What can rival the Sonalksis SV-315 compressor in 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Following from my other thread about getting up to speed regarding the last 15 years of software evolution.
For about a four year period from the early to mid 2000s I tried nearly all available software compressors, and came to the conclusion that the Sonalksis comp was uniquely un-software-like. I don't have experience with analogue gear so I can't say if it faithfully mimics the behaviour of a valve compressor etc., but it felt alive in a way that nothing else did, including all the expensive brands of that time. Voxengo had some good products too, but not quite in the same league.

How does the Sonalksis compare to the current generation of compressors? Has anyone here found anything else to be superior?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Current state software comps are about as good hardware, in some cases better (less noise, more features). Dave Gamble coded the SV-315 and he's the guy behind DMG Audio, so the DMG Audio's TrackComp2 is probably a good starting point. Doesn't have a skeuomorphic GUI, but has a ton of analog modeled compressors, including a "DMG" model. I'd think the guy that made SV-315 all those years ago has learned a few things since.

Other excellent compressors on a similar analog modeled trip: Kush Audio (Novatron, AR-1), UAD (if you have the expensive hardware), Fuse Audio, Black Rooster Audio, DDMF's MDE and Pulsar's Mu are also excellent. Unisum is a clean, mastering-grade, style compressor but has a depth and just gorgeous sound that makes it incredible across the two-buss.

Lots of really just incredible stuff out there if you know where to look.

Current state software comps are about as good hardware, in some cases better. Really? So how many of the real hardware compressor s have you experience of that’s been emulated to software? I doubt you have. Your claim is silly. Like I would claim amp sims are about as good hardware , in some cases better(less noise, morr features).Sure software has become better.

Plenty of mixers have gone to working ITB. The currently available compressors are very good. I don't claim them to be identical but you can get similar results to hardware and just mix on the computer. I remember loving the SV-315 when it came out and I bought it right away. I can honestly say that I have not used it in years though. Get something inexpensive like MJUC and you will be more than covered. It won't sound identical but it will actually sound better and respond better. From there, you can always get more compressors from Softube, Wave, Plugin Alliance, etc. I have dozens of choices but I tend toward just a handful. Don't let not having everything stop you from working with what you have.

How does the DMG Audio TrackComp2 compare with Fabfilter Pro-C? Or Pro-C 2?

Thanks!

I think Pro-C is a pretty generic sounding comp like the SV-315. TrackComp emulates many different analog compressors: LA2A, 1178, ect.

Modern compressors to try:
Kotelnikov GE
Unisum

Vibe:
Kush AR-1

Fabfilter proc2 is fine, and easy to use, but I never really use it. Good to have a generic comp though.

Daimonicon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 pm Current state software comps are about as good hardware, in some cases better. Really? So how many of the real hardware compressor s have you experience of that’s been emulated to software? I doubt you have. Your claim is silly. Like I would claim amp sims are about as good hardware , in some cases better(less noise, morr features).Sure software has become better.
My claim is silly? You're talking out your ass. I've got some excellent Stam 1176 and LA-2A hardware clones right here about 2 feet away, and the Audioscape SSL clone. Next hardware compressor will be a Distressor. Yeah, great software compression is about as good as hardware compression (I've done A/B's and close enough where one is not necessarily 'better' than the other) and definitely better in some regards (noise, recall, multiple instances, no repairs). I use hardware on the way in, and software ITB. Every now and then, I'll fly something out to the hardware comps and print, but it's not the norm. It's not like "OMG, the hardware totally blows software away."

Shane Sanders wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:43 pm How does the DMG Audio TrackComp2 compare with Fabfilter Pro-C? Or Pro-C 2?

Thanks!
Pro-C doesn't really saturate and model input/output stages, so right off the bat they're very different there (unless you're comparing the DMG mode in TrackComp2 to Pro-C 2). TrackComp is full of character compressors. TrackComp 2 is stupidly good and the price is ridiculous.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 pm Modern compressors to try:
Kotelnikov GE
Totally forgot to mention that one in my first post in this thread.

What does everyone think of Bootsy's compressors at Variety of Sound:

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Excellent #tools until this very day; yet also tied into the good old 32 bit world. The SlickEQ being the only glorious 'new' exception. I would really love to see TDR doing some more VOS #plugs & its pretty crazy that no one tried to port these to 64 Bits. Maybe its not possible for some reason.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 pm Excellent #tools until this very day; yet also tied into the good old 32 bit world. The SlickEQ being the only glorious 'new' exception. I would really love to see TDR doing some more VOS #plugs & its pretty crazy that no one tried to port these to 64 Bits. Maybe its not possible for some reason.
I'm still running all kinds of 32 bit things. Doesn't bother me at all because my computer is a beast right now. :-)

Dmg audio which is dave gamble , who also did the sonalksis stuff
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Shane Sanders wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:43 pm How does the DMG Audio TrackComp2 compare with Fabfilter Pro-C? Or Pro-C 2?

Thanks!
Dmg audio is a few notches above fabfilter ( more than a few to be honoust ) , serious
It's real time emulation of the circuits ,all the best legendary compressors in one package ..go for it :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Effects”