Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

cherryDan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 pmWe'll be releasing an update to Voltage Modular in a couple weeks with one or two really nice new features. In addition, Cherry Audio is growing, and we've got some big surprises planned for the rest of the year.. starting next week!
Between these and what MRB's mentioned about another 2 + 3 additional to the Lab Bundle, going to be another exciting weeks.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Main item on my wish list for the future right now would be a more flexible mixer, especially one with multiple stereo aux channels for effects sends like this one that MindMeld makes for VCV Rack
Image Image

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am Main item on my wish list for the future right now would be a more flexible mixer, especially one with multiple stereo aux channels for effects sends like this one that MindMeld makes for VCV Rack
I want stereo Mixer and 4 stereo aux also.
So far I have found an option with Voltage-Controlled Matrix Mixer.
6 mono in, 1 stereo out + 4 mono aux. But it is not convenient to adjust Pan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crystalmsc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 am
cherryDan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 pmWe'll be releasing an update to Voltage Modular in a couple weeks with one or two really nice new features. In addition, Cherry Audio is growing, and we've got some big surprises planned for the rest of the year.. starting next week!
Between these and what MRB's mentioned about another 2 + 3 additional to the Lab Bundle, going to be another exciting weeks.
Yes, its great to see CA getting a lot more attention.

I admit I was late to the party being so in to VCV and not seeing any real point in 'paying' for another alternative, but the recent prices (from free!) and in particular the 'Y2' additions are so good it is now irresistible (the Y2 stuff is good enough to be stand alone VST IMHO).

keep it up CA, you have my backing and no doubt more of my money coming!

PS- the only thing I personally miss in CA is all of the ported MI modules- given they are mainly open source, I am surprised no one has done this yet?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm PS- the only thing I personally miss in CA is all of the ported MI modules- given they are mainly open source, I am surprised no one has done this yet?
Me too, but this was answered on the basis that the original source is written in C++ and VM modules written in Java, plus there may be some issue with anyone trying to make money off them due to their open source nature. Would be a nice little project for someone doing a Comp Sci degree though I reckon.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 pm PS- the only thing I personally miss in CA is all of the ported MI modules- given they are mainly open source, I am surprised no one has done this yet?
plus there may be some issue with anyone trying to make money off them due to their open source nature.
That is OK, they can make them free :D

I did actually pay on VCV but it was part charity I think for the more up-to-date modules, to be honest there are lots of people making 'hardware' clones and charging plenty for them!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Captain wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:00 pmTrue, the reverb demo kind of resembles a huge modulated classic Lexicon. The early reflection part could use some work (well, the demo doesn’t really have any early reflections...), maybe some kind of diffusion thrown in... But it already sounds quite good with sustained sounds, transients can sound a little grainy in the beginning of the tail. Let’s see, might be cool to pack all that + other features inside a single module!
Do you have any specific Lexicon's favorite? It's the orginal 224 for me and really want a vst version of that. The others would be Prime Time and PCM 42. Got those great emulations by Soundtoys and PSP, which could use a bit update using current technology for a more authentic beef and mojo of the real unit. Especially when driven hard on the PSP 42. Would be amazing to have those in VM. Mod Delay has certain syrupy character that I like, maybe you are a fan of those delays as well? I prefer a highly detailed recreation of each unit, instead of having several units cramped into one. Quality presets using those modules would be preferable. But like OTO Bam, it's ok to have several reverbs in one module. Just separated from the delays, etc. But it depends on many aspects, if the concept and implementation are dope..why not? Agree that the reverb in the video is good already and grainy can be a good friend for a vintage reverb. But as mentioned, what I like is your idea and perception of sound, especially for big sounding reverb.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:25 pm
plus there may be some issue with anyone trying to make money off them due to their open source nature.

