Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Try using CLEAN button. It looks like it fixes the behaviours described before. Working on a fix right now.

discoDSP wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:18 am Try using CLEAN button. It looks like it fixes the behaviours described before. Working on a fix right now.
Thanks, that does seem to help!

Also, there are now like a million CC's that appear in the parameter list. Are these necessary to be exposed to the DAW? It makes the VST parameter list insanely long (2,161 parameters). There's gotta be a way to get MIDI Learn working without exposing these to the host as automation parameters.

In VST3, nope, it's like that.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:52 pmAlso, there are now like a million CC's that appear in the parameter list. Are these necessary to be exposed to the DAW? It makes the VST parameter list insanely long (2,161 parameters). There's gotta be a way to get MIDI Learn working without exposing these to the host as automation parameters.
There are only 76 MIDI CC. I don't think it's a plugin issue, does it?

discoDSP wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:05 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:52 pmAlso, there are now like a million CC's that appear in the parameter list. Are these necessary to be exposed to the DAW? It makes the VST parameter list insanely long (2,161 parameters). There's gotta be a way to get MIDI Learn working without exposing these to the host as automation parameters.
There are only 76 MIDI CC. I don't think it's a plugin issue, does it?
Try this...

1. Open OB-Xd VST2 or VST3 in Reaper (latest build of OB-Xd)
2. Click the "UI" button in Reaper to turn off the plugins GUI
3. Scroll down the parameter list

Result: There are over 2,000 midi CC's in the VST parameter list. One for each of the 16 MIDI channels * 128 MIDI CC's.

These were not in prior OB-Xd builds. This isn't a "Reaper thing" either. It exists only in these more recent OB-Xd builds.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:37 pm 1. Open OB-Xd VST2 in Reaper (latest build of OB-Xd)

Result: There are over 2,000 midi CC's in the VST parameter list. One for each of the 16 MIDI channels * 128 MIDI CC's.

These were not in prior OB-Xd builds. This isn't a "Reaper thing" either. It exists only in these more recent OB-Xd builds.
They don't appear here. Reaper 6.12c

discoDSP wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:39 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:37 pm 1. Open OB-Xd VST2 in Reaper (latest build of OB-Xd)

They don't appear here. Reaper 6.12c
They completely disappeared here too! This is odd. I even tried the VST3 after I posted about the VST2 and got it with both. Now, both are completely fine.

Maybe this was user error or something intermittent. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

One thing I'm seeing with MIDI Learn. Sometimes button assignments don't "take" the first time. Try this:

1. With the button state on...
2. Click Learn
3. Move a MIDI parameter

Result: Learn buttons come off. Assignment looks like it was made.

4. Move the hardware controller for that button

Result: Nothing happens (not sure if it's 100% of the time, but definitely sometimes)

Now...

5. Click Learn
6. Cycle the Button into an Off state (either turn it on, turn it off, or if already on, turn it off)
8. Move a MIDI parameter

Result: works every time

Thanks, will check.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:50 pm Here's what I just did:

1. Loaded OB-Xd (VST2 in Reaper 6.15)
2. In my default program, I have CC 35 assigned to Sine LFO
3. Turn the hardware knob to turn off Sine LFO shape (it's already on in my default preset)
4. Turn off the OSC2 frequency modulation button (it's already on in my default preset)
5. Turn the hardware knob to turn back on Sine LFO shape button

Result: OSC2 Frequency Mod button turns back on too! Will only happen once. After the first time, it's like they reset and the issue fixes itself. To reproduce, you have to remove OB-Xd and load a new instance.

Expected Result: Only the Sine turns back on. OSC2 Frequency Mod isn't being touched and should remain off.
Does the issue happens in VST3 too?
Last edited by discoDSP on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

In the past I was getting it with VST2 but I'm not currently. Since then I had deleted everything and started over from scratch. So maybe it had something to do with a parameter saved in the host prior to the parameter refactorization process.

I'm still getting the issue with the Filter button you previously were able to reproduce so just hanging tight for an update that will address that. Will retest whenever there's a new build.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 pm Also, the square LFO shape is completely not working.

To reproduce:

1. Load OB-Xd
2. Turn on the Square LFO shape, turn other LFO buttons off (square by itself)
3. Increase the depth
4. Turn on the Filter LFO button

Result: No LFO gets applied to the filter.

Expected Result: you hear the square LFO.

Note: Sine and S&H shapes work as expected.
Can't reproduce this anymore. Are you doing it on a new project?

discoDSP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 am Can't reproduce this anymore. Are you doing it on a new project?
I can't reproduce this anymore either. :lol:

Just to add: There is still definitely something VERY wrong though. I just had the Sine button turn itself on, when only the square and S&H buttons were on. Then I moved CC35 which is assigned to the Sine LFO button and the Saw waveform button on the oscillator came on. None of this stuff is easily reproducible and all intermittent. There's just strange behavior where buttons start doing whatever they want under some unknown conditions.

Just the fact that you previously reproduced the issue and now cannot demonstrates the random nature if the button state bugs. Here's what I'd suggest:

1. Open Reaper in Windows (might not be DAW specific, but EvilDragon and I are both using it)
2. Load OB-Xd
3. Press Clear
4. Create a MIDI Learn map
5. Create a new default preset save it
6. Remove the track and instrument
7. Reload OB-Xd
8. Pay very close attention to your current button states (it's easy to miss them coming on and off) maybe take a screen print if it helps
9. Move some knobs on your controller, move some knobs on your mouse, maybe open a browser window and go back to Reaper, just generally program a patch or two

At any point did you get unexpected button changes? It's pretty random here but not at all rare. The first time I move a parameter, there will always be an issue with a different button coming on/off, but it seems like there are still other instances where the problem happens.

Thanks for the detailed report. Sadly since the issue comes at random it's very difficult to trace the culprit.

We are in the process of reviewing the code to see where this mysterious bug comes from :?

MIDI CC issues only happen with VST2 here by the way.

discoDSP wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm MIDI CC issues only happen with VST2 here by the way.
That's generally my preferred format but I could make the switch to VST3 if that's going to be more stable.

Return to “Instruments”