Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:06 pm Thanks, fair enough.

I think I won't update for the time being, not much of a preset user so i don't care much about that browser.
They install separately :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:39 pm

I think I won't update for the time being, not much of a preset user so i don't care much about that browser.

Only on PC.

Edit: ahh he is on PC.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:41 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Only on PC.

Edit: ahh he is on PC.
rsp
Can't you rename the plugin adding "_old" on OSX? I've no idea.

Anyway, the browser is fine, but I hoped for 125% GUI size option - 100% is too small, 150% is too big. Hopefully in next version.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I did install 1.5 it now coexists with 1.1. (PC).

I compared some factory presets and i can't seem to hear any difference between the new version and the old one.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Ok. I did a project.... same factory patches with both 1.1 and 1.5.

Five patches in each..
I then did a 180 degrees on the Spire 1.5 patches.
here is what I found.

On one Patch BA Sub Bass, 1.5 was 6db louder, once I dropped it by 6db, they went to zero.

On Another Patch Big Sound BS 04, they nulled without having to play with the relative volumes.

The other three patches, PL Anjuna Pluck 1, PD Pulser and Key Hyrid FL, no amount of relative volume changes made them null.
However I then duplicated each 1.1 version of those, and they didn't null either with their duplicate (after 180 degrees shift)....

Draw your own conclusions.

I think some volume changes might have happened some places, but not sure if on the whole sound changes have occurred.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zvenx on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Just checked the preset PL Anjuna Pluck 1, in v. 1.5 the output volume for this preset is set louder than v.1.1. Once the volume is matched they sound identical.

This is an unison-based sound with free running phase, i think this is why it's not going to null between the 2 versions nor bewteen 2 isntances of the same version

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:41 pm Just checked the preset PL Anjuna Pluck 1, in v. 1.5 the output volume for this preset is set louder than v.1.1. Once the volume is matched they sound identical.

This is an unison-based sound with free running phase, i think this is why it's not going to null between the 2 versions nor bewteen 2 isntances of the same version
Got ya.
I did further tests.....
I exported the project above (it is no audio masterpiece, just a quick test).. Four bars, Four Four bars in all, each of those four bars are either all 1.1 or all 1.5.... I couldn't tell them apart and I know the answer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkujid7nmaln4 ... e.mp3?dl=0

But this audio has a lot of low end that you will need headphones or speakers to hear, so I went back a quick 8 bar I did yesterday just to see how cubendo would translate between 1.5 and 1.1 on pc since it allows both to be installed. so I did the same thing.. Four repeats of the same 8 bars (this time) and each section is all 1.1 or all 1.5.
I couldn't tell them apart and I knew the answer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssgu9suomhkaj ... l.mp3?dl=0

rsp
sound sculptist

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:41 pm Just checked the preset PL Anjuna Pluck 1, in v. 1.5 the output volume for this preset is set louder than v.1.1. Once the volume is matched they sound identical.

And Indeed comparing BA Sub Bass, in 1.5 Boost is on, it isn't in 1.1.... Applying it to 1.1 they null.
rsp
sound sculptist

I see. I think when they put together the presets from different factory banks into the new library they might have tweaked the levels here and there to get more coherent sound across the library.

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:24 pm I see. I think when they put together the presets from different factory banks into the new library they might have tweaked the levels here and there to get more coherent sound across the library.
I think so, and a few were re-categorized too.
rsp
sound sculptist

The loudness issue is not a real problem.
The new update introduces a new preset & bank file formats. The factory presets now are in the new [spf2] format and they have been sorted, tagged & embedded with icons, they reside in new folders.

All is good in this regard. And surely it is a really appreciated addition.

What really concerns, is the notably high CPU usage! Can some of you guys post screenshots to show comparison so that the dev can take a note?

phreaque wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:34 pm The loudness issue is not a real problem.
The new update introduces a new preset & bank file formats. The factory presets now are in the new [spf2] format and they have been sorted, tagged & embedded with icons, they reside in new folders.

All is good in this regard. And surely it is a really appreciated addition.

What really concerns, is the notably high CPU usage! Can some of you guys post screenshots to show comparison so that the dev can take a note?
I do agree the loudness is not an issue, once it recalls at the right volume from older projects. I just did it to see if the sound had changed.

RE: cpu.
I did a page or two ago, and sent it in..... a few people on their facebook channel have too. I am sure they know by now.
Hopefully it is a simple issue, like someone forgot to take off the extra 'tracking' stuff from the beta or forgot to tick a compiler flag.

we shall see.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Hope so :) thanks mate

Another data point here, for seeing higher CPU usage. I didn't do any scientific experimentation, just a feel thing and seemed higher. I don't remember any presets causing enough spikes to cause dropouts in my setup before version 1.5, but am seeing a few with the 1.5 version.

If anyone's interested, I did actually "find time" (enthusiasm more accurately) to write a short WinBatch script that uses mouse & keyboard control to automate exporting existing sound banks into separate .spf files. If you're interested in getting the free demo of WinBatch and downloading the script I'll put in in a public Google Drive folder. If anyone is too finicky about installing new programs on their music PC and they trust their antivirus program and mine, lemme know and I'll compile it into a standalone .exe with no install required.

I'm also thinking of writing a program to compile groups of .spf files into ver. 1.17 .sbf-format files for the purpose of making Pad Banks, Pluck Banks, etc., just in case RS can't undo this CPU issue. If anyone would love to see this, lemme know. Again, it's simple mouse/keyboard scripting, nothing fancy, but it'll do the work.

Return to “Instruments”