Don´t want to suppor thes Window sh... anymore. Change to Linux?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
glokraw
KVRAF
7661 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm

lotus2035 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am
I would have to leave so many great plugins behind, it would not be worth it just to hamstring myself like that for no good reason.
Tell me your top ten plugins are (give or take) and I'll try and confirm those that should run in linux Reaper/Bitwig with wine-staging, and LinVst plugin wrapper, and mention alternatives should they exist.
Cheers

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10345 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 pm

You really don't see how limiting it is, do you? Your choices in Linux are so restricted and the constant need to use wrappers or WINE just to make things work seems ridiculous when there are alternatives with none of those hoops to jump through. If there were any actual advantages to compensate for all of that hoop jumping, I could understand it but there isn't really anything like that. In fact, it's quite the opposite, Linux has the same problems everywhere that it has with audio.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Equator, Arcsyn, Pigments, Phase Plant, Union, Substance, TRK-01 | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

lotus2035
KVRAF
4306 posts since 5 May, 2005 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:07 am

glokraw wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm
lotus2035 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am
I would have to leave so many great plugins behind, it would not be worth it just to hamstring myself like that for no good reason.
Tell me your top ten plugins are (give or take) and I'll try and confirm those that should run in linux Reaper/Bitwig with wine-staging, and LinVst plugin wrapper, and mention alternatives should they exist.
Cheers
I have no interest in making a list sorry, I wont be trying Linux again anytime soon.
I will say that I am on FL Studio now and was a Cubase user for years.
I don't see the point in putting in the extra steps (WINE, vst wrappers etc and maybe learning a new DAW) just to get everything running on Linux when I already have a rock solid setup on Windows.
Honestly apart from the privacy issues there aren't any real benefits.
I tried Manjaro, Ubuntu Standard, Ubuntu Studio and AV Linux, all very nice I will admit and if I had no other option I would be happy to make use of one of them, most likely AV Linux.
Still, it's just that the user interface experience on Windows is so much smoother and I want as little steps between what plays in my head and whatever project I am working on as possible.
In that regard Linux is still a few steps behind.

The Noodlist
KVRAF
3025 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 am

You'd think some company would make a media based bare-bone OS, minus the apps and services, optimised for AV, an opportunity missed. Even a bootable DAW.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

GRUMP
KVRian
704 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:40 am

Kott wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 pm
GRUMP wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 am
Kott wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:48 am
GRUMP wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 am
Linux is a Trap. The Usergroup is a Selection of People who have no Trust and potentially something to hide.
give me please your credit card number, exp. date and cv code
Would you please just stand up from the Sofa, take your Shoes on and get the new Socks in the City you live in instead of shopping in the WWW?

Despite of Paypal Affairs [...] I never really had to give anything here. But that shurely depends on whre you live. Most of us don´t even have a Credit Card. There´s simply no Reason why.
Who talks about shopping?
Just give your values to someone from the street. Or you have no Trust? Could you share your and fellow's conversation, or you have smth. to hide?
sry but I don´t really understand what you mean :/

GRUMP
KVRian
704 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:50 am

lunardigs wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 am
GRUMP wrote:
Linux is a Trap. The Usergroup is a Selection of People who have no Trust and potentially something to hide.
Hah!
I remember watching/reading news bits, circa ~2011 (a lot of news bits I recall) depicting those who avoid Facebook as the same; 'shady types who have something to hide--a possible danger even!' ... I was one of those people then. I avoided FB despite pleads and persuasion of friends, family and even employers to get an account!
I'm still one of those people today :wink:
And I´m one of those People who doesn´t even look Television. Except Octonauts or Paw Patrol maybe when my Daughties do... but that is no comparison to MS Win and reflects Preferences and no Attitude. Fuckbuck wastes Time and nothing else. MS Win instead can get damn serious if you know what you´re doing - and that is also the Reason why a certain Amount of "Control" is absolutely justified.

Another Aspect: Descisions should be based on Facts, Advantages and Disadvantages - and not on Fears and Misstrust. Or :?

mladi
KVRian
1200 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm

classic wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:29 am
I am a musician an love to think free and safe.
I am sure, Windows is the bigges spy software on earth.
They already noticed you posting those things here. Look behind you, be careful just sayin' :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 10.5•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

lunardigs
KVRian
673 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:22 pm

GRUMP wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:50 am
lunardigs wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 am
GRUMP wrote:
Hah!
I remember watching/reading news bits, circa ~2011 (a lot of news bits I recall) depicting those who avoid Facebook as the same; 'shady types who have something to hide--a possible danger even!' ... I was one of those people then. I avoided FB despite pleads and persuasion of friends, family and even employers to get an account!
I'm still one of those people today :wink:
And I´m one of those People who doesn´t even look Television. Except Octonauts or Paw Patrol maybe when my Daughties do... but that is no comparison to MS Win and reflects Preferences and no Attitude. Fuckbuck wastes Time and nothing else. MS Win instead can get damn serious if you know what you´re doing - and that is also the Reason why a certain Amount of "Control" is absolutely justified.

Another Aspect: Descisions should be based on Facts, Advantages and Disadvantages - and not on Fears and Misstrust. Or :?
See, I wouldn't leap to say that all those who use and or value Linux are paranoid kooks, who are fearful of Big Brother--and I'm not necessarily saying that you are. Nor would I leap to say that those who use Win/Mac are lemmings or dupes.

