Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want separate bouncing for multi-out instruments.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 am I want separate bouncing for multi-out instruments.
Then just send separate outs to separate tracks?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

- More advanced UI design panel for The Grid
- More oscillator types in The Grid (eg. additive like the oscillators in Ableton's Operator)
- a way to create or import more complex waveforms into FM4 (like Ableton's Operator)
- Groove pool
- a way to have the gridlines in a midi clip change to suit the currently selected groove template would be a game-changer.
- Track Freezing
- Splice style cloud-based collaboration
- Reason style "Automation clips"
- the long-promised Lan collaborative mode!

Not much really, I'm still adjusting and finding more and more things I like.

What would be amazing (and is outside the scope of this)
- integration with modern hardware drum machines... more and more have an "export to ableton" button
Can any developer types out there work out how to convert one of those simplified ableton files (usually just audio and midi) and convert it to a bitwig file? because that would be sick!

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 am
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 am I want separate bouncing for multi-out instruments.
ok thanks, i'm not sure how to do that. I'll try to figure it out later. If i need any help then i'll give you a shout. :tu:

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 pmok thanks, i'm not sure how to do that. I'll try to figure it out later. If i need any help then i'll give you a shout. :tu:
Hope these will be helpful :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... instrument
Music tech enthusiast

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 am
ok thanks, i'm not sure how to do that. I'll try to figure it out later. If i need any help then i'll give you a shout. :tu:
you mean receive separate outs? ;)

I know this one isn't that popular, but I would really like to see movie hosting for film score work.

I've got mostly tiny requests, things like the other day I was Option/Alt slicing long MIDI notes and it would be great if I could select multiple notes and this would slice them all to 16ths.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:59 pm I know this one isn't that popular, but I would really like to see movie hosting for film score work.
Me too.

Is someone thinking of a general improvement of the GUI? Coming from Studio One and Cubase I am so often lost.
How I can edit an automation track quickly. When the event-editor is open and I press F2 another editor opens (track editor?) - the look of the device GUI with instrument and FX: I do not have an overview, when opening a track. Everything looks grey. Is it an instrument or an FX? Is it part of an FX chain or sitting after it?

I love a lot of things. But I am at the same time so often lost... The browser on the right side... It takes too long to remember, how I can find an instrument preset. It seems there are always two different ways for the same action, but the result also is a bit different. I cannot really explain, that would take hours... What do you guys think about that? Are you totally fluent in Bitwig?
Last edited by DeusMortis on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win10 64bit, Bitwig (newest), Studio One (newest), Push 2 and more

https://soundcloud.com/maurice-camplair

DeusMortis wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 pm What do you guys think about that? Are you totally fluent in Bitwig?
I'm quite new with Bitwig, but i haven't really had any problems. Today for the second time Antic604 has had to point me in the direction of something i hadn't realised exists, but i haven't noticed anything about Bitwig that i'd really call a problem, except one tiny niggle which i've already mentioned and that's every bounced master track gets titled "master" which i'd rather has the songtitle or "songtitle (master)".

DeusMortis wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 pm Is someone thinking of a general improvement of the GUI? Coming from Studio One and Cubase I am so often lost.
How I can edit an automation track quickly. When the event-editor is open and I press F2 another editor opens (track editor?) - the look of the device GUI with instrument and FX: I do not have an overview, when opening a track. Everything looks grey. Is it an instrument or an FX? Is it part of an FX chain or sitting after it?

I love a lot of things. But I am at the same time so often lost... The browser on the right side... It takes too long to remember, how I can find an instrument preset. It seems there are always two different ways for the same action, but the result also is a bit different. I cannot really explain, that would take hours... What do you guys think about that? Are you totally fluent in Bitwig?
1) There are 2 ways to edit automation - either by invoking automation panel at the botton (key "A", I don't use those F1-F12 but there's one for that there as well), or by simply unfolding the automation lane on the track itself, which is done by clicking this icon with 3 stacked horizontal lines. Because Bitwig differentiates between track automation and clip automation, I prefer to work with the former on the track itself and on the latter in separate panel

2) The panels themselves & shortcuts work in a bit unusual way in Bitwig - if they're not on screen, clicking a key will bring them up (A - Automation, D - Devices, M - Mixer, E - detail Editor, L - cLip launcher, O - linear arranger), BUT if they're on screen already two thing can happen: if you're focued in that panel, then it will get hidden; if you're focused somewhere else (say you're editing your arrangement and hit D while Devices panel is already visible) the focus will be moved to that panel (devices, in this case), which means it is ready to "receive" shortcuts. This is really confusing at first and I still don't understand why it's even implemeted like that, but since then I've learned to for example press T to focus on track headers or O (I think, I might've changed that one) to focus on sequencer, or L to reveal clip launcher, or M to quickly look at the mixer, etc.

3) In Bitwig order of the devices is left to right, so usually first there will be some note fx (like Arpeggiator, Diatonic Transposer that restricts notes to key & scale), then there will be instrument or some container device (Instrument Layer or Selector) that houses several instruments; and then effects. It can definitely get confusing, but I don't like how Studio One does it either - they show all instruments together in one window, so it's not very easy to see which FX chain they're followed by. And once you open the FX chain, the devices themselves are listed in tabs, but their actual order can be different, because you might've made some complex setup using Extended FX Chains with splits and parallel processing, that you don't see immediately. In Bitwig everything is laid out together in one line, with very clear hierarchical structure. I think it's a matter of getting used to :)

4) For me the right-hand browser could be gone completely. I only use it for dragging in samples or other files like clips. Devices & presets are much easier to access using the pop-up browser, that comes up when you click the "+" in devices chain panel.
Last edited by antic604 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm
DeusMortis wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 pm What do you guys think about that? Are you totally fluent in Bitwig?
I'm quite new with Bitwig, but i haven't really had any problems. Today for the second time Antic604 has had to point me in the direction of something i hadn't realised exists, but i haven't noticed anything about Bitwig that i'd really call a problem, except one tiny niggle which i've already mentioned and that's every bounced master track gets titled "master" which i'd rather has the songtitle or "songtitle (master)".
That's easy - rename the master track to your song's title :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:59 am
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm
That's easy - rename the master track to your song's title :)
That's what i do!

Solo button in the inspector window. There's already a mute button , so ..

Export to mp3

Return to “Bitwig”