So, what are today's most authentic Rhodes plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The title says it all... The Rhodes sound is one of my favorite sounds in music :)

I only have Air Velvet, but its user interface is so small I never use it. The sound is not bad, but it doesn't give me goosebumps.

I love Richard Tee's Rhodes sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_L9r2CAzGA

Not sure about the best, but the Waves one is actually really nice. If you experiment with amps and other fun things, it's really versatile and fun to use.

I'd say the ones in Spectrasonics Keyscape.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Lounge Lizard EP-4 by Applied Acoustics Systems :idea:

Out of the many I own, the one I use almost daily is Pianoteq.
https://www.modartt.com/electric

I very much liked Lounge Lizard too, but after a particular update thst improved the P6 engine, it seemed almost redundant, so I sold it.
And one of the other ones mentioned I kind of like to sell, but the company has one of those exorbitant transfer fees that keeps me procrastinating from putting it up on the market.

Keyscape sounds a good measure better than my Rhodes. No emulation is going to work properly without a good weighted controller, though.

Out of the ones I've tried, I currently use Lounge Lizzard, and Addictive Keys for my e-pianos for different types of sounds, they compliment each other nicely.

My favorites are Keyscape & Neo Soul Keys Studio 2

The Lounging Lizard is the Rhodes King in my world :)
No auto tune...

Keyscape (I used Lounging Lizard before I had keyscape)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Thanks for your suggestions.

I used to have the Lounge Lizard thingy, it produced some odd sounds occasionally, probably due to flaws of their modeling algorithm, that's why I sold it, it didn't have that full sound that I am looking for, anyway.

Keyscape sounds good, but it is way too expensive for me :o

Has anyone tried the Sampleson plugins? They have various electric pianos and they sound very good on their site, but there are no demo versions, and I don't want to buy any only to find out they are crap, or buggy or whatever.

https://sampleson.com/markus-electric-piano-vst.html

I have some of the Sampleson plugins. They haven't been buggy for me, but I'm a crap pianist and have no experience with real Rhodes so I can't say too much about how well they replicate the originals. However, I would say that they're relatively simple in that they mostly handle the fundamentals of the sound and you would probably want to use FX for things like saturation and modulation.

I do have access to a Wurlitzer, though. I need to spend a little time comparing the Reed200 to it. Maybe find a way to get the hum, static, and stuck keys properly replicated...
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

I never had problems with Lounge Lizard EP-4. Maybe the volume was to high or Velocity to 100 % or a problem with your DAW, so that clipping occured? Or a chord with 13 notes at the same time?

Any others who had these problems?

Personally I like CPU-saving emulations more than having 999 GB of piano samples on the hard disk. Can lead to performance problems, too.

Return to “Instruments”