Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

I have a question regarding the parameter values for the Frequency Coarse & Frequency Fine. How do the dexed values relate to the "real" DX7 values?
FREQ. COARSE dexed = 0 - 31 DX7 = 0.5 - 31 (Does the dexed value of 0 correspond to the DX7 value of 0.5?)
FREQ. FINE dexed = 0 - 99 DX7 = 1.0 - 99

When the operator is set to FIXED, the dexed uses the same arbitrary numbers, while the DX7 shows the values in frequency (Hz).

What do you mean ?
Dexed shows frequency in hertz when set to fixed mode

Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

You're correct. I looked in the wrong place. You know... The box where all other parameter values are displayed!

Can someone help me understand the difference between a dexed patch that can be used by my volca FM, and one that can't? I'd like to start programming presets for my Volca using dexed but I'm not sure what will and will not translate once I hit "send to DX7"

If interested: The Surge team has forked Dexed and made some improvements.

https://surge-synth-team.org/dexed/

beltrom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:00 am If interested: The Surge team has forked Dexed and made some improvements.

This is great news. Finally a DX7 with MPE support!
I think the newer version is on the dexed nightly...
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases
First tests seem to work with pitch bend. Yet I have to figure out how to apply aftertouch and timbre... Timbre could be mapped to breath for example...
Thanks @baconpaul :clap: :clap: :clap: :hail:

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:19 am
beltrom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:00 am If interested: The Surge team has forked Dexed and made some improvements.

This is great news. Finally a DX7 with MPE support!
I think the newer version is on the dexed nightly...
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases
First tests seem to work with pitch bend. Yet I have to figure out how to apply aftertouch and timbre... Timbre could be mapped to breath for example...
Thanks @baconpaul :clap: :clap: :clap: :hail:
The Surge team picked up Dexed? That's great news. Not much is missing in Dexed as a Yamaha DX7 emulation. But it would be great if it would be extended to the TX81Z/DX11 algorithms and waveshapes. Or even grow towards the SY77/99 (though their modulation is way ahead, e.g. way more versatile envelopes). Also, the SY77/99 allow for 0 Hz fixed frequency (waveshaping) and init phase.
Last edited by Kwurqx on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Should there be a separate thread for the Surge fork of Dexed? It would be cool if it had an orange and blue Surge theme so it would be easier to know which version is which.

Oh this is the dexed thread!

We forked but we forked with the intent of merging our changes back which has happened. And still intend to work that way. So no orange and blue but we did tighten up a few ui things in our fork which merged back. It is not our goal to have a divergent fork.

So far we have added full scl/kbm support and partial mpe support. Mpe is pitch bend only. And we fixed some other minor things too.

And in the tx 81z comment you may have noticed the sin oscillator in surge 1.7.0 now supports all the tx81z waveforms. But we only have 3 oscillators so I couldn’t make lately bass quite right.

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am Oh this is the dexed thread!

We forked but we formed with the intent of merging our changes back which has happened. And still intend to work that way. So no orange and blue but we did tighten up a few ui things in our fork which merged back. It is not our goal to have a divergent fork.

So far we have added full scl/kbm support and partial mpe support. Mpe is pitch bend only. And we fixed some other minor things too.

And in the tx 81z comment you may have noticed the sin oscillator in surge 1.7.0 now supports all the tx81z waveforms. But we only have 3 oscillators so I couldn’t make lately bass quite right.
On github, it implies on one page that your fork is a few versions back (just after v.92 of the original), yet another page suggests you're about to release v.95. I just installed the "nightly build" from some night in April of this year (the latest one, I guess), but it doesn't say which version it is -- it's just a bunch of numbers and letters.

Is there an easy way to tell which version the latest version is, where it fits with the original version(s), and when the new version will be out...now that you're merging them back? Maybe it's just me, but this is the first a lot of us have heard about this version of Dexed, and while we appreciate you taking it on, it can get confusing trying to maintain two installed versions of the synth.

Thanks!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Oh cool and I see pascal got the azure pipelines running too so you can even grab the nightly from him. So his GitHub is now ahead of our fork (something I will fix this weekend). Just use versions from his github now that’s all working. (We also shared our build infra with him).

I will update our website and stuff this wkend to reflect that

@planetearth see above. Now that pascal has merged he has a nightly version and a release version. The surge nightly is currently between those two but that’s gonna catch up this weekend. I don’t know when there will be a formal numbered release from the nightly by the dexed team. Again we don’t plan on doing that - we aren’t maintaining a production release fork.

Oh and @planetearth iirc I added the git hash into the dexed version so you can always know exactly what code your synth is built against. That set of letters is a reference to the codebase which lets you disambiguate nightlies

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am So far we have added full scl/kbm support and partial mpe support. Mpe is pitch bend only. And we fixed some other minor things too.
Endless appreciation for the scl/kbm support, seriously. Thank you thank you thank you. :party:

cantaloupe wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:18 am
baconpaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am So far we have added full scl/kbm support and partial mpe support. Mpe is pitch bend only. And we fixed some other minor things too.
Endless appreciation for the scl/kbm support, seriously. Thank you thank you thank you. :party:
You are welcome! We actually took the surge SCL/KBM implementation and made it a standalone open source library which any synth can incorporate. So dexed, surge, and our tuning workbench synth (check it out at surge-synth-team.org) use the exact same code path for tuning support. While surge and other synths are licensed under GPL3 we purposefully licensed the tuning library under MIT so it is easy to include in other synths too. If synth devs are interested in that hit us up on github or slack.

Return to “Instruments”