Plugins like the JD-990?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few people have recommended this synth to me to get a particular glass pad sound I'm looking for (#18, "glass voices": https://www.synthmania.com/jd-990.htm). From the samples I've heard it sounds great, any plugin emulations out there? Or any synth that can do comparable things? Or maybe just some tutorials to figure out how to do this in something like Ableton's Operator? Thanks!

Omnisphere

Roland Cloud JV 1080 perhaps?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The JD-990 is the rack version of the Roland JD-800, which is a ROMpler / LA synthesis hybrid. It was the successor to the D-50 and derives it’s sounds from it.

It was followed by the JV-1080.

So my recommendation would be to check out the D-50 and JV-1080 in Roland Cloud.

https://rolandcloud.com/catalog/legendary
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Nothing sounds like a JD-990. Not even Omnisphere. JV-1080 also doesn't sound like JD-990 even in hardware form. Roland did some magic in the output stage there that they didn't do in any other hardware unit they ever did afterwards. There's some weight and presence not otherwise attainable.

I own one. Would not ever sell it.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

auron wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 amOmnisphere
Eric Persing did the sounds for the D-50 / JD-800 / JD-990 and he also did Omnisphere, so it could be a good choice as well.

Omnisphere is getting a bit long in the tooth, though, isn’t it?
Last edited by jamcat on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Omni still sounds great, though, despite how old it is - it did receive continuous massive updates.

The difference between the patch on the virtual JV-1080 and the Concerto sampled JD-990 is minimal - other than the Concerto version being a lot louder and with no chorus or reverb effects on the JV-1080 patch.

It does sound like the kind of thing you'd be able to approximate in Operator using the additive oscillators and minimal FM. The core waveforms the JV-1080 version uses are one instance of Fine Wine (which sounds like a synthesised high organ flute) and two of Pop Voices. They go through minimal processing (at least that how it seems from a quick look at the patch structure).

I had the JD-990 and have Omnisphere and Omnisphere has some samples from the pads I like from the JD-990, that was the reason I sold it, but Omnisphere doesn't have everything and the JD-990 also has "its sound" manly from its effects!

Quite the legendary synth :love:
I doubt Operator will get you where you want to go. As mentioneded by others Roland Cloud or Omnishpere are probably closest, but for a cheaper non-subscription option Rob Papen's Vecto might get you somewhere in the ballpark.
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

synth1

The "Anthology 1993" sample library at Roand Cloud (for their Concerto sample player) contains a bigger amount of patches from the JD-990. The library is available at Roland Cloud Manager in 3 parts with more than 6 GB overall size. Opposing to most of their other plugins the Anthology series is currently not available as a liftetime license but only with a subscription (a Pro subscription is minimum for this).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am Nothing sounds like a JD-990. Not even Omnisphere. JV-1080 also doesn't sound like JD-990 even in hardware form. Roland did some magic in the output stage there that they didn't do in any other hardware unit they ever did afterwards. There's some weight and presence not otherwise attainable.

I own one. Would not ever sell it.
Indeed. Two synths I do regret I've sold in the past - JD-990 with analog expansion board and Ensoniq FIZMO.

p.s. I do own Omni as well. Beautiful synth. Tons of inspiration, but it's not like the mighty 990.

jamcat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 am
auron wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 amOmnisphere
Eric Persing did the sounds for the D-50 / JD-800 / JD-990 and he also did Omnisphere, so it could be a good choice as well.

Omnisphere is getting a bit long in the tooth, though, isn’t it?
Wait! Which one is longer in the tooth? Spectrasonics or Roland?
:lol:

Overflow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm Indeed. Two synths I do regret I've sold in the past - JD-990 with analog expansion board and Ensoniq FIZMO.
I own both :party:

Return to “Instruments”