BFD3 missing core library (abandonware)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did you get the .bfdflac version of the audio content? Fxpansiom began using FLAC to compress the content to save file space. Maybe the 55gb references the uncompressed size?

A couple of points:

If you are concerned about the integrity of (and basically, having identical) files, it's recommended to compare actual checksums, not reported file sizes. The reported sizes, especially ones printed in manuals vs. the specific sizes on your computer ;), and when comparing different systems, can vary based on multiple things, and might not be quite conclusive in indicating whether your files are intact or not.

Also, from a probability viewpoint, it's at least more probable that a company reports a slightly off estimate of the total size in a single figure printed in a product manual... than releasing the product with an installer that somehow completes the install process without errors but randomly installs the data wrong :)

BFD seems to be with inMusic these days https://www.fxpansion.com/news/bfd-joins-inmusic/ so the recent transition out of ROLI might be the reason for some support hickups. But that's just guessing.
Last edited by Guenon on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guenon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 pmAlso, from a probability viewpoint, it's at least more probable that a company reports a slightly off estimate of the total size in a single figure printed in a product manual... than releasing the product with an installer that somehow completes the install process without errors but randomly installs the data wrong :)
Yeah...if there were an issue, I suspect it would be missing content, which would manifest itself in missing kit pieces when loading factory presets.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:42 pm I suspect it would be missing content, which would manifest itself in missing kit pieces when loading factory presets.
Exactly, and it's quite uncommon for a modern installer not to get concerned if the files don't match what it's supposed to be installing :), especially if they are unpacked during install, i.e. the decompression would fail when missing the required data. Of course one can think of scenarios where that is possible, having complete missing packs (standalone archives that are just missing) and an oblivious installer -- but for an installer to be designed that way, ignoring missing packs, and never raise an error, also resulting in an installation that doesn't report actual missing files -- it's just unlikely.

I thoroughly tested this because I want to know. Here's how I know about missing content, I make a kit piece missing by moving it and I go to the standalone to load a kit with that piece. here's the appearance now:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 3.38.31 PM.jpg

So, I have 48.4GB in Audio. It's not 55. Nothing seems to be missing from any given kit. An inference may be drawn.

ROLI is seeming kind of ghostly from where I sit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

clbraddock84 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:43 pm It looks like there are some differences:

Your DW Mardi Gras Sparkle Floor Tom 1 /Hit is 136M mine is 130M
Your DW Mardi Gras Floor Tom 1 is 361M mine is 355M

You also are completely missing some of the groove files, unless you moved them somewhere else.

There shouldn't be different file sizes. That together with the fact the installer says its going to install 53.55GB and the manual says approx 55gb, then you end up with only 48GB should be concerning.
That's kind of weird, yeah, but this kind of abstract worrying I don't really have energy for. :) All their kits load with no error. :shrug: I recognize you're pissed off.

jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 pm ROLI is seeming kind of ghostly from where I sit.
I bought the Giest2 upgrade from version 1 on 7/31 from Audiodeluxe and it refuses to register. Sent a support ticket. Got an email back that I can expect a reply by 8/17. Like are you kidding me Roli? :x I wish my biggest problem was the install was a little smaller than advertised. :lol:

jesus

jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 pm I thoroughly tested this because I want to know. Here's how I know about missing content, I make a kit piece missing by moving it and I go to the standalone to load a kit with that piece. here's the appearance now:

So, I have 48.4GB in Audio. It's not 55. Nothing seems to be missing from any given kit. An inference may be drawn.

Thanks for investigating it. I decided to just let it go. At this point I think the installer or payload must have been changed at some point without documentation. It sounds like installs from the last few months are smaller (almost always 48ish gb) compared to installs from more than a year ago (almost always 54ish gb) At least that’s what it seems like from reading tons of different forum posts/chains. Maybe the compression was changed more recently or something. I think everything is there at this point. Just kind of weird. Anyways, thanks again 👍🙂

jancivil wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 amjesus
Yeah, you'd think support emails under the heading of "activation/registration" would jump to the top of the queue because that means user's are literally locked out of using the software, but nope.

clbraddock84 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:24 am
jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:44 pm I thoroughly tested this because I want to know. Here's how I know about missing content, I make a kit piece missing by moving it and I go to the standalone to load a kit with that piece. here's the appearance now:

Thanks for investigating it. I decided to just let it go. At this point I think the installer or payload must have been changed at some point without documentation. It sounds like installs from the last few months are smaller (almost always 48ish gb) compared to installs from more than a year ago (almost always 54ish gb) At least that’s what it seems like from reading tons of different forum posts/chains. Maybe the compression was changed more recently or something. I think everything is there at this point. Just kind of weird. Anyways, thanks again 👍🙂
Yeah, you're welcome. The whole compression thing, idk. I do have a number of the older extensions so I use the tool, and my impression I have is of a bigger difference ratio generally. But they could have modified something, who knows.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:33 am
jancivil wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 amjesus
Yeah, you'd think support emails under the heading of "activation/registration" would jump to the top of the queue because that means user's are literally locked out of using the software, but nope.
Yeah, a regular ol' support ticket is one thing, but this, damn. But weeks go by and they don't even have their affordable controller to sell, some bad signs here.

So, someone from BFD responded to a thread I started on gearslutz. I guess that’s good, but they claim it should be 58gb lol. It’s like a moving target. I dont think anyone (including BFD) knows how the installer works anymore.

“Hi Clbraddock,

Drew here from the BFD team - we're not FXpansion anymore - BFD has a new home as part of inMusic Brands, and we're training up a new support team to assist all of our users going forward. Cirrus pointed me this way, and I'd be happy to help.

Now I'm on Windows not OSX right now, so these figures will be slightly different for your OS. But the BFD3 *download* of the installer is approximately 48GB. However these files cannot be used directly with the software. Instead they need to be installed using the BFD3 Core Library Installer application installer - .app file extension.

Once you run that, then the size of the content installed in bytes should be around 58,895,368,192. Again, this figure will be slightly different on OSX due to the different ways a byte is counted in each OS.

My educated guess is that you didn't install the content, just copied the Audio subfolder out of the downloaded installer package. This wont work. If however this isn't what you did, then I'd need a little more information. If you email me at drew AT fxpansion DOT com, I can get you up and running.

Cheers!
Drew”

58895368192 Bytes (B) = 54.85 Gigabytes (GB)

So yeah, about 55GB. Not 58.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 am 58895368192 Bytes (B) = 54.85 Gigabytes (GB)

So yeah, about 55GB. Not 58.
Oh good call. Still more than 48gb, but at this point I’m not going to worry about it anymore. Just thought I’d post the BFD reply for others. That sucks about your registration issue though. Maybe see if e-mailing the drew guy who responded is any faster. I don’t know if you can trust the ROLI support. I emailed them 6/25 and got an auto reply that I would get a response by 7/9. Heard nothing in July. Finally got a human response 8/7.

Return to “Instruments”