Wrapping plugins with Novation Automap is dangerous

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Smasha
KVRist
40 posts since 4 Jun, 2010

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:42 pm

I uninstalled automap and the CC functions work now!

Sorry for the rant,user error on my part.

It is a great kb ,just me being a ning nong.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8408 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:15 am

You don't need to uninstall automap, you just use a midi template. But yeah you don't need automap software installed if you want to use archaic midi cc learn (which is way worse - why record midi cc automation when you can record and automate the parameters directly?).
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

chk071
KVRAF
25459 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:49 am

Automap is discontinued anyway. And, it never really worked great for me either.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

WasteLand
KVRian
988 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:06 am

i work with automap, it works great. i never encountered problems, when a plugin wasn't wrapped, or was wrapped, that it didn't load. (it took the automap version when it wasn't wrapped, and the other way around). native instruments maschine 2.x doesn't care, as cubase pro 10.5 (and previous versions). i have also reaper, ableton, but i didn't notice any odd behavior. on windows, by the way. bitwig seems not to like automap...

it is discontinued, while i had an e-mail conversation, about some bugs, they reproduced it, and would fix it, but in the mean time the announcement was made. i am waiting still on a reply to my latest e-mail, why if the dev team already reproduced it, don't they make a last one, for windows..

o well. automap will stay working on windows, untill 32 bit programs, the server is 32 bits, perhaps some other stuff, like bonjour too, i don't know. but everything works for 64 DAW's and plugins. so untill 32 bits programs aren't supported anymore.

it always worked for me, it still does. i have more solutions (nektar panaroma p1, a MCU, for ableton the push 2 (with the 128 limit), etc), so in the end. when it stops working. i hope it will work for a long time.
i use it only for plugins, sometimes for transport, but then the keyboard is in ableton mode, no transport controls on push 2...
(novation sl 49 mkii, zero sl mkii and a sl 49 compact, the last one is more a backup keyboard, but i use it sometimes, when i am not in my studio).

i think most of the times, that it doesn't work well: cubase you have to load new or updated plugins, first unwrapped, then wrap them (after quit cubase...) and then cubase after 2 restarts get the automap versions, in vst3 cases.
also the midi ports must be set right. or you get a lot of problems..

in ableton i didn't notice this, the OP mentions ableton specificily?
win 10 pro; cubase 10.5 pro, live 10 suite+push 2, reaper, reason 11 suite, bitwig studio 3, maschine mk3+jam, arturia V collection 7, korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM, meldaproduction etc.
https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

WasteLand
KVRian
988 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:08 am

mutantdog wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 am
I don't know about other hosts but in Ableton, if the Automap version isn't there it just loads the normal version of the plugin with the same parameters, so no loss at all.
why not quote in my post before, i am lazy. it seems ableton has also no problems.

(although for vst3 versions, you must take a different road to recognize them in ableton, than in cubase. in reaper both version appear (but no clue which one.. most of the times the first or second one, haha))
win 10 pro; cubase 10.5 pro, live 10 suite+push 2, reaper, reason 11 suite, bitwig studio 3, maschine mk3+jam, arturia V collection 7, korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM, meldaproduction etc.
https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Return to “Instruments”