Lightweight effects. Your suggestions please.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For bread and butter mixing stuff (gate, eq, comp, etc), i'd suggest the metric halo channel strip. It's VERY light weight and does a pretty good job, despite being a bit long in the tooth. For fx, maybe u-he's ubik stuff? I like the psp 42 and 85 for delays, as well.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm Lightweight fx = shit TBH.

That said, the Klanghelm stuff is pretty low CPU to sound quality ration.

Otherwise, it's like with soft synths really. Good sound quality comes at a cost.
Complete bullshit! :smack: :shrug:

Valhalla, Boz, Overloud, some Waves Stuff (API 2500, the V stuff and more), some IK stuff (Opto Comp, 670 and some others), several Eventide plugins, UVi Rotary and even more so GG Spin, PA ADA Flanger, 2CA PBJ and others - all this stuff is super light on the CPU and sounds great.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I've been compiling a list for myself and a friend, hopefully its understandable enough for anyone. The fx are ordered lowest cpu use to highest, the ranking index (for example: .06) coming from Reaper's Performance Meter. The numbers relative to each other is the significant conclusion. Unfortunately for most of the testing I didn't make note of the fx I tested that were high cpu.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bq6 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by ericzang on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Very low CPU effects:

- Your DAW stuff should have you covered.

- The Air Creative FX Plus Bundle can often be had for around $20 and it has the effects that came in Pro Tools and we've heard in countless award-winning records. Those are old but reliable and very low CPU. It's like 30 effects.

- If you want a top notch channel strip with "analog" tools, look at the McDSP 6050. Can often be had on sale for $50 or less, and comes with just short of 30 top-tier effects: compressors, eqs, saturators, gates, etc. All incredibly low CPU and great quality. McDSP excels at figuring out how to get the effects to work without needing oversampling and using clever efficient algorithms.

- The only thing I would add is a solid reverb. Typically the DAW's one is not great, and the one in the AIR bundle although low CPU is not going to win awards, I would not use it for render. There are a few good choices, and I would recommend PhoenixVerb when on sale, can be found for under $30.

Honorary mention: the ToneBoosters v3 bundles. Affordable, great, powerful, low CPU.
Last edited by jochicago on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericzang wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 am I've been compiling a list for myself and a friend, hopefully its understandable enough for anyone. The fx are ordered lowest cpu use to highest, the ranking index (for example: .06) coming from Reaper's Performance Meter. The numbers relative to each other is the significant conclusion. Unfortunately for most of the testing I didn't make note of the fx I tested that were high cpu.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P2t ... 41gOU/edit
this is great! thank you! [microtun] stands for microtuning?

Low CPU: Kilohearts

Fabfilter Pro-Q.

paradisebunny wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:15 am this is great! thank you! [microtun] stands for microtuning?
Thanks! Yes that's right.

Orilriver is an amazing sounding reverb with negligible cpu load in my experience (recently Reaper on an old i5 laptop).

A1Triggergate

Loads of great stuff that is low in CPU.

All Valhalla stuff
New KH-1 comp by BR
smartcomp
True Iron
Eventide Omnipressor
All the PA strips
Crave EQ
Echoboy....to name just a few.

Best Rick.

Pretty much all Waves stuff that came out before 2014. And PSP plugins (I haven't tried the new channel strip so not sure about that).

Reverb - Orilriver +1

The Plug & Mix VIP bundle containing 50 fx is currently on sale for $49. Maybe an option here?
https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/au ... vip-bundle

added several more reverbs to my ranking list above

Return to “Effects”