Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Captain wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 amI assume you mean the Lexicon 224(XL)? :) The path from a single modulated delay line to a fully-fledged reverb is a long one, but yes, I have been toying with ideas for a dedicated reverb module, let's see if something comes out of it.
Yes, preferably the original 224 which is more of my type. Kinda have a taste of the XL using Sonsig. Besides UAD and RC 24, there's no other 224 vst which I believe going to be a great addition to the VM enviroment, as a synth and audio processor. Especially combined with mod delay to achieve something like a Super Lunar Lander with way more flexibility. Dunno why, I don't gel with RC 24 and prefer the sound of Megaverb by miles which is not a full 224 emulation, just inspired by the 224 and Alesis reverb.

Based on your reverb demo in the video, seems to me that you are into such kind of Lexicon reverb? Which imho is not too far actually. To have something like OTO Bam in the VM environment is going to be awesome.
Captain wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 amI currently have several new modules under construction, I just have this bad habit of spending a lot of time on details that probably wouldn't matter that much in the final product... but I want to get them just right before I move on. :lol:
Hints..hints :) just take your time, it's better to have it later with perfection instead of a half baked premature release.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

voltage modular suddenly instantly crashes ableton live 10 when rightclicking on modules tagged as DEMO, such as opened when loading polymode presets.
very weird. and really annoying...

Ableton Live is by far the crashiest DAW I own with Reaper the most stable although Bitwig’s plugin crash protection is very good too. Try whichever plugin type you haven’t e.g. if you’ve tried AU or VST3 then give plain VST a chance.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

crystalmsc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:15 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 amI don't think these modules that are emulating classic synths sound especially convincing
I didn't see them as a precise emulation as well, more of inspired by those synths with a great hardware sounding vibe. Glad to own another variant of the 303, the Cloud version sounds more authentic while the VM version sounds a bit more open. The same with the VM Juno which is sounding glorious. As a Korg MS-20m owner, the plugin sounds more authentic but the VM version sounds more hardware like. Never gel with the Arturia 2600 V, way prefer the VM version, equally with Korg Arp plugin and Korgasmatron II. I own TG77/33 and DX7 mk1, but FM Station reminds me the most of TX81z. eFeMeriser sounds more DX7 to me, while Zeroscillator..well, better than hardware....
Interesting to hear these opinions. I have the Korg MS-20 but don' think it's very accurate. Filters are good but it's missing so much body to the general sound (oscillators I guess?). As with many synths I find that even when raw oscillators sound similar, there is something that happens when mixing oscillators that shows differences. For example when mixing in the sub, the VM Juno doesn't sound quite right to me. Also, I'm not sure if the MS-20 oscillators sound all the hardware like to me even though I think the filters sound great. I don't know, might give it a shot anyways.

Of course, it's not the same as hardware. What I mean is that the overall vibe is closer, but still in the plugin level of authenticity. Would be great if they upgrade it to the modern standard, such as their Odyssey. Dunno I feel some kind of a hardware feeling when playing with VM, especially the FM part. No plugin can replace my MS-20m so far. Just nice to have some variation of it as a plugin and modules in modular software.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:13 pm Ableton Live is by far the crashiest DAW I own with Reaper the most stable although Bitwig’s plugin crash protection is very good too. Try whichever plugin type you haven’t e.g. if you’ve tried AU or VST3 then give plain VST a chance.
very stable so far in my case. but i guess its a vst3 problem generally. u-hes vst3 tyrell crashes ableton 10 too

anttimaatteri wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:13 pm Ableton Live is by far the crashiest DAW I own with Reaper the most stable although Bitwig’s plugin crash protection is very good too. Try whichever plugin type you haven’t e.g. if you’ve tried AU or VST3 then give plain VST a chance.
very stable so far in my case. but i guess its a vst3 problem generally. u-hes vst3 tyrell crashes ableton 10 too
ableton was the most crashiest DAW i have, was. it is now very stable, strange experience.
and with VM, no problems at all. pretty great in a way, also buffer wise...

EDIT: i use almost always vst3, if a plugin has vst3, in ableton. no problems. vst3 is implemented, with some hickups. and M4L, made ableton unstable, but seems now very stable.

not sure what its crashing on ableton, but the cherry audio vst3 also crashes on bitwig 2.3.5 on rightclicking greyed out demo modules. so its defintely not a solely ableton 10 prob. but at least bitwig iteself stays stable. you can even reload the plugin. ableton 10 just goes fully ctd.
while u-hes tyrell vst3 is pretty damn stable in bitwig ;D

Yeah, Bitwig has protection levels and the default is that when one plugin crashes it does it in isolation. The only time I'd consider turning that off is if I was running hundreds of plugins concurrently (e.g. for an orchestra) to try to minimise memory usage.

