Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Teksonik wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 am I'm grateful for the 150 % GUI size but am I the only one who finds it so blurry as to be nearly unusable ? (Yes I know it's due to up-scaling the images).
Yes, but the rendering with up-scaling images hits the CPU/GPU too much on my side. Let's release 0.9.5 now and work on this for the next version. Blurry/ugly yes. Unsuable not that much.

The nightly we have right now will be 0.9.5; please report any *new* issues you have with this release. I'm updating the pipelines to have "production" 0.9.5 release this week.

If something is blurry, it's automatically not exactly super-usable either...

I wonder if UI refreshes are done way too often, or there's something weird with invalidation, which might cause the CPU usage increases that you see (esp due to larger assets). Other JUCE-based plugins don't seem to have problems with this, so it's definitely worth some debugging.

asb2m10 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:20 am Unsuable not that much.
I can't look at the 150% GUI for more than a minute or so. It really messes with my eyes. :shrug:
asb2m10 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:20 amThe nightly we have right now will be 0.9.5; please report any *new* issues you have with this release. I'm updating the pipelines to have "production" 0.9.5 release this week.
The issue was new to me since it's the first time I've tried a build with the larger gui.

But I realize development is ongoing. The 100% gui is usable but a clear 150% would be welcome here.

I'll keep an eye on the progress of development. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Looking forward to the portamento implementation plus the inclusion of TX waveforms and the last note priority. Thank you guys for working on it, Dexed rocks. :tu:

Is the bug fixed I mentioned on ( top ) page 119 off this thread ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

AFAIK no. Maybe open up an issue at github about it.

I did , 2 years ago
One of the developers is active in this thread , so .now he knows
Eyeball exchanging

Hmmm can't find that issue really. The only one alg related is this one.

The issue with algs 4-6 still exists, both for Modern and OPL modes, just checked.

EDIT: It's actually a "todo" in code: https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/blob/m ... re.cc#L113

So one function covers most algorithms. The only reason why MkI engine works is that it has separate functions to calculate the 2 ops and 3 ops in feedback cases.

macOS 11 Big Sur (M1) ?

/* static noise */
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

SO I did some testing , the only real yamaha fm synth I have is a tg 77 and there the output of the carriers is scaled according to the algoritm
Example , algoritm 45 ( where all carriers are parallel ) , when enabling just one carrier and applying self feedback, this turns it into a saw
In other algoritms (with less carriers ) the self feedback has a much stronger effect and the saw will eventually collapse into noise
I posted this on the yamaha musicians forum , and a dx7 user confirmed that algo 32 ( all parallel operators ) on the dx 7 with self feedback on operator 6 at highest feedback setting will remain a saw and will not collapse into noise because of the operator scaling ( due to choosen algortim and number of carriers )
This is NOT the case in dexed , all carrier output are the same no matter the chosen algoritm , and self feedback will always collapse into to noise .
This might be a reason why certain pathces don't translate too well

https://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/v ... 84e551856e
Eyeball exchanging

I am sorry to ask this as I am sure it may have been answered in the 124 pages of responses! :)

I am duel booting Windows 10 and Linux Mint (most up to date version). I am new to the whole VST and music scene.

I have installed LMMS 1.2.2 on Linux Mint using the AppImage supplied by lmms.io .

I have successfully compiled, executed, and played noise with my USB connected AKAI MPKmini 25 key keyboard on LMMS 1.2.2 on Linux Mint.

I would like to be able to use Dexed as a plug-in (VST) to LMMS in either Windows or Linux Mint.

I cannot find a VST in the build folders or anywhere. What did I do wrong or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you in advance.

-BC

battlecate wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:14 pm I am sorry to ask this as I am sure it may have been answered in the 124 pages of responses! :)

I am duel booting Windows 10 and Linux Mint (most up to date version). I am new to the whole VST and music scene.

I have installed LMMS 1.2.2 on Linux Mint using the AppImage supplied by lmms.io .

I have successfully compiled, executed, and played noise with my USB connected AKAI MPKmini 25 key keyboard on LMMS 1.2.2 on Linux Mint.

I would like to be able to use Dexed as a plug-in (VST) to LMMS in either Windows or Linux Mint.

I cannot find a VST in the build folders or anywhere. What did I do wrong or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you in advance.

-BC
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/releases

Hello ablertodream:

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Okay so I thought I would try this in Windows 10 first and get it to work with that version of LMMS 1.2.2. I went to the URL you provided. It has a download for a prebuilt version for Windows! Great. I downloaded it. I walked through the install of Dexed on Windows 10. It says that it is installing the 64-bit VST3 Plugin (.dll).

Code: Select all

Setup type:
      Full installation

Selected components:
      Standalone application (.exe)
      64-bit VST3 Plugin (.dll)
I went into Windows Explorer and looked for the said VST dll file. I looked in C:\Program Files\Dexed and it was not there. I looked in a few other folders where other install-able Windows VST files have cropped up and nothing there.

Do you know where it installs the VST file when it is doing the install for Windows 10?

I figure once I get this working I can flip over to Linux Mint and get that one working. One thing at a time.

Thank you,
BC

Okay, I was reading the installation log I found in C:\Program Files\Dexed. It has a line that the VST was installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Dexed.vst3

I found the VST3 file in there! Yeah. Now to give it a try with LMMS 1.2.2 and MPC Beats.

I will report how it goes in Windows before starting to try Linux.

Thank you for your help.
--BC

Return to “Instruments”