PiperRoX - Naya Revere Her

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A track I've been tweaking for a while. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/piperrox/piperro ... revere-her

this is a fine example why i say you have to find the balance with the kick and everything else.
all i mostly hear on this are the drums. all other sounds are so quiet they cant be heard very well.
the kick drum in a track is usually quite repetitive and if you give it the main focus, you
can make the track pretty monotonous.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:36 am this is a fine example why i say you have to find the balance with the kick and everything else.
all i mostly hear on this are the drums. all other sounds are so quiet they cant be heard very well.
the kick drum in a track is usually quite repetitive and if you give it the main focus, you
can make the track pretty monotonous.

That's because there aren't many other sounds. This is very "loopy". Just sounds like 2 or 3 drum loops and some other loops mixed in.

I am glad you at least put a little break in there. But this sounds a little on the lazy side to me. Not trying to be mean or anything. I think negative feedback is probably the best sort of feedback usually even though it's not fun to get. It's for sure not the worst song I ever heard, that would be my first song I ever did.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

You have the same problem I had. Indeed your kick is too loud but I understand that in your ears it needs to be that loud to have a bit of impact.
Thing is, when you crank up your volume you will hear it better, thats how I understood my kick was indeed way too loud. When its on normal volume you can ignore it and think its okay but just try and put the song very loud for a few seconds and you will hear, that indeed, the kick is too loud.
Thats how I do it now. I just crank up the volume and then hear how loud the kick really is, in my ears its best to hear it that way.
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

Thanks for the feedeback guys. Kick may definitely be a little too loud. When you say drums, are you merely referring to the kick, or all percussive elements being too loud?

Layzer, did you listen to this on a sound system? When I listen with headphones, everything sounds great, but yes the kick is a bit boomy. I like it though. But when I listen to it on my Sony sound system, certain elements do fade into the background and the kick is very present. Funnily enough, this is the first track I have made where I began with levelling everything around the kick. I thought I had done well. Clearly not lol.

ATS, negative feedback is the most useful for sure. I disagree that it is lazy though. I have spent a LOT of time on this, and they're not loops for the most part, they were created from scratch and any loop used was modified with procesinng, but I think you mean loopy as is repetative and there not being many other sounds added? I love this song creatively. It gives me life. But I understand not everyone will have the connection with it that I do.

Mozex, thank you for giving practical solutions to the kick problem, as far as trying it out loud vs normal. I've always loved a thudding kick, and it's hard at times to see when it may be too much. Especially since I mix, and have always mixed in headphones. Unfortunately, my living situation does't allow me to mix and produce on my sound system. And if it did, I probably wouldn't because I'm private about my creations lol.

Thanks again guys for the feedback :)

piperrox wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:07 am Layzer, did you listen to this on a sound system?
i listen with my sony speakers. the drum track is what
i hear the most followed by the bass then the tinkling piano.
the drums and bass sound good, but i think thats really all thats going on
here. keep learning music composition and arranging to produce
what sounds like a complete song.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”