What do you think of Rob Papen synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vortifex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 pm Some of them desperately need resizing options. There's something dated about a lot of his stuff that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the GUI? A lot of them look like freeware from 2006. Blue 2 sounds great though.
They are resizable if you actually use his Synths... some ones "dated" is some one elses "classic" imho... check many peoples longing for Synthwave esque nostalgia and the continual reminisce of Albino synth

Rp Products is most probably the least understood in vst market.. Bit is an anacronym for Back In Time or be inspired today so yes it will sound dated as is inspired by classic vintage synths as well

Still IMHO the best presets.
You can also see that the synthesizers come with ideas and the view of a sound designer (Rob Papen). (Rob is not a programmer, Jon Ayres is developing the plugins).

Otherwise not much has changed even with newer versions like Predator 2.
Good synthesis, GUI sometimes a bit cumbersome and "oldschool". Sound is somehow "soft" and different than most plugins.
Rob Papen synths sometimes seems a bit average, so you don't see much hype about it in the forums. The synths and presets are rather universal, not so much focused on a particular style.
I use Predator very often, but I always find myself using presets because they fit quite well without much tweaking :hihi:

GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 am Thx for your Thoughts - I have to demo Blue next, it gets so much love...
I just really like it because it combines my two favorite synthesis methods which are FM and vector synthesis and I couldn't find any other synth that does all of that at once and frankly speaking, I would love more softsynths along those lines. Big Tick Rhino "kind of" does this SY99 kind of vibe, but not quite. I love it, I have it too. Secondly, Blue II includes phase distortion and waveshaping. Waveshaping and FM go together like cream and strawberries. You can get similar results with a nice analog saturation unit, but not quite, waveshaping has its own sound that compliments FM beautifully. Thirdly, it's got that unusual vox filter that imparts a very subtle vocal quality to the sound, but without sounding nasal like formant filters do, it's much more balanced than that. It's great for some additive stuff and FM, it's like a cherry on top. It's also available in Blade and some patches demonstrate its sound beautifully, there is a patch in Blade called "Way to Heaven Roy" that showcases that beautifully.

If you're after supersaws and leads and this massive, modern thump people expect from every new plugin coming out, then Blue II and other Rob's synths are probably inferior to a lot of modern alternatives. I think Rob's plugins are more about exploring weird sound alleys and gritty, plainly odd soundscapes and they do so in a fairly CPU efficient fashion. These days, I mostly select plugins on the basis of their relatively good sound quality, their feature set and CPU efficiency. I do realize there are probably dozens of more modern plugins with insane unison methods, mind-blowing gizmos and whatnot, but they would probably tax the heck out of my CPU and I don't want that. I just like quirky, old-school plugins that are efficient enough to run on my crappy old laptop and flexible enough to do the stuff that I want to do with them. Rob's synths scratch that itch very well and since I tend to create all patches from scratch by myself, I do care about Blue's numerous synthesis options and its specific feature set.
Last edited by crickey13 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also, Jomal's presets are out of this world. I've got to say I absolutely hate most presets in most synths, but his patches are absurdly good. He is an excellent programmer with a deep knowledge and understanding of multiple synthesis methods.

OK Things have changed...
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 2-or-Blade

Good Prices in the End!

That's exactly what I did. A very nice option if you ask me.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:23 pm Also, Jomal's presets are out of this world. I've got to say I absolutely hate most presets in most synths, but his patches are absurdly good. He is an excellent programmer with a deep knowledge and understanding of multiple synthesis methods.
Hate on Sounds happens in the best Familys these Days.... I'll check them out later, hoping for Redemption 😉

crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:40 pm That's exactly what I did. A very nice option if you ask me.
Pretty awesome despite I don't need Punch and better kick Asses with my Feet 😉

It's hard to compare different synths, but I would emphasize the following things of RP synths:
-very stable
-efficient CPU usage
-dozens of hq presets from Rob Papen and others
-not the most modern GUI, but at least it has big GUI option

The two "flagship" synths are: Predator2 and Blue II.
The drum machine Punch also reached version2 and can do almost everything.

Blue 2 is a good synth but could do with a revision. The GUI is a bit dated and it needs to be a bit more feature rich for a flagship product.

Rob has already mentioned briefly Blue III, so it's just a matter of time, probably within one or two years' time.

buzz1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:02 pm Blue 2 is a good synth but could do with a revision. The GUI is a bit dated and it needs to be a bit more feature rich for a flagship product.
You have obviously not used Blue2 and explored all its possibilities to make such an uninformed statement... Blue2 offers much more than 90% more features than those of others on the market!!!

What is your definition of feature rich? I have Avenger that is extremely feature rich and equally more cumbersome and frustrating to use...

Everyone.. please join Rob Papen on youtube for livestreaming on Thursday nights at 20H00 South African Time I.e. GMT+2hrs where you ca ask him directly your questions and get direct answers.. Personal I have Explorer 6 and it covers a very very broad spectrum and sounds great in doing so!

Yeah, Rob's livestreams are very comfy and he will answer whatever questions you might have regarding his plugins.

GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:27 pm OK Things have changed...
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 2-or-Blade

Good Prices in the End!
Bit of an odd bundle to include the plugins needed to qualify for the upgrade.

In other words I own Blue II which qualifies me for the bundle which includes....Blue II.

But $50 for Punch and Blade is well worth the price. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”