Leading effects brands? Unlimited budget.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

u-he, too--some great synths and effects.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Jkist wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 pm
jochicago wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 pm
Fabfilter is considered by many the top of the line, but for their price and reputation they are actually some of the most criticized plugins in terms of sound. Overall my impression is that FF has the best and most complete featureset for track-level plugins, but the sound is not indisputably top-of-the-line, more like very good and reliable.
I am genuinely curious about which plugins you think fall short in terms of sound. Their reverb sounds great to me ears, on par with any of the other big industry competitors. The EQ is very nice and transparent, which is generally what you want with an EQ. The limiter seems to be well regarded in general, though I don't have much experience with other limiters.

Perhaps Saturn is considered a weak point?
I don't use FF so it's not my personal critique. I'm saying that of tools in that price range, I've heard the most displeasure from actual users from FF than any other high-end brand I can think of. It's weird because their plugins are thereabouts the standards for the modern GUI, and they are packed with features. So the complaints are usually around the sound.

I don't put much on reverb criticism because that's more subjective and I've heard all sorts of opinions for every reverb out there. But with FF most of the reasonable concerns I've heard are about dynamics. The problem is that FF positions itself as the perfect 1-size-fits-all tool for every use. So when you are doing a vocal track and trying to replace a 1176 + LA2A combo, it's fairly easy to end up disappointed with what you are getting out of the compressors available with Pro C2. To a lesser extend it's similar with the limiter, not everyone loves it.

Pro Q3 is the easiest to get behind because everyone appreciates a transparent versatile EQ. Probably the one plugin universally accepted as the best EQ for track work, but not for the sound but because of ease of use and the truckload of features.

IMO Saturn 2 is a good plugin. Lots of algorithm options - if you can't get what you need out of Saturn the problem is not the plugin. But it's meant to be oversampled, these types of saturation algorithms are the worst for aliasing, so you have to try to run this type of plugin in high quality mode (or around ~400khz oversampling, however the plugin lets you get there).

well, top of the line costs top of the line! :D

Soundtoys are as pertinent now as they ever were, so don't discount them just because they've been around a while. Same for a lot of Waves plugins, they are old but can you discount something like the L2 ? No, its still a great limiter.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

SneakyBeats wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/
lol
non-retina, non-resizing, buggy sampled pieces of shit that need babysitting 24/7.
interesting, unique, but far far from best...

bmanic wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:43 pm Tone Projects Unisum. Best compressor money can buy.
Beaten to it... :tu:

I was not not not going for any more compressors...

BUT..

this came along :borg:

jochicago wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:40 am I don't use FF so it's not my personal critique. I'm saying that of tools in that price range, I've heard the most displeasure from actual users from FF than any other high-end brand I can think of. It's weird because their plugins are thereabouts the standards for the modern GUI, and they are packed with features. So the complaints are usually around the sound.

I don't put much on reverb criticism because that's more subjective and I've heard all sorts of opinions for every reverb out there. But with FF most of the reasonable concerns I've heard are about dynamics. The problem is that FF positions itself as the perfect 1-size-fits-all tool for every use. So when you are doing a vocal track and trying to replace a 1176 + LA2A combo, it's fairly easy to end up disappointed with what you are getting out of the compressors available with Pro C2. To a lesser extend it's similar with the limiter, not everyone loves it.

Pro Q3 is the easiest to get behind because everyone appreciates a transparent versatile EQ. Probably the one plugin universally accepted as the best EQ for track work, but not for the sound but because of ease of use and the truckload of features.

IMO Saturn 2 is a good plugin. Lots of algorithm options - if you can't get what you need out of Saturn the problem is not the plugin. But it's meant to be oversampled, these types of saturation algorithms are the worst for aliasing, so you have to try to run this type of plugin in high quality mode (or around ~400khz oversampling, however the plugin lets you get there).
i'm a FF users.
I have no complaints about sound. It is what it is and it's great at what it is. Pro-C2 is not marketed as a 1176 LA2A compressor, it's marketed as a clean versatile and easy to use compressor, and it delivers on all fronts.
Compressors, like reverbs, are subjective. There's nothing objectively wrong with Pro-C2.
It finds its way into my mixes often.
Limiter is the same. It's about taste, and its also about program material. sometimes i'll prefer Elephant, sometimes I'll prefer Pro-L2.

Also... +1 for Unisum.
Unisum is nothing short of amazing

Fuse Audio plugins just rock for tone and grittyness etc.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Ploki wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:26 pm
SneakyBeats wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/
lol
non-retina, non-resizing, buggy sampled pieces of shit that need babysitting 24/7.
Plus enormous cpu hogs. But still does the job better than many alternatives :shrug:

SneakyBeats wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:20 am
lol
Plus enormous cpu hogs. But still does the job better than many alternatives :shrug:
Debatable.
To me it sounds muffled and smeared :?

Ploki wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:36 am
SneakyBeats wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:20 am
lol
Debatable.
True.

PA were mentioned already, but let me point to their Elysia and SPL product lines.
I got some of these, and never regret. They help to get your mixes into the ballpark.
Now in 2020 it is a bit redundant to tell, but for those who started their careers on analog gear, these emulations are building a bridge.
Include the bx SSL channel strips, and the Lindell stuff. 4000G and Channel X can sound very "pre-digital".

Unlimited budget? Time is money, so program your effects yourself. :tu:
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

If I only had Soundtoys, Waves and Plugin Alliance, I'd be happy.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

-Toneboosters
-Vallhalla
-Dmg audio
-zynaptiq
-soundtoys
-etc...
Wait , wasn't there a similar thread with a slightly different topic title ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Effects”