I did actually pay on VCV but it was part charity I think for the more up-to-date modules, to be honest there are lots of people making 'hardware' clones and charging plenty for them!
Not looked into it in detail, but as the modules were produced under a GPL license then whoever copies them has to do the same including, I believe, publishing the source code. It’s a lot of work to convert over for, probably, free. I’d consider doing it myself if I was more used to working in Java. The original source e.g.
https://github.com/VCVRack/AudibleInstr ... /Tides.cpp
seems to use a lot of pointer, direct memory and buffer manipulation, which I think isn’t something you can replicate easily in Java as it has a lot of protection against that.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Not looked into it in detail, but as the modules were produced under a GPL license then whoever copies them has to do the same including, I believe, publishing the source code. It’s a lot of work to convert over for, probably, free. I’d consider doing it myself if I was more used to working in Java. The original source e.g.
https://github.com/VCVRack/AudibleInstr ... /Tides.cpp
seems to use a lot of pointer, direct memory and buffer manipulation, which I think isn’t something you can replicate easily in Java as it has a lot of protection against that.
and top of it: the voltage module designer.. with it's own "stuff", great term!

i am so out of touch, but if i read to some C or C++ pages, the beginner stuff, it all comes back, very quickly.
always tempted to learn C again, or C++. now also for another reason, but it will not help me...

o well you are a programmer. i have a talent for it, but never really used it, after i was 18, ok once, but in a language that is frawned upon (but let me say, i built the craziest things with it, better than was available at that time..). so an amateur (but had a reputation, in a small scene, long time ago, was nice, but lost, and the result: null).

i will go back to the drawing table, a sine wave with a circle around it, 90 degree, 180, 270, 360 = 0, why? X Y modulations.. but i am just starting, and it is nothing, haha.

You can actually use a converter, but you still have to know how to fix any issues, should be pretty
straight forward to go from cpp to java I would think.

Anyway, let's talk about technique: In eurorack an easy way to create drone's is with an LFO. Since
any oscillators are always on, you can use an lfo or envelope with a really long cycle to modulate the
osc pitch with long rises, falls or swells. I'm talking a really long cycle, like 30 mins and up.

I don't see anything like that in VM. Vult's caudal is the closest thing I've found so far.
Anyway, what do you guys do to make generative drones in VM?

well it’s not a very creative answer, but Benard sells a couple of drone modules, Boolean Drone and Switch Drone. Outside of that there’s a really cool module from Andrew McCauley called Gate Length Processor which you can keep chaining for very long gates plus there is another Benard module Timer which has 4 timers you can set to any number of seconds, minutes, hours before they trigger so you could trigger different sequencers to play and stop for instance to step between different drones.
I think Timer would be really handy for building ultra long drones and Benard has even more modules like Glacial Glides that you could tap into.

Are you safe?

Hmm, I have the McCauley bundle, I'll have a look at that thanks. I didn't know about the drone stuff
either as I don't have any of the Bernard modules, will check it out thx.

Anyway, I was mostly curious as to what everyone was doing for that, using the drone stuff I guess.

-Cheers

tbh I haven’t attempted building drones in VM yet other than running the Benard drone related presets, but think I may try at the weekend. Quite like the idea of running a drone through a few different granular effects with a massive ambient reverb after like Valhalla Shimmer or Supermassive or Eventide Blackhole.

Are you safe?

pekbro wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:26 pm Anyway, let's talk about technique: In eurorack an easy way to create drone's is with an LFO. Since
any oscillators are always on, you can use an lfo or envelope with a really long cycle to modulate the
osc pitch with long rises, falls or swells. I'm talking a really long cycle, like 30 mins and up.

I don't see anything like that in VM. Vult's caudal is the closest thing I've found so far.
Anyway, what do you guys do to make generative drones in VM?
Benard has a few so called sloth LFOs, you set the period in seconds/minutes with a maximum of 166,67 minutes for one cycle.(minimum 0,1 seconds so a pretty big range to choose from).

And as mentioned there are a few Benard modules from Benard apt for drones, for instance check out his Breakpoint oscillator and modulate that with a polyphonic LF Noise for constant movement. Remember to increase polyphony. The module is monophonic but uses polyphonic modulation input to control 16 breakpoints for waveforms in continuous motion.

Return to “Instruments”