Pitchbend conversion in MPE

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I found SampleRobot to be OK. I feel like my Bitwig based auto sampling technique is faster, actually, and I sold Samplerobot.

I'm doing a slightly modified version of what Polarity is showing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOxo3Yseu7w

It is *fast* and you can simply drag and drop the samples into a sampler instance and save it as a multisample.

Noumena wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:20 pm I found SampleRobot to be OK. I feel like my Bitwig based auto sampling technique is faster, actually, and I sold Samplerobot.
Good to know... saves the cost of SampleRobot! :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:19 am
Noumena wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:20 pm I found SampleRobot to be OK. I feel like my Bitwig based auto sampling technique is faster, actually, and I sold Samplerobot.
Good to know... saves the cost of SampleRobot! :tu:
I use do do something similar in Ableton with the clip bouncing. But if you want to change things like number of samples per octave or the full range of notes, legnths etc., it is a bit tedious.

Currently I'm liking NewSonicarts for auto-sampling vsts. I use it for lots of other things (Kore type morphing and snapshots for example), but you can convert a whole instrument/effects setup to nuance even if you don' town Nuance (their sampler) - it opens a demo version but the samples are on the hard drive. You set the octaves, number of velocity levels, note per octave. And with Moss's script you can save the multi-samples as Bitwig format instantly. I'm also trying to convince NSA to add a round robin setting to sample round robins. They are pretty responsive so hopefully we'll see that (Nuance has Round robins so it would make sense).

I love Freestyle and spent a lot of time using it to do this -- you might try again in Bitwig or watch the video just to make sure that it is better. I can go from clicking bounce to loading my new multisample in maybe four clicks (now that I've set up my templates....) If you name the files properly BW Sampler parses note and velocity automatically when you drag the samples in. Does VST sampling in Freestyle do that now (it didn't do this well when I was using it.) I'll have to check it out. Honestly I wish the $10k of sample libraries that I have would just allow me to access the files. Kontakt is fine, but the things that you can do in the grid with samples is just amazing (and so fast and easy to do...)

Noumena wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 am I love Freestyle and spent a lot of time using it to do this -- you might try again in Bitwig or watch the video just to make sure that it is better. I can go from clicking bounce to loading my new multisample in maybe four clicks (now that I've set up my templates....) If you name the files properly BW Sampler parses note and velocity automatically when you drag the samples in. Does VST sampling in Freestyle do that now (it didn't do this well when I was using it.) I'll have to check it out. Honestly I wish the $10k of sample libraries that I have would just allow me to access the files. Kontakt is fine, but the things that you can do in the grid with samples is just amazing (and so fast and easy to do...)
Can you tell up what Freestyle refers to in this context? I've tried searching and even with "freestyle sampler" as the search term, I'm getting far too many entries for Blood Glucose Sugar Monitoring, as fine and noble an activity as that no doubt is ;-)
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Freestyle and Nuance are products from New Sonic Arts. Freestyle let's you host and patch vst plugins on a modular environment. It also has a feature that allows you to auto sample synths and samplers to soundfont... that's what we're talking about. Workflows to resample Kontakt libraries to Bitwig sampler. OT to be sure.

Noumena wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 am I love Freestyle and spent a lot of time using it to do this -- you might try again in Bitwig or watch the video just to make sure that it is better. I can go from clicking bounce to loading my new multisample in maybe four clicks (now that I've set up my templates....) If you name the files properly BW Sampler parses note and velocity automatically when you drag the samples in. Does VST sampling in Freestyle do that now (it didn't do this well when I was using it.) I'll have to check it out.
Moss has a script to create Bitwig sampler files from collections of samples. It's a one click kind of thing that can work on a directory full of multi-sample folders all at once. It had an issue with the Freestyle sample naming at first but Moss graciously made a tweak when I pointed that out and now reads the freestyle naming format perfectly.

Sorry for OT...
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turns out that I already have FreeStyle in my collection of rarely used VSTs. This sampling aspect of it sounds intriguing; I'll have to revisit it. Thanks for the heads-up ;-)

carlca wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm Turns out that I already have FreeStyle in my collection of rarely used VSTs. This sampling aspect of it sounds intriguing; I'll have to revisit it. Thanks for the heads-up ;-)
Be sure to grab Moss's sampler script as well to use with it.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:01 pm
carlca wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm Turns out that I already have FreeStyle in my collection of rarely used VSTs. This sampling aspect of it sounds intriguing; I'll have to revisit it. Thanks for the heads-up ;-)
Yeah! I've used Moss' sampler script a few times now. Apart from having to be careful with file names (especially avoiding duplicates), it works really well.

carlca wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:05 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:01 pm
Yeah! I've used Moss' sampler script a few times now. Apart from having to be careful with file names (especially avoiding duplicates), it works really well.
Oh! I see what you mean - using FreeStyle PLUS Moss' script ;-)

carlca wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:07 pm Oh! I see what you mean - using FreeStyle PLUS Moss' script ;-)
Yeah Moss's script just creates the bitwig multisample file for the samples created by Freestyle. So then you can browse multi-samples (like single instruments/presets) in Bitwig's browser and just load the one file.

Ok, I know it’s so OT, but here we are. I just went through this process w freestyle and the moss script and, yes, it’s nice... but my preference (emphasis on preference) is still to stay in Bitwig and do it native. There I can sample my Bitwig presets w my effects and setups, etc, and if you name the midi files properly you literally click bounce and then drag the list of files into sampler and it auto-assembles them into a multi. It is lucky to have both workflows available... be sure to try them both out and see what you prefer.

Return to “Bitwig”