Don´t want to suppor thes Window sh... anymore. Change to Linux?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kott wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am
GRUMP wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 am Linux is a Trap. The Usergroup is a Selection of People who have no Trust and potentially something to hide.
give me please your credit card number, exp. date and cv code
What would you do with that anyway? Linux software is free. :P

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 am
GRUMP wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 am Linux is a Trap. The Usergroup is a Selection of People who have no Trust and potentially something to hide.
What would you do with that anyway? Linux software is free. :P
Nothing! Trust me!

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 amNormally I'd assume you were a clueless idiot but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe you're just extremely unlucky.
Yep, agree that both are about equally likely, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt :-)

classic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am Hello all.

I am a musician an love to think free and safe.
I am sure, Windows is the bigges spy software on earth.
I did not tested, but looks VERY interesting...
https://youtu.be/nwkiU6GG-YU

Hah!
I remember watching/reading news bits, circa ~2011 (a lot of news bits I recall) depicting those who avoid Facebook as the same; 'shady types who have something to hide--a possible danger even!' ... I was one of those people then. I avoided FB despite pleads and persuasion of friends, family and even employers to get an account!
I'm still one of those people today :wink:

fese wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 am Anyhoo, I hear an Atari ST is quite good for music production.
:o You shut your rude mouth! I think you meant Amiga?!? :love: :lol:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Linux has four main commercial 'daw' softwares', and quite a few free or lesser known commercial products. If you are happy and secure with a windows or a mac setup, that's your dancefloor, so keep happily dancing. :hyper:

legendCNCD wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm
fese wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 am Anyhoo, I hear an Atari ST is quite good for music production.
:o You shut your rude mouth! I think you meant Amiga?!? :love: :lol:
(actual 2019 recording with Atari starts at 4:05 and MusicMouse playing the workstation at 7:35)
https://youtu.be/1h9SB1Lq9xM
Last edited by glokraw on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another 2019 Atari with Roland SC80, drum bass and keys at 8:15

https://youtu.be/cbkiEXTBTV0

lunardigs wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:40 pm
Hah!
I remember watching/reading news bits, circa ~2011 (a lot of news bits I recall) depicting those who avoid Facebook as the same; 'shady types who have something to hide--a possible danger even!' ... I was one of those people then. I avoided FB despite pleads and persuasion of friends, family and even employers to get an account!
I'm still one of those people today :wink:
Me too. I vanished my FB Account back in 2014 - but because of other Reasons. I mean Life can be so peaceful if you don´t let others make it bad.

BTW I´m happy about everybody who is doing his own Thing and decides respectively.

But let´s say it this way: the Companys here trust MS as well as Linux and there is no Doubt about these Descisions even if it´s about Billions [...] because it´s all about what the Platforms give you. Windows is the mightiest Enabler ever on Earth. We should all respect that. Amen ;-)
Last edited by GRUMP on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I tried the Linux thing a few weeks back, nice OS(es) and cool for browsing and some other things but the selection of software available for windows is just far superior, I would have to leave so many great plugins behind, it would not be worth it just to hamstring myself like that for no good reason.

If I really wanted "privacy" I would just setup a windows machine and then disconnect it from the net after all my software had been authorized etc.

I'll check back with Linux in 5 years?
What?...Too Early? :hihi:

Would you please just stand up from the Sofa, take your Shoes on and get the new Socks in the City you live in instead of shopping in the WWW?

Despite of Paypal Affairs [...] I never really had to give anything here. But that shurely depends on whre you live. Most of us don´t even have a Credit Card. There´s simply no Reason why.

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:54 pm I tried the Linux thing a few weeks back, nice OS(es) and cool for browsing and some other things but the selection of software available for windows is just far superior, I would have to leave so many great plugins behind...
Yes, using Linux is the only thing saving me from GAS :-)

(Actually, you can use most Windows plugins in Linux using bridging software, it's easier than you might think.)

GRUMP wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:14 pm
Would you please just stand up from the Sofa, take your Shoes on and get the new Socks in the City you live in instead of shopping in the WWW?

Despite of Paypal Affairs [...] I never really had to give anything here. But that shurely depends on whre you live. Most of us don´t even have a Credit Card. There´s simply no Reason why.
Who talks about shopping?
Just give your values to someone from the street. Or you have no Trust? Could you share your and fellow's conversation, or you have smth. to hide?

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:54 pm I tried the Linux thing a few weeks back, nice OS(es) and cool for browsing and some other things but the selection of software available for windows is just far superior, I would have to leave so many great plugins behind, it would not be worth it just to hamstring myself like that for no good reason.

If I really wanted "privacy" I would just setup a windows machine and then disconnect it from the net after all my software had been authorized etc.

I'll check back with Linux in 5 years?
What?...Too Early? :hihi:
In the context of Pro Audio software, yes, there's no comparison to the native offerings for Windows. Although, concerning runable software, all told? I think Linux has the Big Two handily beat.
For instance, a Linux user could compile and run virtually anything offered up on Github. Alternately, one could virtualize or emulate some environment--glokraw has posted many successful examples of this with WINE. Then there's Flatpak and Docker type stuff ... Lot's of software options!

A key point though is that Linux doesn't care what you run on it; Apple and Microsoft do. This is a very significant difference, because it's philosophical and it pervades, naturally. On the one hand, MS and Apple are determined to construct and direct your activities and behaviors. Meanwhile, Linux has become an approximate opposite to this.
One philosophy is of control, the other, liberty ... That's roughly it and that's a very big difference.

Where it'll lead next though is anyone's guess. I for one think the future is very bright for FOSS and Linux. We'll see.
Last edited by lunardigs on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 am, edited 10 times in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”