Shorthand info about orchestral standards?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anybody experimented with panning/mixing based on the real life layout of an orchestra? What tricks are there when it comes to trying to make certain sections feel more real?

For example, not all of the violins are in the same spot. Some are farther away, and they occupy a different horizontal position. Should different notes of a chord have different panning/volume? Basically what I'm asking is, what are key differences between a real recording and using samples that make the biggest difference, in your opinion?

Kiiryu wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm Basically what I'm asking is, what are key differences between a real recording and using samples that make the biggest difference, in your opinion?
Haha, that dispute comes up very regularly. :neutral:

For a "real sounding" orchestra panning and room are your smallest problems.
A real orchestra has very different articulations. That means every single
note is played with a different attack, vibrato and strength. And every note-
to-note may have a legato-transition.

IMO it is very difficult to mimic all these articulations in a realistic way. But
of course, there are musicians that do this with a more or less good result.

My advice for you: Try to realize the different articulations - and try to
mimic an orchestral part. At your first try your attempt will sound clunky
and sterile, but you can improve on that ... :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

^^^ +1

If the samples are stereo already: just don't bother.

Listen to a good real orchestra recording on headphones. What do you exactly hear stereo-wise?
First tell me that, then we can discuss further.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

2CAudio has one of the best toolsets for that - combination of the Breeze2 - Precedence gives you possibility in very natural sounding placing of the orchestral instruments, and what’s essential, the integrated reverb-settings for each position. Useful presets, as well. Recommended.

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 am 2CAudio has one of the best toolsets for that - combination of the Breeze2 - Precedence gives you possibility in very natural sounding placing of the orchestral instruments, and what’s essential, the integrated reverb-settings for each position. Useful presets, as well. Recommended.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Also check out Matthew Lane DrMS.. I don't know if it would help you get the panning by-the-book, but it sounds great :)

This video shows using it on an orchestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ndlyh ... =emb_title

Return to “Production Techniques”