How many virtual instruments of each kind do you actually use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So most of us probably own more plugins than we typically use much, if at all. That's a given. :)

But, like the title says - do you actually use multiple, say, wavetable synths .. ? Samplers (not counting such things as Kontakt, which usually are there mostly to load up libraries) .. ? Et cetera.

Just curious. Also, I've recently stripped my softsynths back to "what I need", so one of each kind. We'll see how that goes, of course. ;)

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Analogue , V.a. flavour : reaktor , zebra , Talmod , tranzistow
FM flavour : reaktor , zebra , dexed , tranzistow
Spectral ,additive , Zebra , reaktor
1:1 emulations : abl3 , tal bassline , herman seib ppg , pg8x
Sampling :renoise

While in essence all available synthesis methods can be achieved with reaktor and tranzistow , I oftengrab for less cpu intensive plugins like zebra , a perfect balance between quality and cpu usage
I seriously don't need anything else
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I don't look at synths that way. I don't say "I need a wavetable synth for this song in order to make this sound." I look at each synth the same way and decide which one I think will give me the best sound for the track that I'm doing that I'm looking for. Sometimes it's not even a synth. Sometimes it's a sample library or a lone sample that I load into Kontakt. Sometimes it's something in Omnisphere. Sometimes Synth1 is all I need to do what I need to do.

Lately, I've been more into "non synth sounding" music. Meaning stuff that sounds like a rock band. So I find myself using the following a lot.

MODO Drums
MODO Bass
Music Labs Real Guitars Series
VSL Orchestral Libraries

And then maybe I'll sprinkle in a pad or synth lead, But for the most part, I've been spending more time on realistic instrument simulations than synth sounds.

But to me, synths are synths. I don't see type.

I could probably do it well with having only one synth of each synthesis type.. But I have some bought second hand and those can't be sold anymore so.. I'm stuck with a bunch of each type.

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 pm42.
And that's just the virtual analogues.

The answer to life, the universe, and everything.

1x VA
1x Wavetable
2x Samplers (1x for melodic stuff, 1x for percussion / drums)

But i plan to add an Übersynth to that arsenal whenever / if Zebra 3 might surface
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

kvotchin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 pm So most of us probably own more plugins than we typically use much, if at all. That's a given. :)

But, like the title says - do you actually use multiple
I go by sounds, not by plugins. I use lot's of sounds, and always trying
more. It's like buying oranges, you can buy a bag, a crate, or a single item.
And knowing the skin thickness, ripeness, and overall condition, is crucial
with oranges!

An instrument with one sound or feature I love is better than three
with sounds or features I like, but that lack the love potion :hyper:

I should add that my taste in sounds has changed dramatically in the past 5 years,
so I have to keep going back and re-searching older purchases.

I am def. not one to have [many] redundancies in synths. Multiple wavetable synths sounds more like ferengi acquisitiveness than creative to me.
I have around 40 individ. 'instruments' in this project, I think ten are orchestra sections, using 7 different instrument plugins. One is a synth, Absynth. I use my shit, tho.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One VA for bass, another VA for synthy sounds, yet another VA for pads. Stringmachine (VST) for ... strings :D Sonic Charge Cyclone/Luxonix Purity for rompler sounds
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

typically -

one drum vst - Linplug RMiV
one VA for bass - Elektro, charlatan, minimoogv, Asynth
one VA for synth sounds - synth1, obxd,pg8x
one rompler for pads - M1, WS, or Ravity
one WT or sampler for leads - Surge, SQ8L and Zampler
one various for arps - EnergyPro, Vanguard, DuneBE, Albino3, Toxic3, Vstation
one FM, PM or Additive for keys - OXEfm, PlastiCZ and Microtera
Last edited by layzer on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

There's no particular sense in having just one "kind" of synth when the variety within that "kind" is so vast.

What I tend to use now, aside from hardware, is:

Aalto (FM, distortion synthesis, basic physical modeling and/or subtractive... generally "West Coast")
Bitwig Grid (additive, subtractive, FM, phase modulation, AM, distortion synthesis, phase modulation, VOSIM, physical modeling, granular or whatever... modular!)
Bitwig Organ (additive)
Buchla Easel V (FM, distortion synthesis, "West Coast")
Chipsounds (partially sample-based synthesis, emulation of 70s and 80s computer and video game sound; some models have filters)
Chipsynth MD (FM, emulation of Sega Genesis)
Chipsynth PortaFM (FM, emulation of Yamaha PSS keyboards)
Fundamental (additive, emulation of test equipment oscillators)
LuSH-101 (subtractive)

courtjestr wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm
The answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Bullshit! The answer to life, the universe, and everything is REAPER! There is a fundamental mistake in the formula. I've corrected that!

Return to “Instruments”