Don´t want to suppor thes Window sh... anymore. Change to Linux?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cleverr1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am So without quoting everyone what I'm reading here is that the advantage of choosing Linux is that you'd save the cost of a licence in comparison to Windows.
Money for licenses isn't an issue in first-world countries. In oppressed economies, the cost of owning/running a computer of any sort is an issue.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 pm You can pick up legit licenses for 99% less than that.
Or get an old Win7/8 licence and upgrade that for free.
Yup. There's a load on eBay from sellers with zero feedback right now. I guess there's chance they'll stay activated.

glokraw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:06 pm
cleverr1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am So without quoting everyone what I'm reading here is that the advantage of choosing Linux is that you'd save the cost of a licence in comparison to Windows.
Money for licenses isn't an issue in first-world countries. In oppressed economies, the cost of owning/running a computer of any sort is an issue.
Totally agree. I've not seen anything lately but there used to be schemes where PCs from the UK were recycled to at least some of the poorer African nations. If these devices came from offices then they'd probably have an OEM Windows licence sticker, but if not then yes o/s licence costs would be significant and it's great that there's a free legit alternative.

jancivil wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:00 pm Can't install it under Linux in any version. :shrug: Why not be real.
Cherry picking _fill-in-the-blank_ that doesn't work :roll:
The reality I experience is that there are more top-flight windows plugins and executables that run in linux, in my happily customized work/play environments, than I will ever have time for, or a need for. Our 'needs' are different. Things have changed a lot since 2018, the advent of plugin-wrappers, audio software repositories, no-brainer sales, and wine-staging, are game-changers for those interested in alternatives. There are dozens of people who have discovered you can make music without Pro-Tools, Ableton, Cubase, windows 10, or whatever mac OS version etc

A secondary reality is that most windows plugins that are not commercially advertised or sold in stores, but are still excellent,
also will work in linux.

A third reality is that you can make excellent music in linux without any of the windows/mac items.

Blending those realities without the on-screen limitations of the duopoly is actually great fun, inspiring, and surmounting the few extra learning curves always helps keep the synapse hordes firing.

The real question is why are people hitting a brickwall limiter that insists there can be two, and only two software environments in which to be creative?
Cheers

cleverr1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am Is there any tangible advantage of using Linux as a platform for a DAW? (other than the not supporting the duopoly thing). I'd hope it was at least more efficient on resources.
Linux IS the daw.

A daw software in linux is just one part of many choices, in my case, Reaper is the daw software I use most often, but even in those sessions, I often record Reaper output after it is processed by linux effects, using simple linux recording utilities, or routing into Harrison Mixbus for 'that' sound, or routing into Lurssen Mastering console for 'that' sound.
yada yada yada

My favorite system gui is 'Enlightenment'. Typically with four virtual desktops, a custom theme, and a chosen gtk sub-theme. The main menu is on the right-mouse button, the file manager is heavily capable of performing common tasks, and the commandline history enables quickly launching my priorities.

I also use xfce system gui in some setups, seen in some recent screenshots in the commercial linux software topic, and Puppy linux has default jwm, and a lot of gui crafters enjoy recent kde plasma improvements, a video of customizing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyz4-KZOzyI

glokraw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:50 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:00 pm Can't install it under Linux in any version. :shrug: Why not be real.
Cherry picking _fill-in-the-blank_ that doesn't work :roll:
The reality I experience is that there are more top-flight windows plugins and executables that run in linux, in my happily customized work/play environments, than I will ever have time for, or a need for. Our 'needs' are different. Things have changed a lot since 2018, the advent of plugin-wrappers, audio software repositories, no-brainer sales, and wine-staging, are game-changers for those interested in alternatives. There are dozens of people who have discovered you can make music without Pro-Tools, Ableton, Cubase, windows 10, or whatever mac OS version etc

A secondary reality is that most windows plugins that are not commercially advertised or sold in stores, but are still excellent,
also will work in linux.

A third reality is that you can make excellent music in linux without any of the windows/mac items.
A forth reality would be that Linux doesn't currently support any DAW, plugins and audio interface drivers with all the features that are available on Mac or Windows.
glokraw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:50 pm The real question is why are people hitting a brickwall limiter that insists there can be two, and only two software environments in which to be creative?
There's nothing inherently uncreative about working within a limiting environment. For example I love playing with ideas on my recently reacquired Atari STE with my 80s MIDI modules. If I were to find a creative advantage in working this way I could drive my Atari via SMPTE or MTC and use the main DAW in the same way as we'd need to pay upwards of £1k per day for a proper mix studio back in the 90s.

So a fifth reality is that there are DAW solutions which run on platforms other that Linux which are simply better.

Linux has too many limitations. Finally you use tricks like "Wine" to use Windows plugins again... honestly, with such tricks you can stay with Windows.
I tried Reaper, because it was the only DAW that ran on Wine. Today there is Bitwig which makes it a bit easier. But in the end it doesn't work without Windows plugins. If you need iLok, eLicenser or the UAD, it ends pretty quickly.

Windows is actually a great system for making music. With actual hardware it doesn't really cause any problems. The alternative is MacOS X. Linux can be used for many things (which I do) but making music is not one of them.

