Your go-to synth for evolving textures?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 am
Chrisk-K wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 am I was skeptical until I verified the contents :-)
Those patches were sold 30 years ago. I guess they are (almost) in the public domain just like 200,000 DX-7 patches available online.
Okay, good to know that. :) Unfortunately though, it looks like a shipping item. :( I am only interested in downloadable items, especially because I am not in the US.

Do you know if there is any way to get it in a downloadable format?
I downloaded the collection via a link the seller provided. Ask the seller to make sure.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:07 am The Korg Wavestate hardware synth is the modern wavestation which goes well beyond the old wavestation... nothing quite like it in software.
It's pretty sweet…but I wish there was a software version, because it's not well suited to a hardware interface. You spend so much time in the menus on that tiny display that you might as well be using a graphical interface on a big computer monitor. The physical controls are useful for tweaking and sequencing but building new patches from scratch looks really tedious. A software editor would make a world of difference, but so far they've only released a librarian for it.
Stormchild

Chrisk-K wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:41 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 am
Chrisk-K wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 am I was skeptical until I verified the contents :-)
Those patches were sold 30 years ago. I guess they are (almost) in the public domain just like 200,000 DX-7 patches available online.
Okay, good to know that. :) Unfortunately though, it looks like a shipping item. :( I am only interested in downloadable items, especially because I am not in the US.

Do you know if there is any way to get it in a downloadable format?
I downloaded the collection via a link the seller provided. Ask the seller to make sure.
Okay, thanks again. I will ask. :tu:

While I still haven't bought it yet, I have to admit that Aparillo is astonishing in what it does with evolving textures, and how easy it is to quickly manipulate them on-screen, without the need for a hardware controller.

Fundamental from soniclabs - incredible gem, very inspiring

Brother Greg wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 pm While I still haven't bought it yet, I have to admit that Aparillo is astonishing in what it does with evolving textures, and how easy it is to quickly manipulate them on-screen, without the need for a hardware controller.
You are absolutely right :) I need to dive into it because it worth the effort and time spent. The only thing is the other than 100% sizes are blurry :( They really need to get their hands dirty and update the GUI with proper sizes.

There were several times when it was discounted, but even at its normal price, buy it :tu:

Brother Greg wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 pm While I still haven't bought it yet, I have to admit that Aparillo is astonishing in what it does with evolving textures, and how easy it is to quickly manipulate them on-screen, without the need for a hardware controller.
Aparillo has some cool ways to easily adjust the sound in realtime. Unfortunately, I find the sound of it disappointing.

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:24 am For slow evolving textures and soundscapes, granular synthesis with a very slow position/scrubbing speed is the way to go, combined with a rich and deep reverb of your choice. Granular synths like Quanta, Padshop 2, Granite can get you there in no time with the correct audio sources.
How would these correct audio sources sound in your case? :wink:

Always depends on what you are looking for. What I meant is that granular synthesis is highly dependent of the audio sources you are using. But generally with slow position stretching and some fx, you can get really cool evolving and textured sounds.

If I were going to make one from scratch I'd reach for Rapid first. It's easy-to-use and has tons of voices & modulation available. If I were going to modify one, probably Zebra. Rapid is much more powerful, but Zebra is so well-established that there are thousands of great presets available. Plus it's so light on the CPU that you can layer 2 or 3 together if you want.

There are so many synths that can do great evolving textures.

Many of them are not considered texture synths like Repro-5 which can do great textures.
Most U-he synths can work for that application.
Of course Omnisphere is great for this out of the box.
Another over looked is Tal-Sampler due to its capability to manipulate samples.
Rapid also does a good job due to the many features.

For me it’d be any granular synth, Harmor, and any wavetable synth that isn’t Serum.

Acknowledging fully my ignorance of many (most) of the other plugin choices available, my faves would be the two I use - Pigments 2 and Falcon 2.

Mike

SleepIsWrong wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:33 pm Acknowledging fully my ignorance of many (most) of the other plugin choices available, my faves would be the two I use - Pigments 2 and Falcon 2.

Mike
I‘d like to add Zebra 3 as a third.

several of them, layered, with varying freqs of modulation.
send all to one fx chain.

Return to “Instruments”