Behringer Pro-800

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Surprised that there isn't a thread about this yet... 8 voice polyphony for approximately $600: https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-reve ... ra-voices/

Feels like a must have, thanks. :)

I had a synthedit P600 emulation plugin long ago that I got some nice stuff out of. This Behringer will probably be much more spot on the real thing.

It's amazing at which price point they're able to offer those synths... $600 is really nothing for a 8 voice analog synth I think. I'm sure it'll sound great as well. :)

In the meantime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2BmlttuhI

Yeah, the price is crazy. And I like the compact size, because I don't have much space. I think I might get this one at one point.

That article starts off with: "Well it’s not pretty..."

WTF? I think the B800 is beautiful! :love:

Then again, I've always been a big fan of the Sequential Circuits aesthetic, ever since brand new Prophet 5's and Prophet 10's were sitting in my local music store. I couldn't afford them at the time, but oh, how I wanted them! :wink:

I can still remember playing a new Prophet 600. It was a budget synth in the Sequential lineup, but it still had a glorious warmth and tone. It was also the very first synth with MIDI. I hope Behringer does a good job with these.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Prophet 600 GliGli ++ for $600... wow.

The hardware synth market is being shaken up, big time. Can’t wait to see what not only Beh, but other companies too, come up with in the near future. :tu:

Definitely hoping this gets close in the ballpark sound-wise. I was looking out for a Prophet 600 earlier this year but let two or three good-looking deals pass by after hearing about Behringer's remake. The Pro 800 and BBG Wave will both have a lot of appeal for me if they turn out well.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

McLilith wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 am I can still remember playing a new Prophet 600. It was a budget synth in the Sequential lineup, but it still had a glorious warmth and tone.
From the sound demos I've heard, I think it sounds absolutely fantastic. Fat, warm, and, it also has that typical Oberheim-ish spacey sweep sound, when you turn up the resonance, and close the filter. No wonder, seems like it has the same filter chips as the Matrix-12 and the Xpander.

It seems the GliGli mod for the original Prophet 600 (which the Pro-800 will also include) addresses the most common complaints, such as the low resolution of the parameters and sluggishness of the envelopes. So it should be very close to a Prophet 5 Rev3 in sound (not identical, obviously), but with 8 voices, and for $600.

I was going to wait for the UBXa before I buy another synth, but this might be too good to pass. On the other hand, if they manage to put this out for just $600, the UBXa might also be shockingly cheap once it comes out.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:33 am It seems the GliGli mod for the original Prophet 600 (which the Pro-800 will also include) addresses the most common complaints, such as the low resolution of the parameters and sluggishness of the envelopes. So it should be very close to a Prophet 5 Rev3 in sound (not identical, obviously), but with 8 voices, and for $600.

I was going to wait for the UBXa before I buy another synth, but this might be too good to pass. On the other hand, if they manage to put this out for just $600, the UBXa might also be shockingly cheap once it comes out.
Except that the UBXa will have a keyboard, therefore most likely a bit more more expensive. Maybe I will wait to see if a tabletop version comes out.

The Pro-800 seems good and the fact that they are working with GliGli on it says something about their commitment to getting things right. Kudos to Uli for that!

I played around with a load of old analogues back in the day, but somehow never had any old Prophets, so these are a little new to me. Have to say that is a real character synth, and the price - very hard to say no to. I've already got the MonoPoly on my list after I get a Wavestate, and I think this or whatever other Prophety kind of thing Behringer are going to bring out might have to be on my next after next list.

I love that filter, but what sold it to me is the sync - I still haven't heard a VSTi that does a sync that I like - I fondly remember the old Roland JX series sync - screaming but rich at the same time. I can imagine fiddling around with the Prophet sync and full use of the filters is going to blow my ears off. Can do FM too, which is a real bonus. Behringer can be very hit and miss (I really don't like the 303 thingy they did), but I think this is a definite hit.

Wants.

Very muchly. :love:

kritikon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 am I still haven't heard a VSTi that does a sync that I like - I fondly remember the old Roland JX series sync - screaming but rich at the same time. I can imagine fiddling around with the Prophet sync and full use of the filters is going to blow my ears off.
The synth in the intro of "Let's Go", by The Cars, is possibly the most famous example of Prophet hard sync. Greg Hawkes played this particular part on a Prophet 5. He uses that sound several times throughout the song, and even ends the song with it, turning up some heavy modulation on the ending note. Of course, using different control settings can give you different results, if this particular example isn't exactly what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrmevLXE_kM

Note: The "string part" you hear later in the song wasn't played on the Prophet 5. I forgot what synth was used for that, but it was a different brand and model. Also, if you hear a staccato "honk, honk" sound in the background of the verses, that's coming from the drummer's Synare electronic drums, probably the Synare SX3 model. I have an S3X, and it has a preset that sounds identical.

But yes, Prophets are famous for their hard sync. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the B-800. :)
GlenVision.com

Can you save and recall presets on this one?
Last edited by InsertNameHere on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's quite handy behringer bringing this out, it means we should get lots of comparison videos when synapse bring out their p600 Gligli clone :hihi:

kritikon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 amWants.

Very muchly. :love:
Same here! :)

I wonder if it will also fit in a Eurorack, like so many other Behringer synth modules?
GlenVision.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”