Looking for a EQ with dynamic spectrum match

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to be able to capture an EQ spectrum from a reference track and then mix my own track into it and have the matching dynamically adjust as I go.

Currently I'm using ProQ3 and what I'm finding is the adjustment made to mirror the reference is fixed. Let's say for example I have a 3db dip in the midrange and I then boost my track, ProQ3 still maintains the 3db boost. When instead I'd like it to reduce as I get closer to the reference.

Essentially when starting a project I'd load a reference in and balance my channels until the EQ is making minimal adjustments.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hmmm... MAutoDynamicEQ should be able to do this. But are you sure that the ProQ3 doesnt?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

This sounds a lot like the ProAudioDSP DSMv3 ?

El°HYM wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:18 pm Hmmm... MAutoDynamicEQ should be able to do this. But are you sure that the ProQ3 doesnt?
Thanks, I'll check MAutoDynamicEQ out.

I'm not 100% sure ProQ3 doesn't do it but I have watched enough videos to be reasonably confident. Very happy to be proven wrong though.

imrae wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:48 pm This sounds a lot like the ProAudioDSP DSMv3 ?
On initial review does seem to tick the correct boxes. Checking it out now :tu:

imrae wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:48 pm This sounds a lot like the ProAudioDSP DSMv3 ?
Exactly my first thought...

He seems to want it in realtime, DSMV3 will take a snapshot of the average spectrum for the entire length of the track you want to match, it doesn't really EQ either, it's more a multiband compressor although you can EQ the spectrum but you're limited to 3 bands

Maybe MSpectralDynamics will get closer ?

MFreeformEqualizer has a capture, too.
TDR EQ' GE
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

TDR Nova with the use of it's SmartOp function (dynamic match) combined with a frequency template as matching curve.

Thanks all.

TDR Nova GE looks like it does what I need. Downloading now :tu:

Digivolt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 pm
He seems to want it in realtime, DSMV3 will take a snapshot of the average spectrum for the entire length of the track you want to match
Eh? Of course the reference/target spectrum isn't changing over time. The realtime part is the adjustment of your spectrum to the target.
it doesn't really EQ either, it's more a multiband compressor although you can EQ the spectrum but you're limited to 3 bands
It uses more bands than that, it's more like a dynamic graphic EQ with a reduced number of user controls. (Graphic EQs have crossovers like a multiband compressor...)

Hopefully Nova GE will work well for OP, it's such a great tool.

I don't seem to be getting along with Nova GE so I'm still looking.

That said, I'll continue to test it but it's not doing what I would expect. As an extreme example I cut all the bass out of my source track and used pink noise as a reference. I would have expected Nova to try and boost the lows like crazy to compensate but there was very little change. I even watched the wizard, Dan Worrall, and am using the same approach as him so :shrug:

The TBProAudio one is also very good.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

imrae wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 am
Digivolt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 pm
He seems to want it in realtime, DSMV3 will take a snapshot of the average spectrum for the entire length of the track you want to match
Eh? Of course the reference/target spectrum isn't changing over time. The realtime part is the adjustment of your spectrum to the target.
it doesn't really EQ either, it's more a multiband compressor although you can EQ the spectrum but you're limited to 3 bands
It uses more bands than that, it's more like a dynamic graphic EQ with a reduced number of user controls. (Graphic EQs have crossovers like a multiband compressor...)
The spectrum doesn't change though, whether you're at start of the track, the middle or the end, the spectrum is the same (I'm talking about the copied spectrum here not the spectrum of the track you're mixing), from what the OP says he wants the spectrum to dynamically change depending on where he is (time based) in the track he's mixing. DSMV3 doesn't work like this it's take an average snapshot of the whole track and doesn't change unless you do a new snapshot also the multiband does use way more than 3 bands, like a lot more BUT you can only manually change the spectrum at 3 points via the selective EQ

You seem to be arguing different points to what I was saying so I just thought I would clarify

https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dseq.html
not sure about the 'spectrum match' part.
Last edited by sqigls on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”