To be clear, my personal protest of MS & Apple is part philosophical and part practical. To the practical extent, I'm simply done being jerked around by them. I think they've become very abusive--much like Facebook has ... That's really it!

Nevertheless, I'm grateful for all the positive things these companies have contributed to the world.
GRUMP said earlier "... Windows is the mightiest Enabler ever on Earth. We should all respect that." I'd agree, to the extent that they've set some really good trends and developments. Of course, not all of these developments have been good ...

To the idea of 'justified control,' sure, that's the norm. 'Control' is the prevailing tendency; people don't need any help with this.
It's the opposite I'd like to see exalted. I'd rather patron the bazaar than the cathedral, as the old FOSS analogy goes.

The main thing I'm here to point out though is how powerful, practical and enabling Linux is. As a power user, it's been a true delight.
On the other hand, Windows and Mac don't need anymore celebration; we've been concertedly shown their vision of the world for years now. I'm not a fan and I don't have to be, because I've found an excellent alternative.

glokraw
KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:43 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 pm
You really don't see how limiting it is, do you?
My hardware is fully supported, I can use Komplete, U-he, IK, discoDSP, KV331, UJAM, and hundeds more if I had time. I am limited only in playing skill, imagination, and man-hours.

The LinVst wrapper gui has 3 buttons, 1 click each for the wrapping of a folder of vsts, which is instantaneous, and requires no further action.

Wine is also very simple, a gui panel opens when first run to choose drive paths, soundcard etc. It's just a toad after that.

VG-Carbon-Replika.png

Your reason not to use linux as a primary OS might firstly be your use of Cubase, and possibly followed by an audio interface that was not supported or fully supported, and maybe some crucial plugins you rely on that have ilok or reg managers not yet working in wine. Which are few, these days. And importantly, interaction with your band and recording professionals. And maybe a dozen other valid reasons as well.

But there are people who like Reaper, Bitwig, Mixbus, Renoise, or free Ardour and Qtractor for their daws, and love the myriad linux configurations available to choose from or create. They have a different range of choices, Some are not in bands, but still create and record. The decision to produce music involves the same basic rocket science on all fronts, the learning curves not insurmountable, and the choices are astounding, whether mac, pi, hardware, win or lin, all are good for those so inclined.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Exactly! I chose everything else first, then I chose my OS. I never allowed my OS limit any of my choices. Of course, in my case it's not my music software that I worried about, it's the applications I use to earn a living, which need to be industry-standard tools, mostly from Adobe. Audio considerations really don't come into any of those decisions for me. And I no longer consider myself a Cubase user, I've officially de-camped to Studio One now (and it only took a week or so to come to that decision).

I have to say, though, that those wrapper windows would drive me nuts. I'd have to find a very minimalist window manager to make them bearable.

How big a CPU hit do you take using WINE? That would be my biggest concern, as I imagine it will be with Windows for ARM. I know with things like Fusion (3D compositing application for visual effects), that it was basically unusable with WINE, even the officially supported pseudo-Linux version. To be fair, though, I am talking 10 years ago.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Equator, Arcsyn, Pigments, Phase Plant, Union, Substance, TRK-01 | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

glokraw
KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm

BONES wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:56 pm
I have to say, though, that those wrapper windows would drive me nuts. I'd have to find a very minimalist window manager to make them bearable.

How big a CPU hit do you take using WINE? That would be my biggest concern,
I might have worded things oddly, there are no remnant wrapper windows after a folder of .dlls are wrapped in one go. The linux daw sees the Amplitube.so and ignores Amplitube.dll
Windows Reaper via wine uses the Amplitube.dll, and ignores the .so version. Also, the .so is small, Firebird.dll is 34 meg, Firebird.so is 103k

The cpu hit isn't bad, as wine just manages basic functions to get something on screen and communicating. Plugins and daws are unequal in how they deal with multi-threading, I've been using the Fathom modular synth for quite a while, it was very cpu intensive, but over the last several releases, the improvements reported by windows users are also there in Ubuntu Studio. (i7 2600 @ 3.4 ghz, 8gig ram) I just loaded Reaktor6 with Razor and a pad, and on track2, Kontakt with India lib Tanbura. Idles at 4.5%, playing 6 note scale fast repeatedly til the meter peaked, never exceded 45%. I'll see if Studio 1 has a demo, been a very long time since I tried it.
Cheers

Razor-Tanbura.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dellboy
KVRian
1306 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 pm

I recently tried out all sorts of Linix distros - Zorin was windows like and slick.

The problem I had with Linux though is that for most things you still need a search engine like google, and its that which does most of the tracking.

I have also just bought a Mac Mini and guess what, I stil need a search engine.

The additional privacy invaders in Windows and Mac are the increasing need to get you to sign in to everything. Even Firefox browser is doing that now. At least Linux leaves you alone for the most part from signing into stuff if you do not want to.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 pm

glokraw wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm
I might have worded things oddly, there are no remnant wrapper windows after a folder of .dlls are wrapped in one go. The linux daw sees the Amplitube.so and ignores Amplitube.dll
So what are those ugly windows all the plugins are in in those screenshots? Is that what Reaper does? Hideous!

imrae
KVRian
1316 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 am

Ironically the ugly grey windows in REAPER are due to its use of standard Windows libraries.

dune_rave
KVRAF
1821 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:42 am

ok, then use linux as the 'host' OS and create a virtual machine with windows inside with your musicmaking stuff. this could be a solution... of course tgere can be some softwares that will not run in a vm...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”