Is the ryzen 9 3900x enough?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right now I have a terrible pc and my CPU is the bane of my existence. I can’t get anywhere near finishing projects because my computer will buffer and crash even when everything is on draft mode.

If I buy a new pc with a 3900x, will I ever even have to think about CPU again? Or should I go with a more high end CPU?

AveryW wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:41 pm Right now I have a terrible pc and my CPU is the bane of my existence. I can’t get anywhere near finishing projects because my computer will buffer and crash even when everything is on draft mode.

If I buy a new pc with a 3900x, will I ever even have to think about CPU again? Or should I go with a more high end CPU?
What's your current OS, cpu, ram. drives, main plugin/standalone softwares, daw(s), and what does an example project that doesn't get finished consist of?
Cheers

AveryW wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:41 pm Right now I have a terrible pc and my CPU is the bane of my existence. I can’t get anywhere near finishing projects because my computer will buffer and crash even when everything is on draft mode.

depends on how old you are.
if you are beyond your 50s it may ben enough til you no more ask for the lemon.

otherwise i recommend, waiting til the end of the month/year, cos there are the almighty new amd cpus on the brink of release. and all 3k ryzens will fall in price. means the 3950x too.^^
AND a 3700x should be good enough too atm, considering your descriptions. maybe best cpu for its price atm.

I have Ryzen 3900X and it's well enough to handle any music-production task with lots of synths and effects at 88200 Hz sampling.
But, now maybe not the best time as Ryzen 5000 is almost here...
https://wccftech.com/amd-next-generatio ... 00-series/
Yep, wait another month and you'll likely get 20% performance boost.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I bough Ryzen 3900x two weeks ago. Still migrating plugins from my old desktop with i7-860. For me it's the biggest CPU power jump of my life. For example my old CPU had benchmark about 2800 and Ryzen is about 32000. It's really ten times "faster"! I've had CPU consumption for Serum pads about 3-4% and now I have about 0,3%. I'm feeling overwhelmed with power 😊.

boriskarloff wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:05 pm I bough Ryzen 3900x two weeks ago. Still migrating plugins from my old desktop with i7-860. For me it's the biggest CPU power jump of my life. For example my old CPU had benchmark about 2800 and Ryzen is about 32000. It's really ten times "faster"! I've had CPU consumption for Serum pads about 3-4% and now I have about 0,3%. I'm feeling overwhelmed with power 😊.
what motherboard you using with this.. GPU?
thanks
tony

If want Thunderbolt ports, the Gigabyte B550 Vision D is the choice
https://www.igorslab.de/en/amds-b550-at ... erent-2/7/

You can even do a Ryzentosh
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/giga ... 0x.304553/

My specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
CPU paste: ARCTIC MX-4 2019
MB: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
Case: Fractal Design Define S
HD: SSD disk Crucial P1 500GB M.2 2280
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL16
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 550 Gold
GPU: Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX550 4GB

boriskarloff wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:29 pm My specs:

did you check wether your ram is available for 4 modules? or did you buy a 4 ram module kit?
i didnt with mine - well i did but too early...- , the gskill 3200 2x8 cl16, and i just discovered that i can not upgrade for using 4x8 modules (well i could, but then its running the lowest jedec speed...).
im just curious about, if your ram choice is running on that board with all 4 slots crammed with the gskills.

my plan is to upgrade to either a 3700x-3900x too. and exchange my gskill ram then depending on one capable of running with 4 modules.

anttimaatteri wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm
boriskarloff wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:29 pm My specs:

did you check wether your ram is available for 4 modules? or did you buy a 4 ram module kit?
i didnt with mine - well i did but too early...- , the gskill 3200 2x8 cl16, and i just discovered that i can not upgrade for using 4x8 modules (well i could, but then its running the lowest jedec speed...).
im just curious about, if your ram choice is running on that board with all 4 slots crammed with the gskills.

my plan is to upgrade to either a 3700x-3900x too. and exchange my gskill ram then depending on one capable of running with 4 modules.
Ryzen currently only supports dual channel RAM configurations. It's also quite sensitive to memory speed, and AFAIK running 4 sticks in dual channel mode makes it harder to hit the higher speeds that Ryzen loves on a lot of motherboards.

Zen 3 (i.e. the Ryzen 5000 series) is releasing later this month though, and there are architectural changes which may further mitigate the RAM speed sensitivity (Zen 2/the 3000 series already did a lot in this regard).

It's all down to what AMD call the 'Infinity Fabric' over which cores talk to one another. The Fabric has its own clockspeed, and while it can be decoupled from the RAM speed as of the 3000 series, it still works best when it's synchronised to the RAM. The Fabric runs at up to 1866 MHz, so if we double that (the "DDR" in DRR RAM stands for "double data rate") the ideal RAM speed is 3733 MHz.

FWIW I'm currently running a 3800X with 2 x 8GB 3600 CL18 RAM with the Infinity Fabric 'locked on' at 1800 MHz, which benchmarks seem to show as the most sensible price/performance solution.

Ryzen is a faff to be sure. With Intel you don't really need to dive into its technicalities and keep an eye on BIOS updates if you want to get the very best from your chip, but given the price/performance barriers that Ryzen has simply blasted wide open and the radically new and novel engineering that was needed to achieve it, I'm not really sure it could have been any other way. As a very happy user, it gets a strong "worth it" from me.

I am a Pictus follower.....my whole sysytem was built around his advice...the 3900x for me is fantastic....very happy with it cheers

Yeah, Pictus is the best, always goes extra mile giving best, thorough and honest advice's!

anttimaatteri wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm
You can use 4 modules, but the max clock speed may not be the same...
It depends on many factors, but with proper tweaking I bet you can run just fine!
Maybe even able to overclock the RAM!!
My Crucial 2x8 3000 and 2x16 3200MHz kits both runs at 3733MHz!!!

This is what you have to use https://www.overclock.net/threads/new-d ... h.1640919/
Try to run your 2x8 at 3600MHz if your CPU is a Ryzen 3000 series.

--------------------------------------------------------

traz wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:36 pm I am a Pictus follower.....my whole sysytem was built around his advice...the 3900x for me is fantastic....very happy with it cheers
Passing Bye wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:06 pm Yeah, Pictus is the best, always goes extra mile giving best, thorough and honest advice's!
Thanks for your considaration Traz&Passing Bye!

I've been running a Ryzen 3900x for almost a year with stock settings and I have never once hit any limits within a DAW (before upgrading I couldn't run single patches of certain plugins). Still, it's worth waiting for the next generation or discounts

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”