Iris 2 is so frustrating

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I loaded a sample and I want to use Iris 2 essentially as a simple EQ. Should be easy, right? Of course not. For some reason, no matter what I do, it won't play the whole sample back even though I have the whole thing selected. It only allows playback up to where the large yellow waveform ends.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just some sort of limitation? It does this for everything I load and it's driving me mad. Any help would be appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheAbysmalVoid on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I might be wrong, but playing the whole sample would require [Forward] setting instead of [Loop]. The latter plays only the looped region, which is not necessarily the whole sample nor the selected one.

I tried that, I've messed with everything I can think of and it still won't play the whole thing.

If you want to play the full sample's length, you need to make a selection of that length. Iris will only play material that's selected (the yellow-on-blue bits). In your image, there's about 15% at the end that isn't going to play unless you reselect it.

EDIT: Looking a bit closer, the borders suggest there's some kind of multiple selection thing going on - did you define a negative selection at the end?

That's what I'm trying to get at. I have the whole thing selected, but for some reason it won't play all of it. I didn't do anything with it, just made a new patch and loaded my sample. It seems I'm missing something simple and obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

The only thing I can suggest is "Clear All Selections" [box with a cross in it at lower left] and reselect.

Depress the Loop button that's located next to the Playback Forwards dropdown. Check the Loop End box below the waveform - is loop end same as sample end, or can you increase the value? Set it to zero. Then make your selection. Make sure you're playing a long enough note to run through the whole sample.

Iris 2 is now only $12 in PB.

I used it only once, but I liked it.
I think I watched this video before using it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jJytVNoKE
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

Maximum length for sample is 60 seconds.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:20 am Maximum length for sample is 60 seconds.
Well, there's my answer. Thanks. Such a brilliant synth, shame they have to implement a limit like that. I guess they must have their reasons.

TheAbysmalVoid wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:31 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:20 am Maximum length for sample is 60 seconds.
Well, there's my answer. Thanks. Such a brilliant synth, shame they have to implement a limit like that. I guess they must have their reasons.
Your lament is widely shared. It seems like a not-terribly-deep investment in cleaning some things up, adding a few features, and squashing a few bugs would yield a huge improvement, but no one understands why Izotope won't make that investment. :?

commerce wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 am Iris 2 is now only $12 in PB.

I used it only once, but I liked it.
I think I watched this video before using it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jJytVNoKE
Thanks

menthol wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 pmno one understands why Izotope won't make that investment.
The Izotope product manager told me it's because there wasn't interest by enough musicians to cover iZotope's very high development costs. Iris 1 appealed only to the handful of sound designers, so with Iris 2 they added a lot of synth samples to attract users of analog-modeled synths. But that was not quick-and-easy enough, compared to all the much simpler plugins.
Perhaps if iZotope was based in a lower-cost country like Czechoslovakia (e.g. Melda) rather than one of the world's most expensive places (Cambridge MA) they could afford to update Iris? Will thousands of musicians who buy a $12 Iris then pay $100 for any kind of update?
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:29 amThe Izotope product manager told me it's because there wasn't interest by enough musicians to cover iZotope's very high development costs. Iris 1 appealed only to the handful of sound designers...
Naaa, the records of my Iris subscription tell me otherwise, hundreds of users have been using Iris 1/2 and they definitely weren't all sound designers.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:34 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:29 amThe Izotope product manager told me it's because there wasn't interest by enough musicians to cover iZotope's very high development costs. Iris 1 appealed only to the handful of sound designers...
Naaa, the records of my Iris subscription tell me otherwise, hundreds of users have been using Iris 1/2 and they definitely weren't all sound designers.
Maybe everyone needs your Subscription to make the most of Iris??? (speaking as someone who bought the whole enchilada...)
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Instruments”