Waves Plugins worth $0?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can I sell my entire account as 1, selling the log in... Does that still work?

Gold is version 9.
Including CLA Vocals
HEQ
HReverb
SSLG
Super Tap
True Verb x2 (1 V9 the other V11)
Sibilance
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Does anybody know about the question I raised. Can we sell our entire account to avoid fees?
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Depends what you mean with "can". If you mean whether or not it is technically possible, then the answer is probably yes. If you mean whether or not you are allowed to do so, by means of what is regulated in the license user agreement, then the answer is probably no, because you bypass the official way, which includes transfer fees, which make up for additional support cost for the company.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:57 pm Depends what you mean with "can". If you mean whether or not it is technically possible, then the answer is probably yes. If you mean whether or not you are allowed to do so, by means of what is regulated in the license user agreement, then the answer is probably no, because you bypass the official way, which includes transfer fees, which make up for additional support cost for the company.
Thank you. I had read some old posts on other forums and they specified that waves were OK with it but I was unsure if it was still the case. I'm curious if any one had one this recently. I no longer need my waves account.

mitchiemasha wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:52 pm Thank you. I had read some old posts on other forums and they specified that waves were OK with it but I was unsure if it was still the case.
Could well be, i don't know. I know that Cakewalk used to be OK with that, so, maybe it's the same for Waves.

I've also read that it could be a problem for the seller, if he sells his account with his personal data, but, i don't remember how it was a problem exactly.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:54 pm Could well be, i don't know. I know that Cakewalk used to be OK with that, so, maybe it's the same for Waves.

I've also read that it could be a problem for the seller, if he sells his account with his personal data, but, i don't remember how it was a problem exactly.
Aye that would be an issue, not sure waves have anything that would be problematic but other accounts could be. I've contacted waves for more info but didn't really want to waste their time as i'm not really paying, losing them money. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee but to go through the full upgrade process just to sell things (that will cost me more than i'm selling for) doesn't really work.

mitchiemasha wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:50 pm Does anybody know about the question I raised. Can we sell our entire account to avoid fees?
I’ve seen people do it on and off. I’ve even tried to point them in the right direction. I don’t know whether it was doable or not, though in theory it should be. I can’t say it wouldn’t be without risk either.

Just think, if people got on to the idea where they would buy a whole bunch of plugins on sale, they could the. sell their account trying to make a profit. That would actually be making a mockery of the Waves Sales and they will end up putting a stop to it.... And we’re the ones that will end up paying in the end.

So I’m very dubious about this kind of thing and hope to god it doesn’t get out of control.

simon.a.billington wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:56 am I’ve seen people do it on and off. I’ve even tried to point them in the right direction. I don’t know whether it was doable or not, though in theory it should be. I can’t say it wouldn’t be without risk either.

Just think, if people got on to the idea where they would buy a whole bunch of plugins on sale, they could the. sell their account trying to make a profit. That would actually be making a mockery of the Waves Sales and they will end up putting a stop to it.... And we’re the ones that will end up paying in the end.

So I’m very dubious about this kind of thing and hope to god it doesn’t get out of control.
Thank you. Yes, that would be bad. I'm not looking to profit. I really do just want rid and it'd be a waste. I may come back to waves in the future but would only be buying exact plugins I need, a fresh account. I strongly doubt that though. Apart from 3 synth VST's, I intended to stay light, all in DAW.

I did a bit of research in regards to the never ending waves sales. They are definitely illegal in my country (Australia). This is what it says on the ACCC website.

Two-price comparison advertising

Businesses often make comparisons between product prices being charged and:
-the company's previous pricing (including 'was/now' or 'strike through' pricing or by specifying a particular dollar amount or percentage saving)
-the 'cost' or wholesale price
-the competitor's price
-the recommended retail price (RRP).

Businesses that use such statements must ensure that consumers are not misled about the savings that may be achieved.

Statements such as 'Was $150/Now $100' or '$150 Now $100' are likely to be misleading if products have not been sold at the specified 'before' or 'strike through' prices in a reasonable period immediately before the sale commences.

Such statements are also likely to be misleading if only a limited proportion of a product's sales were at the higher price in the period immediately before the sale commences. The volume or proportion of sales that may result in such statements being misleading will depend on the circumstances of each case.

The length of the period will depend on factors such as:

-the type of product or market involved
-the usual frequency of price changes.

If a business has a policy or practice of discounting goods when not on sale and uses two-price advertising in relation to sale periods, there is a significant risk that the use of two-price advertising will involve conduct that is misleading. The business would be representing to consumers that they will make a particular saving if they purchase the item during the sale period, when this is not necessarily the case.

Coming back to my original post, I feel the license transfer fee being 5% of the list price is unethical because most waves products are never the list price. It would be better practice I believe, if the transfer fee was simply a set price or if they didn't even offer transfers.
I understand they are a company making money, but their practices are underhanded.

Welcome back. To say it clearly: the Conditions have changed. Take Time - especially to explore the Possibilities, watch the Market and expect regular 50% Sales.

I have spent 1000+ Bucks on Plugins in the last twelve Monzhs and I am prod to stgate that Waves didn´t make a single Pitch. They´re outdated in the narrow Sense of the Term.

I literally don't own any Waves plugins, mostly for this reason. Their business practices are just needlessly shitty. You literally cannot pay full list price for anything on their website. You could be like "Hey I appreciate you're having a sale and stuff, but I really like your product and am willing to pay the full list price for it". They would be like "uh sir that isn't possible". Why not? Because the full list price never flipping existed in the first place. It was NEVER listed at that price.

Almost as bad as those sites that you arrive, and a timer starts counting down on a sale they're having, and you think you got there just in time...only to realize the timer starts at the exact same countdown every time you load the page, and when it hits zero nothing happens at all. Dark patterns.

r1_000 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 am I've just returned to producing music after a few years break. I'm building up a new studio and have started buying some waves plugins. I bought a few from their website on sale thinking I was getting a good deal only to find that days later the items "on sale" dropped in price another 50%. I then found out that these plugins were even cheaper on other sites like everyplugin.com. I then came across the fact that they charge 5% of the list price to transfer licenses. Years ago I sold my waves plugins and this wasn't a thing, so it was a surprise when I found this out.
At the moment I have the CLA-2A in the market place going for free if someone wants it. They just have to pay the transfer fee. I can't even give this thing a way. I feel for anyone who bought a waves plugin at even 50% the list price because their plugins seem to not even be worth the transfer fee they're asking for. I'm trying to think of anything else I've bought in my life that was worth $0 straight after I bought it.
I just thought I would start a thread and see how other people feel about Waves. Is it just me or has waves gone down the toilet and left me holding a turd?
It’s not that it’s worth nothing, it’s just that people can often pick it up for $30 themselves. No drama with transferring licenses or worrying about the guy at the other end holding up his part of the bargain. Well that second part is only usually is an issue when there’s cash involved.

I wouldn’t take it personally or anything.

I've recently been in discussions with the waves sales VP. They've offered to refund all the products I bought directly from them, due to the misleading advertising.

They offered me WUP for life.

Return to “Effects”