Unfortunately I can't replicate the issue as I seem to have all the modules referenced in the Polymode presets and the only demo modules I've downloaded seem fine with right-clicking. On Win 10 and tried Reaper (latest), Ableton Live 10 Suite (latest), Bitwig (latest).
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Are you safe?

anttimaatteri wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am not sure what its crashing on ableton, but the cherry audio vst3 also crashes on bitwig 2.3.5 on rightclicking greyed out demo modules. so its defintely not a solely ableton 10 prob. but at least bitwig iteself stays stable. you can even reload the plugin. ableton 10 just goes fully ctd.
while u-hes tyrell vst3 is pretty damn stable in bitwig ;D
this can be the case by any daw, even reaper, plugins can crash reaper..
yes ableton (like cubase and reaper) fully crash, bitwig not. i have bitwig studio 3.2.x, no probs here. and also not with ableton, live 10.1.18 suite. windows 10 (2004), intel procs, nvidia cards (2 systems..), with voltage modular, both act perfectly with VM (cubase not... no crashes, but high peaks, erratic, and people who have the same cubase i have, report it does work without high peaks, other have also sometimes dificulties. what is causing it??).

sometimes it is very strange, that on one system, with even about the same specs (some proc, etc.), something does not work and another it works. people buy high end stuff, and never works smoothly. people have an older mac/pc, all works fine, even plugins that recquire a lot.

so many factors, to rule out.

Something that doesn't help with ruling stuff out is that now plugins and DAWs can use GUI acceleration features (I notice sometimes that my NVidia GeForce Experience logo pops up when I start plugins) and you can add that to the heap of things that could be a factor.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 am Something that doesn't help with ruling stuff out is that now plugins and DAWs can use GUI acceleration features (I notice sometimes that my NVidia GeForce Experience logo pops up when I start plugins) and you can add that to the heap of things that could be a factor.
it depends very much on the DAW and plugin (and the combination) if it will be a problem. and of course if the driver is stable. and other factors!

yes! i use the studio drivers, no physx, no hd audio drivers, no geforce experience. drivers only.
strangely my most stable system for bitwig is now my laptop (with gaming drivers, drivers only...).
but that last one can be another problem, i don't have 12 controllers attached to my laptop...

GUI acceleration if implemented with knowledge, most of the time it is openGL (spectralayers pro 7, uses directx, can also use openGL.), works great, but a GUI thread can compete with the audio thread.

and sometimes i think bitwig has problems with openGL plugins, the audioengine gets no priority (i checked all, no buffer problem, no latencymon problems, etc. etc.). and cubase relies also on the GPU, bitwig not... of course in a sense, but no hardware acceleration.

reaper doesn't care. pfff, yes many daw's, when there is a bugfest, i have at least 2 daw's i can work with...

but you are right, but in my experience hardware acceleration (VM uses openGL, you can turn it off, in my case, it does not matter for cubase, without openGL it is even worse..), when implemented by people who know there stuf, works excellent (softube for instance, although, the last months there is a openGL problem, but softube modular, with openGL, taxes the GPU, and stays stable even in cubase, very stable. and the average load is quite high.).

so also how things are programmed are a factor. so, we are in ???? labyrint of openGL, hardware acceleration, interupts, core parking (bad thing), latency of all the routes within a computer (memory to cache of cpu and back to memory and then to soundcard... very simple formulated..).

o well, i think you know the problems. most of the times my desktop is rock solid, last 2 weeks, troubles! with certain plugins... and bitwig..

EDIT: i have the feeling that VM, with certain modules, the GUI thread(s) compete with the audio (main thread?). i am not a dsp developer... prioritizing audio threads over GUI thread(s), while having a smooth visual feedback, ain't that easy, always. unfiltered audio for instance, the openGL functionality, they aren't included anymore. to many problems.
openGL is something different than dsp programming.... and openGL has it's own problems, that with knowledge can be tackled.

As a software developer myself the problem is pretty much this (where Castle=>Application and Swamp=>O/S)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A

Are you safe?

I am looking for a utility with probability. What do you recommend?

I want to take the signal from the gate sequencer and passed through a utility with a probability.

0% probability - no signal.
100% probability - the gate goes in true mode.

I tried Random tack - this does not work the way I want. https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/random-task
I also tried the Random Seed - this does not work the way I want too. https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/random-seed
The Probability Router Bundle - I tried it for a long time, I don't remember if it worked like that.
Probability Generator - no demo, I can not check. https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/p ... -generator
Vult Quincunx - I could not understand how it can work with 100% probability https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/vult-quincunx

I would love a probability generator that works like the physics engine in Usine where objects collide with walls and each other at various speeds to generate notes

http://www.brainmodular.com/manuals/hh3 ... ics-engine

Return to “Instruments”