can someone please do a great a circuit emulation VST of analogue drum machines?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:20 am Rc 808 is now available as a vst3 plugin
Created by the original Roland engineers that did tr 808
It’s an amazing piece of software
https://rc-808.com/
And for those wondering , it’s free
Again just as a heads up from the download page:

"However, please note that this is a conceptual model.
We fully understand that, although we continue developing and updating this conceptual offspring of ours, it is still in its very preliminary phase, and thus is full of bugs....

Therefore, please note that because the RC-808 “Re-Create the 808” is merely a conceptual model to show the originally intended architecture of the TR-808, it is not fully developed as an instrument for actual usage. We do not bear any responsibility for any possible inconvenience or damages caused by this. We cannot answer to any inquiries for this product as well".

I don't know it that applies to the VST version as well but since it was just released..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What they mean is their software is intended as a model, like a pre-prototype. I've designed similar things before I've built electronic circuits using software implementations. The software version is a proof-of-concept and technical demonstration, but that doesn't mean it "works".

The TR-808 was an actual product with all the kinks worked out that could correctly store patterns and operate in a reliable manner. It was NOT a prototype.

Xhip Synthesizer Alpha is a prototype version of Xhip Synthesizer in the same way.

Likewise, Xhip Compressor is a model that was first a pre-prototype, then I designed a electronic circuit prototype, then I modified the software model to match the electronic circuit more closely. Xhip Compressor is not the same as the analog circuit, it's just a model of it with roughly the same behavior.

In a lot of cases if you ran the software and the circuit side-by-side they'd sound the same, but when you get into corner-cases like with very fast attack/decay and lots of drive the circuit performs much better in some ways (no aliasing, higher accuracy) and worse in others (high noise.)

The fact is, it's simply impossible to create software that performs exactly the same as an electronic circuit. No matter what you do there are issues with approximating the results and diminishing returns where the software becomes incredibly more expensive than the original circuit it attempts to model.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

rod_zero wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:19 am I am still waiting for a great drum synth plugin, that delivers both the classic analog emulations of the 808 and 909 as well as novel engines.

Tremor was nice, but I always hate the damn interface of this drum plugins with sequencers. The perfect drum plugin also comes with one part instrument, drummatic has this and it is awesome when you don't want the whole 8 parts,
Drumatic has a single part version? Can't test currently to find out myself. I see nothing about that in the documentation though.

aciddose wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:27 am What they mean is their software is intended as a model, like a pre-prototype.

"....it is still in its very preliminary phase, and thus is full of bugs....it is not fully developed as an instrument for actual usage. We do not bear any responsibility for any possible inconvenience or damages caused by this".

That's why I won't bother to install it....not that big of an 808 fan to bother..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm
rod_zero wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:19 am I am still waiting for a great drum synth plugin, that delivers both the classic analog emulations of the 808 and 909 as well as novel engines.

Tremor was nice, but I always hate the damn interface of this drum plugins with sequencers. The perfect drum plugin also comes with one part instrument, drummatic has this and it is awesome when you don't want the whole 8 parts,
Drumatic has a single part version? Can't test currently to find out myself. I see nothing about that in the documentation though.
Sorry I got plugins confused, it is drumaxx of IL which has single part version
dedication to flying

Drumatic 3 has a single part version to play chromatically across the keyboard .
Microtonic can do that with any of it's 8 parts , and waldorf attack has a 12 part multimbral synth part + 12 part inndividual kit
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Just FYI, D16 Drumazon (909) can be had for very cheap at the moment: https://www.jrrshop.com/d16-drumazon

Drumazon is the only d16 VSTI I would recommend.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Ha, I'm going to install the rc-808. Who does not like the 808?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeZZk2czG1c

electro wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:00 pm Drumazon is the only d16 VSTI I would recommend.
Really?? What's wrong with their other wonderful instruments and FX? :scared:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Drum sounds are so short, is it worth emulating the circuits and everything?

Many of the original sounds were sample-based, so why not use samples now?
And for the synth-based original sounds, a good general-purpose synth plugin should do the trick.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:34 pm Drum sounds are so short, is it worth emulating the circuits and everything?

Many of the original sounds were sample-based, so why not use samples now?
They only partly were samples. As for the synthesized drum sounds, you'd need thousands of samples to cover every possible setting (don't think that's possible, and, it's also kind of pointless).

Apart from the whole fun of being able to operate the emulation like you would operate the real thing. :)

Something like microtonic but with better interface, also single drum part to use inside Drum racks or similar.
dedication to flying

Electro Drums for Voltage Modular is a great emulation of analog drum machine with an easy to use sequencer. Coupled with Digi Drums for the crunchy 80s 8bit samples and sampler player for a complete system. There's some air in their engine/sampler that I really like, reminds me a bit of a vintage E-mu sampler. There's also a Syndrum emulation from the original maker. Softube Heartbeat which can be used in their modular plugin is great, as well as Waldorf Attack and Tokyo in Korg Gadget.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:59 pm
electro wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:00 pm Drumazon is the only d16 VSTI I would recommend.
Really?? What's wrong with their other wonderful instruments and FX? :scared:
The other drum machine emulations fall short. Drumazon gets closer. This is what they are all trying to sound like
https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/revolution/pid179/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”