What do you think of Rob Papen synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Explorer 5 and hanging on for v7 before upgrading unless there’s an absolute ‘must have’ release added to v6. Punch 2 looks good, but I have so many, many drum synths already.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:26 pm Rob has already mentioned briefly Blue III, so it's just a matter of time, probably within one or two years' time.
Let's hope he doesn't make a Blue Movie to promote it.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm
crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:26 pm Rob has already mentioned briefly Blue III, so it's just a matter of time, probably within one or two years' time.
I dont think he would.. he is a decent Guy

Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:48 pm
GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:27 pm OK Things have changed...
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 2-or-Blade

Good Prices in the End!
Bit of an odd bundle to include the plugins needed to qualify for the upgrade.

In other words I own Blue II which qualifies me for the bundle which includes....Blue II.

But $50 for Punch and Blade is well worth the price. :tu:
The Calculation is different for me - pay 75 for Blade and afterwards 50 for the Upgrade and get Blue (150) on Top :/

But anyway ... that´s all just Pricing-Fiction. I focus on the Value for me now. I have spent so much on "save big" already. And the Value seems good. HUMAN Intelligence and Systematic. Feeling. And not just Parameters and abstract Waveshapes. RP had deouble Development Effort - and saves at Marketing and GUI Design - what seems quiet trustworthy to me (today ...).

Blades GUI is hard for my spoiled Eyes. A stylistic Cruelty. But I prefer that over empty GUIs and Marketing Expenses that I would have to pay in the End :D

crickey13 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 pm
GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 am Thx for your Thoughts - I have to demo Blue next, it gets so much love...
I just really like it because it combines my two favorite synthesis methods which are FM and vector synthesis and I couldn't find any other synth that does all of that at once and frankly speaking, I would love more softsynths along those lines. Big Tick Rhino "kind of" does this SY99 kind of vibe, but not quite. I love it, I have it too. Secondly, Blue II includes phase distortion and waveshaping. Waveshaping and FM go together like cream and strawberries. You can get similar results with a nice analog saturation unit, but not quite, waveshaping has its own sound that compliments FM beautifully. Thirdly, it's got that unusual vox filter that imparts a very subtle vocal quality to the sound, but without sounding nasal like formant filters do, it's much more balanced than that. It's great for some additive stuff and FM, it's like a cherry on top. It's also available in Blade and some patches demonstrate its sound beautifully, there is a patch in Blade called "Way to Heaven Roy" that showcases that beautifully.

If you're after supersaws and leads and this massive, modern thump people expect from every new plugin coming out, then Blue II and other Rob's synths are probably inferior to a lot of modern alternatives. I think Rob's plugins are more about exploring weird sound alleys and gritty, plainly odd soundscapes and they do so in a fairly CPU efficient fashion. These days, I mostly select plugins on the basis of their relatively good sound quality, their feature set and CPU efficiency. I do realize there are probably dozens of more modern plugins with insane unison methods, mind-blowing gizmos and whatnot, but they would probably tax the heck out of my CPU and I don't want that. I just like quirky, old-school plugins that are efficient enough to run on my crappy old laptop and flexible enough to do the stuff that I want to do with them. Rob's synths scratch that itch very well and since I tend to create all patches from scratch by myself, I do care about Blue's numerous synthesis options and its specific feature set.
You´re welcome :)

To say it first: I love digital, SY-Series and Rhino, too!

What else should you search for today than a soft Sound? Zebra, Harmor, MSF, DUNE, Razor, ... - I have absolutely no Need for more "Presence" and "Punch". That is not my Style anyway. I prefer Sine/Sinoid Waves over anything else. Like Yamaha Stuff. Love the K5000. Additive Synthesis. Sushi Club - Suhidelic. Untypical for a german/european Pair of Ears... But anyway. To say it clearly: soft Pads are my Focus and I see lots of shared Interests.

It´s all about spectral Wealth and Balance at the End of the Day. All the Rest can also be done offboard. And when we talk about Spectrums we have to focus on the Usability - and I have seen quick Results already.

BTW I must admit that I didn´t feel that those beautiful Creations would be "weird" yet. I´d rather call them "aesthetic" and "balanced". I´ve heard lots of a Balance that I miss elsewhere, esp. in hyped Supra-Synths!°

Well, I mean weird, but I mean alluringly weird... :wink:

FM, Additive, so in other words, synthesis methods based on building complex waveforms out of simple ones are really balanced as you've aptly described. I don't know how others feel about it, but to my way of thinking, FM and additive are kind of less likely to turn out messy for me, that's why I like them very much. They're very precise, surgical, clean.

I’m selling the latest Explorer bundle.
Just putting out there ;)

GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:41 pm But anyway ... that´s all just Pricing-Fiction. I focus on the Value for me now. I have spent so much on "save big" already. And the Value seems good. HUMAN Intelligence and Systematic. Feeling. And not just Parameters and abstract Waveshapes. RP had deouble Development Effort - and saves at Marketing and GUI Design - what seems quiet trustworthy to me (today ...).
I have no idea what you're trying to say. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Rob Papen doesn't make synth....

Jon Ayres does. But he seems to be comfortable with them being called Rob Papen synths. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No relation to Pam Ayres.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm Jon Ayres does. But he seems to be comfortable with them being called Rob Papen synths. :shrug:
good for him, but the fact is, RP doesn't make synths

Aloysius wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 pm No relation to Pam Ayres.
nah, she's famous

AnX wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:41 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm Jon Ayres does. But he seems to be comfortable with them being called Rob Papen synths. :shrug:
good for him, but the fact is, RP doesn't make synths
That's great but the synth line is called Rob Papen so I don't see what your point is.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Aloysius wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm
that would be the guys from Fruity Loops :wink:

Return to “Instruments”