What do you think of Rob Papen synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mcc> wrote:though they parted ways many years ago it's difficult for me to think or talk about ROB PAPEN (and albino especially) without thinking of LINPLUG. though not quite the all-around preset-monster that BLUE 2 is if i had to choose one synth to take with me to a desert-island it would be SPECTRAL.
it's simple: i fall in love everytime i open it...with it's gorgeous interface, the depth of it's sound, it's willingness to go new and old places without too much effort. i love it's arpeggiator and the feel of it's knobs, it's sleekness while being very rugged at the same time...the browser is easily understood and reliable and it's quite good on the cpu. i never not have a good time with it....could it be those FX? whatever it's short-comings please don't tell me or go ahead but let me say i'm all-heart and no-brain about this one....that's how great i think she is. (or he...or it or whatever : G)

Spectral is one of those synths that I fell completely in love with at first, and then almost never used it. I still think it's a terrific synth.
Ha ha suck it!

Don't forget
Predator 2 is planed for end of 2015 or begin 2016 ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:Don't forget
Really ? I didn't see that. Any idea what's going to be new ? :hyper:

EDIT: Hmmmm all I can find is a post from you announcing Predator 2 back in February. I don't even see anything on RP's Facebook page or KVR Forum and Google/Bing find nothing.......... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

MillerSam wrote:Don't forget
Looking forward to that :tu:
Ha ha suck it!

I use Rob Papen RG-Muted CM often..and I've been playing Guitar since i was 16. havent tried the full version but in a Mix context i'm sure it sounds great
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

What do you think about RP will release Vecto as vst?

If I remember correctly, they said that REs are and stay REs.

Though I don't care even if they did. I'll never buy any RP product ever again.

Good Question. It should be asked again.

Personally - I´m just surprised at the Moment.

Trialed just Vecto until now. Sounds Oldschool and Soooft! like no other VST I have heard. Signature Sound. No all-in-one-Synth - but full of Inspiration and practical Value. Quick! Results. A Sound Designers Baby.

But the Prices. The GUIs. He doesn´t seem to care much for his Products after Release, too. Would immediately get Blade just because it´s additive ... but ~70 EUR seems quiet uncompetetive and I don´t want to buy "finishedfromtheBeginning" anymore.. :?

What do you think? Experiences?

They're decent, but, there are better IMO.

I quite liked BIT when I tried it. Sort of has some vintage kind of sound. Again though, didn't really find the need to purchase it, with so many plugins which sound equally good or better.

I like their pricing scheme though.

They are good... But there are others that are better.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Blue II has one of the coolest combinations of synthesis methods I've seen in any softsynth, it's as though it'd been made specifically for me. It's like a DX7, a Korg Wavestation plus waveshaping and phase distortion all rolled into one, which is pretty great if you ask me, it also has an FM8 style FM matrix. The only real omission is that you can't load your own samples, but I don't care about that all that much. If there is any other softsynth that does all of the above in one self-contained unit, then I'm all ears and would love to get it as well. Great pricing and deals too. Good support. If other developers offer similar softsynths that you like better, then go for it, but Rob Papen synths are pretty original and have their own unique flavor even if their GUIs are kind of on the pedestrian side. I have the SoundDesign-X bundle and I'm getting Predator 2 once I can afford it, I'm saving up for Zebra now.

Likewise, Blade is about to get upgraded to Blade 2 this autumn, so it's not finishedfromtheBeginning as you say. If you buy it now, you will be able to upgrade for free. But honestly, as long as there are no major bugs in his softsynths, I don't really care about him updating his synths every two months or so, I care about stability and reliability more than the constant influx of new features potentially introducing bugs, YMMV obviously. I don't get this obsession with novelty in softsynths, as long as they sound good and do the job, then it's all well and good if you ask me and that's all that counts in my book. My two cents anyway.

I guess it's fair to say his synths shine in more esoteric synthesis areas like additive, FM, phase distortion, waveshaping, vector/wave sequencing. If you're mostly interested in subtractive, then there are probably lots of superior options out there.

crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am Blue II has one of the coolest combinations of synthesis methods I've seen in any softsynth, it's as though it'd been made specifically for me. It's like a DX7, a Korg Wavestation plus waveshaping and phase distortion all rolled into one, which is pretty great if you ask me, it also has an FM8 style FM matrix. The only real omission is that you can't load your own samples, but I don't care about that all that much. If there is any other softsynth that does all of the above in one self-contained unit, then I'm all ears and would love to get it as well. Great pricing and deals too. Good support. If other developers offer similar softsynths that you like better, then go for it, but Rob Papen synths are pretty original and have their own unique flavor even if their GUIs are kind of on the pedestrian side. I have the SoundDesign-X bundle and I'm getting Predator 2 once I can afford it, I'm saving up for Zebra now.

Likewise, Blade is about to get upgraded to Blade 2 this autumn, so it's not finishedfromtheBeginning as you say. If you buy it now, you will be able to upgrade for free. But honestly, as long as there are no major bugs in his softsynths, I don't really care about him updating his synths every two months or so, I care about stability and reliability more than the constant influx of new features potentially introducing bugs, YMMV obviously. I don't get this obsession with novelty in softsynths, as long as they sound good and do the job, then it's all well and good if you ask me and that's all that counts in my book. My two cents anyway.

I guess it's fair to say his synths shine in more esoteric synthesis areas like additive, FM, phase distortion, waveshaping, vector/wave sequencing. If you're mostly interested in subtractive, then there are probably lots of superior options out there.
Thx for your Thoughts - I have to demo Blue next, it gets so much love...

Robmobius wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:28 am They are good... But there are others that are better.
I have enough of those already and I'm currently looking for Variation that makes Life easier - and What is "better" these Days? It'd take Days to configure the MSF for a Sound that Vecto produces instantly.

chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am They're decent, but, there are better IMO.

I quite liked BIT when I tried it. Sort of has some vintage kind of sound. Again though, didn't really find the need to purchase it, with so many plugins which sound equally good or better.

I like their pricing scheme though.
Let's say they sound .. fatter. But if you ask me e.g. Vecto Sounds more musical. Not 10000 Waves/tables but a good Set of just the right ones...

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”