Reason as a VST plugin, particularly for drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm still getting a feel for what products are out there after a very long break from the scene. I was looking at Reason's Kong drum module, and it has a lot of features. It seems to have the features I was hoping to find in a drum VST plugin, but of course also comes with all the other Reason instruments, so seems to be very good value for money. The physical modelling aspects, plus resonator FX and transient shaping, appear to cover all sonic angles.
So I'm playing with the demo, and am impressed, although for some reason my DAW, Waveform, seems to get laggy with Reason as a VST.
Are there any shortcomings to Reason in VST mode? Do any features become inaccessible when running as a VST? I know it has to connect online whenever opened... which seems odd to me. Though it's rare that anyone is offline these days.

A potential deal-breaker would be lack of modulation options, and I've not figured out how modulation works in Reason. For example, is there a simple way in Kong to set pan position to move randomly on note on events/with each note? Perhaps that's only possible when using Reason as a sequencer, rather than a VST plugin?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

This might give you the answer you're looking for:

https://youtu.be/AVvigwTHpew

The attached image is from the DAW, but you can use the Combinator in the Reason Rack Plugin too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lotuz2019 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reason VST (11.3) has much more limited content in comparison to standalone version (11.2). Maybe it's better to use standalone and just Rewire it.
Reason diff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:41 am Reason VST (11.3) has much more limited content in comparison to standalone version (11.2).
Hmm... do you mean Reason Lite, or does that also apply to the full Reason? (I don't think so)

Afaik only the Reason Lite is available in form of VST plugin, for use in other DAWs.
Some time ago it was a freebie added to any purchase at Pluginboutique.
I don't know if the higher versions have this functionality too.
Last edited by Kumi_27 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Reason 11 versions feature the Reason Rack Plugin, but the content is different.

chagzuki wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:24 am Are there any shortcomings to Reason in VST mode? Do any features become inaccessible when running as a VST?
A potential deal-breaker would be lack of modulation options, and I've not figured out how modulation works in Reason.
All the modulation features should be accessible from the rack plugin - there's a lot of power available there! The main conspicuous missing features from plugin mode are VST support and sample recording. I think the drag-and-drop support is also weaker, but would need to check the specifics. And of course the sequencer is gone, but you have your DAW sequencer for that.
I know it has to connect online whenever opened... which seems odd to me. Though it's rare that anyone is offline these days.
You should be able to do a machine activation that prevents this? For Intro and full Reason I have been able to use machine activation on my main workstation, and only have to log in online to use it on a separate laptop.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 am All Reason 11 versions feature the Reason Rack Plugin, but the content is different.
That's what I thought as well. I.e. the full Reason offers all instruments in the rack plugin.

So I have the Kong module housed within a Combinator, but I can't see a module that can produce a random value triggered by midi input. The Pulsar LFO module can produce a constant tempo-synced random value, but that's not quite what I need.

If you buy Reason Studio, it comes with the Standalone and the Rack plugin. The Rack plugin has all the content/features of the Standalone.

Modulation isn't a problem, I would be more concerned with multiple output routing.

Multiple outs seem fine... what would the concern be?

chagzuki wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:49 pm So I have the Kong module housed within a Combinator, but I can't see a module that can produce a random value triggered by midi input. The Pulsar LFO module can produce a constant tempo-synced random value, but that's not quite what I need.
See if there's an RE that does what you want:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... =price_asc

I've been playing around with Kong some more and it's extremely powerful, and versatile. I've had a very quick play with the wavetable synth too and it seems to have very advanced functionality, comparable with synths which cost close to 200 euros. for the price of a cheap synth one gets a whole suite of instruments and a sample library... seems like a steal. The only drawback is the non-scalable interface, which on certain monitors would be unusable.

chagzuki wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:49 pm So I have the Kong module housed within a Combinator, but I can't see a module that can produce a random value triggered by midi input. The Pulsar LFO module can produce a constant tempo-synced random value, but that's not quite what I need.
I'm not at my Reason rig right now, but is there a "reason" you can't use Pulsar's "Envelope Gate Input" for the MIDI input to do that?

Winstontaneous wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:36 pmI'm not at my Reason rig right now, but is there a "reason" you can't use Pulsar's "Envelope Gate Input" for the MIDI input to do that?
In one of my early sessions I did have that kinda working, but the envelope was responding to all midi data, rather than just the note specific to the hats... if I remember rightly. I think I need a midi filter to isolate that portion of the keyboard... I'm still a newbie with Reason and since then have mostly been playing with the drum and wavetable synths, so I've not investigated further yet.

Return to “Instruments”