Memories in C maj

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/karma_tba/memories-in-c-maj
Recently I've noticed that some tracks have been given reviews that mention that the song is too short. I find that amusing. Lots of artists from the Beatles to Prince have many tracks that are so-called "too short". Sometime the composition can be afflicted with the "album cut" syndrome and may be better off being brief. Sometimes dragging out a track just to show off skills or fill up space on an album or CD is worse than a track that leaves 'em asking for more. Long cuts work for symphonic or progressive or jazz etc. It depends on the genre. The radio play format seems to favor shorter songs. A lengthy track can lose the listener. Shorter doesn't necessarily equate to songwriter laziness. Some tracks have been taken to the limit and would be over done by exceeding 3 minutes. There's plenty of room for noodling within the 3-4 minute limit. Personally I think this track is too long. What do you think ?

Like this one. Some good rhythmic elements. Imho, the first section is too long, 0:01-2:49 because there's very little injection of something new. Daft Punk are masters of seemingly having one idea and repeating it, but they're actually tweaking it every 8 bars or so to keep you interested.

Like the brass solo 3:57.
The dropout at 2:51 is good.

What is that? Midi Sax? Or did you play it by yourself? The lead theme sounds good, the backing is some kind of trashy in comparison.

Bansaw wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:33 pm Like this one. Some good rhythmic elements. Imho, the first section is too long, 0:01-2:49 because there's very little injection of something new. Daft Punk are masters of seemingly having one idea and repeating it, but they're actually tweaking it every 8 bars or so to keep you interested.

Like the brass solo 3:57.
The dropout at 2:51 is good.
Thanks for listening. I agree with your comment on length.

htcnext2 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:26 pm What is that? Midi Sax? Or did you play it by yourself? The lead theme sounds good, the backing is some kind of trashy in comparison.
The sax is from Dimension Pro. I played a rough part on MIDI keyboard and tweaked it in piano roll. Thanks for the input and listen.

This is a great start. There is no reason this track couldn't keep it's current length, with some injection of harmonic and rhythmic variance it would certainly hold the listeners attention. The sax is a good idea, keep some of the simpler stuff, maybe you could be more distinct with the rest of the phrasing, take a motif or two and repeat up or down in the scale, in that way the tension can be built up or dissipated as you wish. Background details in the track are nice, use those in determining the placement of buildups/builddowns. I hope that is helpful.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

MalToné wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:23 pm This is a great start. There is no reason this track couldn't keep it's current length, with some injection of harmonic and rhythmic variance it would certainly hold the listeners attention. The sax is a good idea, keep some of the simpler stuff, maybe you could be more distinct with the rest of the phrasing, take a motif or two and repeat up or down in the scale, in that way the tension can be built up or dissipated as you wish. Background details in the track are nice, use those in determining the placement of buildups/builddowns. I hope that is helpful.
Thanks for the detailed look at the track. Quite a bit to digest, but well worth exploring.

should have been over at the 3:00 mark or introduce another bassline to break that monotonous repeating intro bassline.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:09 am should have been over at the 3:00 mark or introduce another bassline to break that monotonous repeating intro bassline.
I understand....thank you. I have to remember elements like the bassline can drive a different direction.

Return to “Music Cafe”