Halion 6 vs Sampletank 4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bippo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 am Buy hardware.
I've got yamaha's modx, it's 10x better than halionn/sampletank/omni.
All the presets are excellent and those vstis sound very pale and weak in comparison.
In modx you've got lcd touch screen where you can assign all different sounds, I use it with the midi out plugin in fl studio and I've got everything I need.
Yeah modx sounds so amazing and its quite affordable , does not mean that i have 1200 bucks lying around here :hihi:

Haha, well, eventually you get what you pay for :D

All the presets are excellent and those vstis sound very pale and weak in comparison.
In modx you've got lcd touch screen where you can assign all different sounds, I use it with the midi out plugin in fl studio and I've got everything I need.
I really would love to invest into hardware again. Best work flow ever. However, I'm completely itb now due to ergonomic space and I'm invested financially in many vsts. However, I personally love the sounds in Halion. Except the pianos. I'm not doing any scoring or any hyper realistic to things. Mainly producing hip hop and pop artists. Those pianos in Sampletank are amazing though. I really wanna buy just the pianos. I'd pay just as much for the full certain if u can get just the pianos and not all that extra bloat.

damayor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:43 am
I really would love to invest into hardware again. Best work flow ever. However, I'm completely itb now due to ergonomic space and I'm invested financially in many vsts. However, I personally love the sounds in Halion. Except the pianos. I'm not doing any scoring or any hyper realistic to things. Mainly producing hip hop and pop artists. Those pianos in Sampletank are amazing though. I really wanna buy just the pianos. I'd pay just as much for the full certain if u can get just the pianos and not all that extra bloat.
One option i been looking at even though it's for kontakt is Neo Workstation. I really like the sounds in that.

damayor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:43 am I really wanna buy just the pianos. I'd pay just as much for the full certain if u can get just the pianos and not all that extra bloat.
You should be able to install only the pianos. But one thing I don't like about IK is if you don't download the sounds after some time they will expire. So I would download all the installation files to an external hard drive, just in case I decide to install some other sounds later.

Unlike ST3, the downloads are at least categorised in ST4 though the whole process of downloading them is a bit of a PITA because it doesn't lend itself to using download managers.

There is one other wrinkle with IK: check that the pianos you want are in the version you're thinking about buying. The acoustic pianos in Max stack up to about 40GB on their own: most of that is a Yamaha C7. The electrics about 1GB. There are also some pianos that were add-ons in ST3 like the Brandenburg and Art Deco which became part of the Max package that was available in the original upgrade preorder but I'm not sure how much of all this goes into the regular and SE versions, or even today's ST4 Max. With Halion, there's no confusion: the whole library is in there, no ifs no buts.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... arison.pdf

And it's best to wait for a sale if you do go down this route. IK does them regularly.

If I download everything are the piano Samples in their own folder on my pc?

The downloads are partitioned. The acoustic pianos for Max are in a 16-part archive. There are 60 compressed archive files for ST4 in Max. The other versions will be smaller – I don't know by how much.

When installed, the patches and samples go into categorised folders under the main ST4 folder.

I was just going through the sounds and some of these are great guitars like, pianos I like and woodwinds. Strings I don't like but I'm more of a cinematic string type though. But overall not bad. Not as bad as I thought yesterday

Steinberg Grand 3 are the pianos which fit The HALion sound better.
And I do find them quicker and more responsive in many ways compared to the NI pianos and the STank pianos.

As mentioned before by someone else.
"IK can be a bit of a PITA", and has it's own wrinkles. Which became too time consuming for me personally.

Give the Grand 3 a try.
Buy only when on sale though.

I am trying the grand 3 I went ahead against sample tank just don't see where it's bringing anything amazing to the workflow for sounds. I was optimistic for extremely realistic acoustic instruments but I have great pianos and strings I'm covered and I didn't like the strings anyways and synths I got everything ever needed for synths. Can Sampletank even sample? I George matched it with Halion and sample tank best it on acoustics no doubt but everything else Halion. Flexphrase is great and wavetable/grandular synths. Why isn't this beating out kontakt?

I decided to invest in iconica and grand 3 with halion 6 so I can do mostly everything on one environment. Those iconica strings and brass sound really good

Bippo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:54 am Haha, well, eventually you get what you pay for :D
that's true: you pay for an illusion and this is exactly what you get.

I'm sure you will make a lot of friends in this forum :tu:

BTW ... hardware workstations are overrated, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure you'll find virtual synths and Kontakt libraries that sound as good as your Yamaha modx

audiot wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm sure you will make a lot of friends in this forum :tu:

BTW ... hardware workstations are overrated, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure you'll find virtual synths and Kontakt libraries that sound as good as your Yamaha modx
I agree I sold off all my hardware long ago and never looked back. I miss the Yamaha motif though and the Korg for their karma arpeggios. However, Halion 6 keeps me content and I just bought iconica pack and the grand 3. Last night I went through my kontakt huge library and started deleting gigs and gigs of useless libraries. I was a hoarder. Some of it was good awful. Sampletank is not even in my thoughts anymore. Now it's Halion 6 vs falcon. That though I think is 100% over lap

Return to “Instruments”