I just published the first version of Audiobench, a free/open-source modular synthesizer.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Downloads, source code, and a getting started guide can be found here (https://joshua-maros.github.io/audiobench/). I would be interested in hearing what you all think about it. If you make a cool sound you want to share then you can copy and paste your patch as text.
Screenshot_20200922_123521.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-) the component (audiounit) version does not show as instrument but as effect (in hostingAU)

-) the component (audiounit) imediatlely crashes hostingAU (crashlog saved)
-) the component (audiounit) crashes auval in logic 10.5.1 (crashlog saved)

that's under mojave 10.14.6

It tries to load as effect in FL 11 amd 20.

It's not showing at all here. What are the technical requirements?

Are all of you on MacOS? That was the only platform I was unable to test. I was hoping that the library I was using to make it work cross-platform would make it work on MacOS without me having to tweak anything but that does not appear to be the case.

I am on windows 7. Are there any special cpu requirements?

The binary works in Ubuntu Studio 20.04, but I had to grant user permission to execute it. The gui module view scales nicely with middle-mouse button, and elements drag smoothly in it's window, and the window resizes OK from the corner widget. I really like the color scheme.
(i7 2600 cpu, mAudio pci soundcard, nvidia 9400 pcie videocard
with proprietary nVidia driver, 8 gig ram, and a goodly sized box of luck )

Congrats on the first release, looking forward to many more :hyper:

AudioBench-Ubuntu-rak.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok, I had to unblock it by opening properties. Now it shows as an effect, not an instrument (in Cakewalk By Bandlab) and doesn't make any sound.

VST3 is not recognized by Reaper 6 (64bit) on MacOS 10.13.6, and AU crashes Reaper on load.

Also, there's a minor issue with the image layout on the site. The guide and sponsor icons are oversized on Chrome, while the Windows icon is oversized on Safari. (All the icons seem well behaved on Firefox.)
ImageLayout.png
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Thanks for making a Linux version! Are there any special instructions for installing it? I know VST3 can be fussy about folder locations, although it's surprisingly hard to find any clear documentation. I've copied the downloaded file to ~/.vst3/Audiobench/Contents/x86_64-linux/Audiobench.so and added execute permission, but Reaper is still not recognising it.

This looks neat! unfortunately it's crashing a lot on various actions - usually when "Compiling..."
Not sure if there is any sort of debug/logging info that might help in this situation - it's too common for me to isolate one cause and raise a proper issue.
(Windows 10, standalone and VST3 in Reaper 6)

in VST3, because it loads as an effect but not an instrument, it doesn't properly receive MIDI and does not make sound for me- I believe it's related to the "Plugin Characteristics" field in JUCE.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

FrogsInPants wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:28 pm VST3 is not recognized by Reaper 6 (64bit) on MacOS 10.13.6, and AU crashes Reaper on load.

Also, there's a minor issue with the image layout on the site. The guide and sponsor icons are oversized on Chrome, while the Windows icon is oversized on Safari. (All the icons seem well behaved on Firefox.)

ImageLayout.png
Same here using Opera, I was about to mention this.

Gonna test the plugin and report back. Always nice to see a new open-source synth get released. And we're talking here about a big boy from what I gather. :tu:

wow great, will try it when I find some time

Bitwig on OS X Mojave spits out that error:

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Communications error with plugin host process
exit code:139
stdout:
PluginHost: Reading VST 3 plugin metadata for /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Audiobench.vst3

stderr:
Pure virtual function called!

Cakewalk recognizes the plugin as an audio effect.

Return to “Instruments”