2020 27" iMac: GPU options for music production

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the market for the updated 2020 27" iMac, and am looking for advice on the GPU options. I intend to use the machine only for music, no gaming or video editing. I do, however, need to connect a second display.

I have my eyes on the i9 10-core processor, which is available for both the mid-tier and high-end configurations. However, the difference between these models is that the mid-tier model has a less powerful GPU (Radeon Pro 5300 with 4 GB) than the high-end model (Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8 GB).

I've read that music software increasingly uses GPU-acceleration, so I wonder if it's worth spending the 200$ extra for the stronger GPU. If on the other hand, the the mid-tier GPU is plenty sufficient for music software acceleration and the advantages of the stronger GPU in this regard are minimal, I would rather not spend the extra cash on something I don't need in my intended use.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the right choice would be here? Thanks!

I would make it based in 'does the software you're going to use take advantage of it'. I opted for this 8GB VRAM ADM chip, but I do create and edit videos on mine. While I did not buy the fastest clock CPU model.

jancivil wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:32 pm I would make it based in 'does the software you're going to use take advantage of it'.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm using Ableton, which I believe does not make use of GPU acceleration. Not sure about all of my plug-ins though...

the other thing is 'future-proof'. I don't think I have anything in DAW land that uses it.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”