Distortion make sound snap

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hope you're all well KVR users!

I'm looking for an effect/way to make drum sound snap or click! All distortion I have tried just make a regular dist with no snap. Is it some kind of wave shaping I should use? Any tips are welcome!

I believe the effect you're looking for should be achievable with a transient shaper.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

wha-da-ell do ya mean snap?

Kinh wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 pm wha-da-ell do ya mean snap?
not crackle, not pop, but the other one.
do you know nothing?????

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm I believe the effect you're looking for should be achievable with a transient shaper.
Thanks! Yes like the attack sound a transient shaper make, but I want it more aggressive and distorted!

ferdik wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:29 pm
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm I believe the effect you're looking for should be achievable with a transient shaper.
Thanks! Yes like the attack sound a transient shaper make, but I want it more aggressive and distorted!
Use a gate to expose the transient and then apply distortion to that. The more exaggerated the transient, the easier this will be. You could always accentuate the transient first - either use a transient shaper or optical compressor.

Multiband distortion might also help.

double the same sample and only use the attack of the 2nd layer. Then process it with distortion and what not.
blend the two to taste
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks guys!

I get similar sound to what I want then using a transient shaper (thanks AsPeeXXXVIII). But since the sound distort when adding it to the channel I need to lower the volume and so it don't exceed zero on the mixer. And when doing that all the character of the sound is gone and just a little click is left. I want the sound to keep the character it has before I need to lower volume.

If you post a sample which you're trying to process I can have a look

Thanks everyone! I played around more with transient shaper and envelopes. And it's the envelopes I needed to work more with. Sometimes the solution is right before your eyes. They both make the attack sharper om drums and can make them tighter. And I can add a little distortion for a rougher sound.

This is what I meant before

Gives you control of the attack and then you can add a more subtle distortion to the body of the snare and of course process more if needed.
The dynamic range stays the same because of the clipper(or limiter) but the processed snare is much fatter (too much in this case but just to show how it's been done for years by many producers)

GL

https://vimeo.com/461081945

CHOOS wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:08 pm This is what I meant before

Gives you control of the attack and then you can add a more subtle distortion to the body of the snare and of course process more if needed.
The dynamic range stays the same because of the clipper(or limiter) but the processed snare is much fatter (too much in this case but just to show how it's been done for years by many producers)

GL

https://vimeo.com/461081945
That's a nice technique, thanks for sharing!

Return to “Sound Design”