oldskool techno of the Detroit kind

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was an attempt to do some techno that harks back to the mid-90s or so. It's inspired by the work of Carl Craig (from around the time of More Songs about Food and Revolutionary Art) and Derrick May.

It uses a pretty stripped down palette of the kind used at the time: Korg M1 (plugin version), FM (Ableton's Operator in this case) and a bit of analogue, with a TR-606 (Nithonat).
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

this was cool, i think the star of it was the pitch bendy M1 strings.
anyone that roams the plugin forum knows i promote it alot. Low cpu,
fantastic polyphony, huge layering, uncanny emu of the hardware and inexpensive.
but mostly, it still sounds great. the mix on this was clear and yeah,the song itself
didnt have alot going on but the changes in the drums and the string
modulations kept it interesting
to the end. enjoyed :tu:

edit: someone's life revolves around down voting
every one of my posts in this forum. what a sad,
lowlife existance.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks layzer.

I saw that downvote and wondered if you’ve got a stalker, or someone running a bot.

Very nice indeed!

I used to listen to Carl Craig's Dj Kicks a lot, this takes me back to those more innocent times.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Thanks revvy.

Going back to some of those albums and tracks really shows how the aesthetics around techno have changed in 20 years - it seems Jeff Mills was the one who wound up steering the genre.

dont see you around here often 8)

nice work, does remind me of many a night, thinking i could dance :oops:

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 pm dont see you around here often 8)
I know. :oops:

I'VE BEEN BUSY. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (To be honest, the hard drive littered with unfinished/half-baked projects is not a pretty sight)
nice work, does remind me of many a night, thinking i could dance :oops:
Thanks.

In those days, everyone could dance. Not like now. You've got to know steps and moves and stuff. There's a reason people went off disco.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 pm In those days, everyone could dance. Not like now. You've got to know steps and moves and stuff. There's a reason people went off disco.
theres actually a vhs of my 18th at my mums house. (the party wasnt, that was at the knights of st columba catholic club)
theres a rather embarrassing zoomed in on me and my gf, dancing to dinosaur jr show me the way :o
donks posted that goth vid, ok i didnt have the back comb(she did) but that was us :oops:
i seriously look like im fitting :lol:
Last edited by vurt on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think you're allowed those things on an 18th. I hope so anyway.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 am I saw that downvote and wondered if you’ve got a stalker
i dont know, its pretty creepy.
if i was a mod, i would try to look into
who it is abusing that forum feature
and ban the cancer. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

It's one of the reasons why forums often wind up getting rid of the downvote button: it's just too easy to abuse in this way.

layzer wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:02 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 am I saw that downvote and wondered if you’ve got a stalker
i dont know, its pretty creepy.
if i was a mod, i would try to look into
who it is abusing that forum feature
and ban the cancer. :idea:
just ignore it.
they tend to go away after a bit if you do :)

theres a thread in site stuff, several of us went through it.

youve joined a new club :tu:

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:10 am Thanks revvy.

Going back to some of those albums and tracks really shows how the aesthetics around techno have changed in 20 years - it seems Jeff Mills was the one who wound up steering the genre.
You say that as if it were a bad thing ;)

Even when I was younger and still wore my techno troosers I always appreciated JM more than I actually enjoyed him, especially in terms of his DJ sets.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 am Even when I was younger and still wore my techno troosers I always appreciated JM more than I actually enjoyed him, especially in terms of his DJ sets.
I know what you mean. I think I like Mills' stuff now more than back then, when there was a little bit of "uh oh, here comes the nosebleed stuff" about it.

Return to “Music Cafe”