What do you think to this? 1/ Peaktime house/electro 2/ Electro

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

The first song isn't mixed. The second song is mixed and mastered but i've dropped the volume by 10db to make it roughly the same volume of the first unmixed song.
I'd like to know what you think of these songs, before i take it any further. Do i have a solid foundation?

https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/s ... QG3A75KA7F

Thank you very much for listening.

While I'm no expert on the genre, I'd still think that 55 seconds of the exact same loop with no variation whatsoever would be monotonous for any genre. But don't go by me because I'm not into this stuff. All I know is that there wasn't enough variation to keep me interested. Certainly not for over 5 minutes. I turned it off at around 3 minutes as I could hear it wasn't going anywhere.

The second track is better. There is at least a little more going on in it. Mix sounds fine to me. But I'm not all that picky as long as it's clear, clean and not muddy or too harsh. So take my "fine" with a very tiny grain of salt. Hopefully, those more in tune with this genre and more discriminating can be of more help.

One thing I would have liked to have heard on the 2nd track is a lead melody line over the riff. It feels like a backing track that needs a vocal or some kind of melody. Again, I am no expert on this genre so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But that middle section is really monotonous. There is no change at all for several minutes.

I am curious to know what others think so hopefully you'll get lots of comments.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm While I'm no expert on the genre, I'd still think that 55 seconds of the exact same loop with no variation whatsoever would be monotonous for any genre. But don't go by me because I'm not into this stuff. All I know is that there wasn't enough variation to keep me interested. Certainly not for over 5 minutes. I turned it off at around 3 minutes as I could hear it wasn't going anywhere.

The second track is better. There is at least a little more going on in it. Mix sounds fine to me. But I'm not all that picky as long as it's clear, clean and not muddy or too harsh. So take my "fine" with a very tiny grain of salt. Hopefully, those more in tune with this genre and more discriminating can be of more help.

One thing I would have liked to have heard on the 2nd track is a lead melody line over the riff. It feels like a backing track that needs a vocal or some kind of melody. Again, I am no expert on this genre so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But that middle section is really monotonous. There is no change at all for several minutes.

I am curious to know what others think so hopefully you'll get lots of comments.
Thanks for your feedback Wagtunes. I hope so too. :D

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm While I'm no expert on the genre, I'd still think that 55 seconds of the exact same loop with no variation whatsoever would be monotonous for any genre. But don't go by me because I'm not into this stuff. All I know is that there wasn't enough variation to keep me interested. Certainly not for over 5 minutes. I turned it off at around 3 minutes as I could hear it wasn't going anywhere.
I thought the first song would keep your interest.

In this case the 55 seconds would be needed by the DJ until the exciting event happens at 55 seconds!

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:12 pm In this case the 55 seconds would be needed by the DJ until the exciting event happens at 55 seconds!
Then I'm not your target audience. After 55 seconds, I would have turned off the radio. Sorry, I'm old and one minute to get to whatever is way too long for me.

Honestly, asking me to review your stuff is pointless because I don't understand this genre and don't really like most of it. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. This is nothing personal against you. It's just the music you do isn't for me and my opinion of it is meaningless.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:34 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:12 pm In this case the 55 seconds would be needed by the DJ until the exciting event happens at 55 seconds!
Then I'm not your target audience. After 55 seconds, I would have turned off the radio. Sorry, I'm old and one minute to get to whatever is way too long for me.

Honestly, asking me to review your stuff is pointless because I don't understand this genre and don't really like most of it. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. This is nothing personal against you. It's just the music you do isn't for me and my opinion of it is meaningless.
Oh, sorry. I've found what you've said before helpful, and this time.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Because I was commenting on the mix, not the music. Your mixing is fine now. It's clear, it's not muddy and I can make things out. The rest, my opinion is pointless. I'm not the target audience for house music or whatever. I don't go to clubs. I didn't go to clubs even back in the 70s. I listened to music on the radio. That was it. I can count the concerts I've been to in my life on one hand. It's just not my thing. I think most bands sound like crap live, which goes to prove how much wizardry goes on in the studio. Vocals especially. Ever hear Boston sing live? Dreadful.

You need to get people who live and breathe this stuff to give you feedback. They'll probably point out things that I'd never think of. To me, your first song was two loops alternated between each other. I'd bet you just copied and pasted each one throughout the song. At least that's how it sounded to me.

Anyway, that's what you get when you ask people like me, who don't understand your genre, to give you feedback.

Just being honest.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:02 pm

To me, your first song was two loops alternated between each other. I'd bet you just copied and pasted each one throughout the song. At least that's how it sounded to me.

Anyway, that's what you get when you ask people like me, who don't understand your genre, to give you feedback.

Just being honest.
Actually there's 3 different sections! But i get your point which is: You wouldn't notice that there's 3 different sections not two.

Thankyou for your help so far Wagtunes, and thankyou for your final (parting? oh this is emotional! it's like Strictly!) advice.

Do you want me to offer you when i have something different like this for example?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=540774

I just now thought you probably don't watch Strictly.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:02 pm

To me, your first song was two loops alternated between each other. I'd bet you just copied and pasted each one throughout the song. At least that's how it sounded to me.

Just being honest.
Actually there's 3 different sections! But i get your point which is: You wouldn't notice that there's 3 different sections not two.

Thankyou for your help so far Wagtunes, and thankyou for your final (parting? oh this is emotional! it's like Strictly!) advice.

Do you want me to offer you when i have something different like this for example?
This is what I wrote when I commented on it when you first posted it, so what do you think?
It sounds like everything was entered into a piano roll. As above said, velocity will help a lot. It's very robotic the way it is now. Compositionally, it's monotonous. There is very little variation. What comes around comes too late. That main riff, which is through the whole song, makes it feel like a loop, regardless of the little arrangement additions you make throughout the piece.

Having said all that, I have heard much worse. It's just that at over 5 minutes in length, this gets long very quickly. The breakdown at about 3:30 does help somewhat, but then there's still that same 4 note sequence.

There's just not enough going on here for me. Maybe if you cut out the 4 note riff it and replace it with something else that morphs throughout, the piece would be less monotonous.

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

Adios!

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:28 pm Adios!
Okay then. Sorry for my honesty. I can see it was a mistake.

That's why I've stopped commenting on music here unless requested. Obviously, I need to take those requests with a grain of salt too.

Before I go, I'm sorry that you don't want to hear the truth. Until you do, there's only so much better you're going to get.

Oh well, at least the mixes are decent enough to listen to.

Take care, good luck, see you around the forum.

No need to comment on anymore of my music.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:24 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Do you want me to offer you when i have something different like this for example?
This is what I wrote when I commented on it when you first posted it, so what do you think?
What does that say? That sarcastically or whatever said "No i do not", hence i said goodbye.

Here's where you encouraged me, by making me think that you wanted to give me constructive criticism:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=548842

I hadn't invited you to that one!

Return to “Music Cafe”