What do you think of Rob Papen synths?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
GRUMP
KVRian
742 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:11 am

I have read many positive Comments in Blue 2 already.

What makes this Synth so good - special - unique? What do you like about it and what do you use it for? Recommendations?

It reminds me strongly of FM8, extended by Sample-Waves. Awesome Modulation Possibilities. But I've just spent an hour yet...

And how about CPU? It seems to be quiet "demanding"?
Last edited by GRUMP on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

dune_rave
KVRAF
1826 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:29 am

if blue would allow user sample loading that would be awsome.

GRUMP
KVRian

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:45 am

dune_rave wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:29 am
It would be a real Workstation Thema. A Platform 🙂

crickey13
KVRist
57 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:15 pm

dune_rave wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:29 am
I will ask Rob on his livestream whether he plans on including that. It would make a lot of sense indeed. Not such a big deal to me, but I can see a lot of people getting excited about it and it's definitely something to include in the third revision. :tu:

Examigan
KVRAF
5360 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:31 pm

GRUMP wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:01 am
Blade:

Chord Mode + Strum + XY Mod = unique. USP.

Very "musical" Approach. Hands on. Quick Results.

Out of Touch for the Competitors concerning Movement. Faster and more intuitive.

Upgrades are free @RP so no Headaches here, too.
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but Blade 2 is in the works.

GRUMP
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:42 am

Examigan wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:31 pm
GRUMP wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:01 am
Blade:

Chord Mode + Strum + XY Mod = unique. USP.

Very "musical" Approach. Hands on. Quick Results.

Out of Touch for the Competitors concerning Movement. Faster and more intuitive.

Upgrades are free @RP so no Headaches here, too.
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but Blade 2 is in the works.
Glad to hear that. Great Approach, very advantageous Synth!

Has anybody ever counted the Patches shipped with Blue 2? Awesome "Preset Slingshot". Great Flavour!! #90s #TimeAndSpace

GRUMP
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:35 pm

kmonkey wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:02 am
I think Predator is very good synth with large amount of options and modulations. The fact that with this synth you are getting FX section to load it as FX processor makes it no brainer purchase IMHO.

Soundwise it is perfect. Just an example of perfectly balanced product. You really get a lot with it.

I never liked Blue though.
I kniow now why he called it "Predator" and not "Pony" or "Bitch" :|

andrewbrewer
KVRist
71 posts since 5 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Immediately usable presets, and tons of them
Detailed NKS support
Clunky/ugly interfaces

risome
KVRAF
2115 posts since 30 Oct, 2006 from Australia, NSW

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm

I designed some of the included presets for lots of Rob's synths and Drum machine.Good collection of synths ,all-round workhorses.IMHO.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

JackScale
KVRer
7 posts since 31 Aug, 2020

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 am

Ive never actually heard of it

ztrauq
KVRist
274 posts since 13 Dec, 2004 from USA

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 pm

I had picked up a few RP instruments and effects, and with that the upgrade price to the most recent Explorer was too good to pass up. I'm still figuring out all of the different things that are included. Not to mention the I think 3 or 4 things that have already been added to the bundle after I purchased it, which is pretty impressive.

I will admit that the interfaces are a little quirky, although the performance/macroable XY pads that a lot of the synths have make for some interesting programming. One thing I hadn't expected was how interesting the effects would be (had focused mostly on looking at the instruments). XY-Transfer is a fascinating multi-effect centering around three of the aforementioned XY sequencers, reverb and delay are quite solid and full-featured, distortion and EQ are pretty good too.

It might not be quite as wide-ranging as something like Komplete, but I think you could do pretty well with just a DAW and Explorer...

mrsugmad
KVRist
232 posts since 30 Nov, 2007

Post Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Papens Explorer bundle and all of Spectrasonics products would be my 'desert island' VSTs. Of course the island would have electricity :tu:

SynthRatings
KVRist
33 posts since 18 Sep, 2018

Post Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:00 am

Rob Papen offers an interesting collection of plugins and you know that you'll always get a huge amount of presets and occasional updates (albeit often just with even more presets), so I don't really get the previous comments about the plugins not being updated. The company clearly cares for its products.
The GUIs are not for everyone, though improving lately if you look at GO2 for example, but the instruments are always interesting and usually slightly off the mainstream. Add to that the excellent bundle products which get cheaper and cheaper the more you buy into the prouct line and you can get some serious fun (is that even a thing?) for your money.

I have reviewed a couple of the newer Papen VSTs on my channel (link in signature) and will probably also do Blade 2 upon release, something I'm looking forward to.
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

Return to “Instruments”