Looking for a EQ with dynamic spectrum match

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a good point that warrants further clarification. Indeed the spectrum would change throughout the track and it would be far from ideal if the EQ was applying changes throughout these sections. Therefore I would work in sections and apply a different reference to each section.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

sqigls wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:31 am https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dseq.html
not sure about the 'spectrum match' part.
Burillo mentioned this also. A cursory glance at the specs looks promising. WIll give it a shot :tu:

You might be interested to read this as well - https://soundbytesmag.net/spectraldynamicsdynamiceq/

I read it the other weekend trying to figure out if I wanted Mspectral, Soothe or DSEQ (probably going to get DSEQ because it's cheap, does mostly what Mspectral/soothe does and the UI is nice)

Digivolt wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:50 am You might be interested to read this as well - https://soundbytesmag.net/spectraldynamicsdynamiceq/

I read it the other weekend trying to figure out if I wanted Mspectral, Soothe or DSEQ (probably going to get DSEQ because it's cheap, does mostly what Mspectral/soothe does and the UI is nice)
This is a fantastic article :tu:

yes I too think DSEQ is the right choice here

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am This is a good point that warrants further clarification. Indeed the spectrum would change throughout the track and it would be far from ideal if the EQ was applying changes throughout these sections. Therefore I would work in sections and apply a different reference to each section.
Sonible Smart:EQ2 offers the possibility to adjust different section differently. You may have a look.

You may want to try ADPTR AUDIO Metric AB (https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ricab.html).
It displays the frequency spectrums of both the source and the reference tracks simultaneously in real time. It also provides other useful analysis and level metering tools.
But as always with Plugin Alliance, you better wait when they put in on sale, as it may not be worth the regular $199 price.

Hm, do I understand correctly that the auto EQ spectrum is not supposed to change over time (it stays fixed, not dynamic), but it has to adapt when you make changes to the mix?
How is a program supposed to know what has changed in the mix before you give it a new mix? So you have to render again and reanalyse this file.

Then you're looking for a program that analyzes two tracks, creates the spectrogram from both and on this picture you want to adjust the EQ settings. And as you change something, the spectrum of your target track changes?

Check this out https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeformEqualizer, maybe what you are looking for. At Eternal Madness Discount 25€.
https://youtu.be/CrZLpbhipDk

Faiky wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm Check this out https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeformEqualizer, maybe what you are looking for. At Eternal Madness Discount 25€.
https://youtu.be/CrZLpbhipDk
It appears to be the MFreeformAnalogEq currently on sale, I think the MFreeformEqualizer is slightly different.
Difference between MFreeformAnalogEq and MFreeformEq
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

DSEQ appears to be doing the trick, albeit on some random test material.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Faiky wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm
Then you're looking for a program that analyzes two tracks, creates the spectrogram from both and on this picture you want to adjust the EQ settings. And as you change something, the spectrum of your target track changes?
Yes, this. I don't intend to change anything on the EQ itself, instead it's just a reference tool. The changes will be made in the mix itself and then when the two curves are in-line I know I have a clear mix. Yes, I realise there are a million variables and no it won't be my sole reference but it is a good tool to check I'm on the right path.

To be specific I always end up having a hole in the lower mid, this way of working will highlight this by boosting them. And then I will either add something to fill the gap and/or I will EQ it accordingly, then the reference EQ will reduce the change it made.
Faiky wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm Check this out https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeformEqualizer, maybe what you are looking for. At Eternal Madness Discount 25€.
Thanks but I'm not a fan of Melda. No specific reason other than I don't get along with the GUIs. That video didn't help the cause either.

Okay, then I understand the approach. But I don't think it will have a great effect, in fact it will sound rather unnatural if you adjust the spectrum too much. And, that's one of the things you have to do in mastering.
It has always proved to be a good idea to first create the arrangement (preferably directly with a mixing/spatial plan and a reference track for listening with your ears), then mix the subtleties. Collisions and masking will be fixed. There may also be exciters, bias, tape saturation effects, resonance removal, etc. that change the spectrum again. Also the gainstaging can still change. But you know.
If everything fits together, you can adjust the mastering. Then an EQ as you like makes sense. But you really don't want to copy the frequency curve of your reference track unless it's exactly the same song. It's a smooth curve, in most cases in modern music it is straight and falls off at about 10khz.

You can just analyze the whole album and try to get into the spectrum. But also trust your ear. But an analyzer will not show you enough information. Listen to the individual frequency bands and compare the density with your reference stack, how much noise is there, is the dynamic equal? Is the stereo width similar? Are there still too many peaks and resonances? Everything has to be right first, otherwise a perfect spectrum won't help you, but I'm sure I'm only telling you what you already know, sorry.

Actually a normal spectrometer with several inputs and curves should be sufficient. Compare similar parts. The spectrum is moving (this is really your advantage!), but you still have an idea of what needs to be adjusted. I'm writing this because I think that there is no ideal solution with a tool.

Faiky wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 am Okay, then I understand the approach. But I don't think it will have a great effect, in fact it will sound rather unnatural if you adjust the spectrum too much. And, that's one of the things you have to do in mastering.
It has always proved to be a good idea to first create the arrangement (preferably directly with a mixing/spatial plan and a reference track for listening with your ears), then mix the subtleties. Collisions and masking will be fixed. There may also be exciters, bias, tape saturation effects, resonance removal, etc. that change the spectrum again. Also the gainstaging can still change. But you know.
If everything fits together, you can adjust the mastering. Then an EQ as you like makes sense. But you really don't want to copy the frequency curve of your reference track unless it's exactly the same song. It's a smooth curve, in most cases in modern music it is straight and falls off at about 10khz.

You can just analyze the whole album and try to get into the spectrum. But also trust your ear. But an analyzer will not show you enough information. Listen to the individual frequency bands and compare the density with your reference stack, how much noise is there, is the dynamic equal? Is the stereo width similar? Are there still too many peaks and resonances? Everything has to be right first, otherwise a perfect spectrum won't help you, but I'm sure I'm only telling you what you already know, sorry.

Actually a normal spectrometer with several inputs and curves should be sufficient. Compare similar parts. The spectrum is moving (this is really your advantage!), but you still have an idea of what needs to be adjusted. I'm writing this because I think that there is no ideal solution with a tool.
Thanks for this. Don't get me wrong, it's not intended to be a set and forget approach for the reasons you mention. It also won't be on all the time. You mention it will sound unnatural and ugly however thats a positive in my view because the major issues will be highlighted immediately.

Let's say I turn on the reference and notice the low mids are being boosted excessively I'll know then to go back to the arrangement and add something there.

It's true a simple reference curve plotted against the master output would work in a similar way and this is what I'm currently using. However, it's always useful to have another set of virtual ears in the studio to tell me troublesome areas in the mix.

All that said, it could be completely useless as I'm yet to test it in practice.

Late to the party here but I'm fairly certain Equivocate's match eq function does what you're after...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeXPbIRg4Qk

Thanks for this. I may look for another video where the presenter isn't yelling at me though.

Return to “Effects”