For what it's worth, the "Waveform PRO" DAW, by Tracktion, is available for Ubuntu, as well as Windows and Mac. Heck, there's even a version that runs on a Raspberry Pi! :o

https://www.tracktion.com/

They also offer a very nice free version of the program, but I'm not sure if it's also available for Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi. If not, you could always try the free version on a Windows or Mac system, to see if you like it.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

A couple thousand words...

Cakewalk-Kontakt-Ubuntu.png
Cakewalk-Syntronik.png
A couple thousand sounds :hyper: :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4damind wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm Linux has too many limitations. Finally you use tricks like "Wine" to use Windows plugins again... honestly, with such tricks you can stay with Windows.
I tried Reaper, because it was the only DAW that ran on Wine. Today there is Bitwig which makes it a bit easier. But in the end it doesn't work without Windows plugins. If you need iLok, eLicenser or the UAD, it ends pretty quickly.

Windows is actually a great system for making music. With actual hardware it doesn't really cause any problems. The alternative is MacOS X. Linux can be used for many things (which I do) but making music is not one of them.
Wine is no trick, it provides an api to run code in a gui. Which it does well, and improving with every release. You imply that windows 10 is universally loved, making wine in linux pointless. If you universally love windows, I wish you many happy anniversaries.

The linux versions of Bitwig and Harrison Mixbus are not presented as 'lite' versions. The linux Reaper version is very capable, in normal use benefitting greatly from the LinVst plugin wrapper (a once-and-done process) it is almost the equivalent of the win version in wine, with a few exceptions, and a few bundled plugins that might not be ported yet.

I've heard many reports here at kvr, mentioning that ilok ended quickly :wink"

Whats your chosen linux distro atm? Have you tried LinVst plugin wrapper? A 2022 wine-staging or audio distro? I recently put MX Linux (debian) on a 128 gig miniSD recently, a handy backup of favorite U-he, NI and IK products.
Cheers

4damind wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm Linux has too many limitations ... If you need iLok, eLicenser or the UAD, it ends pretty quickly.
... Linux can be used for many things (which I do) but making music is not one of them.
See, I'd argue it the other way; technologies such as iLok is what's limiting. Again, Linux isn't actively limiting anything you do. Moreover, Linux is an open book. Win/Mac is certainly not--and to an alarming degree if you ask me.

It is the aforementioned tech which has limited itself to Win/Mac. They can come to Linux at anytime.
Which brings up a curious question: Who--or what--is limiting who here? To me, I see it as a macrocosm of attitudes out there. I don't think most people really want to embrace a free and open platform--people don't really desire freedom as it turns out. Rather, they want to be taken care of. Win/Mac, in essence, promises this.

I'm pretty confident though that people in time will see the compromise they've made and decide for something better. At least I sure hope.

Kott wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:34 am
...Another sad true is lack of native mixer apps. Just couple of cards/vendors have good control software: RME and Echo, last one is not produced anymore and has PCI only version :(
There were attempts to build "universal" mixer, most complete is ffado-mixer, but FireWire is dead.
mAudio cards have a mixer app, envy24control, or the
newer mudita24. Firewire can be useful long after developement has stopped. Bargains can be had, if one studies up on the prospects.
Cheers
envy24control.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

McLilith wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 pm For what it's worth, the "Waveform PRO" DAW, by Tracktion, is available for Ubuntu, as well as Windows and Mac. Heck, there's even a version that runs on a Raspberry Pi! :o

https://www.tracktion.com/

They also offer a very nice free version of the program, but I'm not sure if it's also available for Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi. If not, you could always try the free version on a Windows or Mac system, to see if you like it.
i posted a screenshot of Amplitube4 in Waveform over here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=503359&p=7859158&h ... k#p7859158

Daws filling the Christmas stockings :party:

Cheers

I already made music under Linux about 15 years ago, my Delta 1010 ran quite well under Linux at that time. There was even a mixer application. But not all plugins were running with Wine. I couldn't use my UAD and Waves and Co. Also the whole thing was sometimes a bit unstable.
I had LFS, Gentoo and then later Debian unstable and you had to compile some stuff yourself (even with Ubuntu Studio it wasn't better).

Even today there are very few plugin developers or audio hardware manufacturers that support Linux.

At the end of the day, Windows or MacOS X are much better suited for making music. Even though I like Linux very much, it's just not optimal for this purpose, because there are hardly any manufacturers that support it.
Hardware dongles have always been a problem under Linux and currently I don't see the developers saying goodbye to it completely (yes, and sometimes you just need plugins that might need a dongle)

glokraw wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:00 pm
Kott wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:34 am
...Another sad true is lack of native mixer apps. Just couple of cards/vendors have good control software: RME and Echo, last one is not produced anymore and has PCI only version :(
There were attempts to build "universal" mixer, most complete is ffado-mixer, but FireWire is dead.
mAudio cards have a mixer app, envy24control, or the
newer mudita24. Firewire can be useful long after developement has stopped. Bargains can be had, if one studies up on the prospects.
Cheers

envy24control.png
Yes, I forgot about envy24.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”