people think it sound good, but when it comes the second version and it's in sale, so it will take a long wait.

The one I didn't like that people recommended me was Zebra 2 though, because at least the LEAD factory sounds sounded very very bad to me at least. Maybe some presets packs sound good, but I don't know that, I don't have money to try them right now.

The other u-he products are spectacular, they are great, I probably get them someday, at least for the presets.

But anyways to make a better decision I'm asking the question in this thread, so if you can, and you want, please help me with the question in this thread.

It can be your own opinion, it doesn't have to be what other people like.
Last edited by StardragonEX on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rapid, Phase Plant and Icarus 2 are probably my favourites at the moment!

Personally I don't think the filters and effects like reverb sound great on MSF, and simple things take a lot of setup to do - but it can do stuff no other synth can do. Avenger is very resource heavy, and the new licensing is a bit of a pain, and it's generally more buggy than the others.
Honorable mention to Hive 2 if you consider that a super synth, but it's missing stuff like FM/cross modulation but sounds great!
Also some say Massive X is the best sounding, but also very high CPU and not the best feedback in the UI.
Zebra is a little long in the tooth - the UI isn't the most intuitive/fun to use and you're limited to what FM/cross modulation you can do, I would generally reach for Hive first for more straight forward sounds, or something like Phase Plant if I want to do more complex sound design!

If I could only buy 1 super synth, it would probably be Rapid, Phase Plant and Hive2, and then Icarus2 when I'm drunk...

If you want to have some fun, watch this guy rate and describe what he likes about his plugins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI2n9YuERCQ
Last edited by Ranoka on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For me it would be:
1. Serum (the sound is surprisingly good and versatile even when comparing to synths with more oscs and it is very easy to use).
2. Ana2 (this one because the "low" price, easiness to use, nice preset browser, and good sounds)
3. This one is more difficult... since I think those 2 pretty much cover everything I would need (and they have very user friendly CP system)... But if I could choose for free, then maybe Rapid since it has some very cool features

"best" sounding for what, exactly?

What do you mean by a supersynth?

rsp
sound sculptist

Supersynth :D

Rapid, ZebraHZ, and Synthmaster.

zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 pm What do you mean by a supersynth?

rsp

exactly.... and expect a list of at least 30 diff synths :hihi:

lol.. indeed :)
rsp
sound sculptist

i would say uvi's falcon is a kind of "supersynth", or should i say a synth' workstation? :wink:

In my opinion Falcon is one of the best sounding and most versatile synths at the moment.
Pretty much all synthesis methods covered with a wide selection of filters , oscillators , wavetables, effects etc.
It's kind of an open modular format, so you can make sounds suitable for any kind of genre you want.

Supersynths are so 2019. I'm more interested in Super-Duper synths.
A well-behaved signature.

Ana 2 for sure but I do not have many to compare to

MSoundFactory is currently on sale, so that may influence your decision. "Best-sounding" is subjective and I personally would not use that metric when choosing any of these synths. That said, I have MSoundFactory, Falcon, and Avenger, and I really like the first two. You can't go wrong with either of them (although be aware that both of them require some time to get your head around). I'm not a fan of Avenger.

Return to “Instruments”