The Mad Scientist working title "Into The Mad Cave

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am working on this for a week or so now.

https://soundcloud.com/themadscientistbelgium
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

New version after experimenting for hours with Ozone 9 advanced en neutron 3 advanced.
I also gave a new kick since on the other forum people said the kick sounded not good.
I removed all effects and used neutron 3 to create a better sound, I also used ozone 9 on some of the instruments, namely the synths.
Then I put neutron 3 and ozone 9 on my masterbus and did somethings there too. Now I have to stop adding things in ozone 9 because my processor is reaching points between 65-80 (viewable in ableton live 10)
I have a good processor, I7 4ghz, at least it was good for gaming lol. But I can understand that my cpu meter is going crazy on ableton since I used the plugins on every track (neutron 3 that is, ozone 9 only on some synths) and the masterbus.
I also replaced the snare with a clap.
I recuded the rythme of the track also back to 130. I had upped it to 135 but it did not sound that good.

I will upload a new version so you can hear the difference better.
https://soundcloud.com/themadscientistb ... ew-version

Nice one, really dig the crossover retro style, keep it up!

Would have been nice to have some more filter action but then I don't know if this style generally has much movement.
Its a song though well done.

Thank you both. I spend a lot of time on this...For more then a week I got up around 6 and started working on it untill 8, then left for work. Came home around 2 o clock (I work part time on the moment, its a three month contract and if both parties are happy I get a full time contract) and then I started working on it again untill 10-12 evening /night and go to bed. The next day was the same.
So when someone tells me that I am lazy and put not a lot of effort in a song they are VERY wrong. It is not because it sounds simple that it is simple.
Yes, the arrangement is done in an hour or two but then things start. Trying out different effects which I have no knowledge about. Improving it. Day after day, improving it. Mixing it again. Day after day.

Trying out new things: someone on the other forum said the kick sounded dull but not in boring way but in a slap way. It ment that the kick did not really kick, I think thats the best way I can put it. So yesterday I went to look for a plugin they talked about Kick 2. I did not like it. I also tried Punchbox which I liked more, but ended up just scrolling thru the kick samples in ableton.
The big game changer was the idea to rent to own Ozone 9 Advanced+Neutron 3 advanced. That happend yesterday.
I decided to scratch all the work I did on it for a week! And that were MANY hours.

I decided to scratch all the effects except the reverb and delay. No more tape channel or strings submix. And I started to use Nuetron 3 mainly on each channel to create a better sound. I also used ozone 9 on the synths to create a better sound. This is not just putting the plugin on the tracks, its searching for the best sound and adjusting it untill its good. When I went to bed my ears hurt a lot. Probably because I had been working on the kick for many hours yesterday to get it right so it should not sound dull, but actually have some sort of power (kick) to it. I hope I succeeded with that. At the other forum they told me it was good. So I think I will leave this song now for what it is.
In the end, there is always room for improvement and I think I have put enough time in this song.

I only say this because in the past someone accused me of being lazy and that hurts. Because I literally spend ALL my free time on making music. I do not really play games or watch tv. I wake up and start working, I come home from work and start working.

It seems a person who says this has no clue about how much effort I put in a song to make it sound as it does. I hope they know better now but I doubt it.

Thank you Passing Bye and Second Skin. It means a lot to me after all this hard work to have some people like it.

edit: I am going to do one last thing and that is bringing the overall volume a bit down. I think the song is a bit too loud now.

Edit 2: scratch that. I now listened to some other dance tracks on soundcloud and I think its about the same. It even could be set a bit louder but not much. I aint gonna do that. I think its loud enough already as it is

You are obviously very passionate about your music which is always a good start.
I listened to the track before you updated it and I honestly had no problem with your original kick.
That is the trouble sometimes when you ask for advice, someone is going to convince you to change things which can be a slippery slope that leads to self doubt.
Learn to trust your own instinct and perhaps try to be more resistant to criticism, keep making your music and the way you like and if others like it, well call it a bonus :)

I understand but I have to dissagree.
If I would look soley at me, my songs would not improve. I am happy fairly quickly.
Another thing I want to achieve with my music is that people actually listen to it. You call that a bonus, for me its my goal and aim.
I understand what you are saying and all but I make music not for myself alone, but also for others.

I surely am open to critism, I changed a lot, you can hear the difference very good between two songs. And that are only the last two versions. If you heared the first version the change would be immense.

Thing is that there are different ways to give critism.

The person on the other forum was right about the kick. It did not have an oomph or how should I say it. That problem should be fixed now. It was more flat in a way, it did not have a smack. It was like hitting the table with a wet newspaper. There was a bang and that was it. There was nothing that "faded out" in a way. Just a bang and that was it. So I had to agree on that I think.
Do not get me wrong, I liked the first kick also, otherwise I would never have used it, but sometimes I need to hear the difference to understand fully I guess.

Keep up the good work, that's healthy mindset you have now, for sure you can't disregard criticism, but you can't accept every critic either, one should be really wise about that.

Your style is evolving in really good way, you are into melodies and positive euphoric emotions, stay true to that, that's your leitmotif, there's enough "edgy" music out there, plenty of people like simple and mellow things, to be happy, in love, carefree like a child, look at things positive, with hope, there's people who will call all that cheesy, pathetic, but don't mind them, their life isn't really a prize.

Mozex wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:47 pm
Another thing I want to achieve with my music is that people actually listen to it. You call that a bonus, for me its my goal and aim.
Fair enough, good luck with global domination. :)
In the meanwhile you still have Soundcloud and Kvr to make sure you are not producing for your own ears.

oh no, global domination is not necessary lol ;)

Slightly better mixed (I think and hope) version coming up.

On other forum someone told me that the bass was too loud and the high leads were to low. But he did this in such a manner, with frequencies and things that I thought I had to adjust the whole song. Not two or maybe three if you count the kick, instruments just change the volume output. No a complete talk about EQ's and frequencies.

So I made a balance with neutron to which I believed was what he ment. A more balanced palet. A bit of low, a bit of mid and a bit of high. and maybe a bit more high, to make it stand out, you know.

All to listen to my master piece and thinking, it sounds a bit weird. I wanted to listen to my current version on soundcloud and it sounded better.

But that bass, maybe that just a bit down and that kick maybe a bit changing too and maybe that lead that goes up, that a bit more. Volume that is.

Not frequenties, volume.

Is it possible he could have ment this?

https://soundcloud.com/themadscientistb ... ew-version

I changed above song in a click version. I thought of removing all bass from kick to make it sound less bassy but then I always start hearing a click in the kick. In the above version you can hear it very clearly.
Thats why it is changed

This link is the final version normally. I am gonna do my best not to change anything anymore and just go on to the next song. I have 5 more songs waiting and on this rate it will take me 3 months.

https://soundcloud.com/themadscientistb ... n-30092020

I think I found it. I was experimenting a bit with an extra neutron 3 plugin on masterbus and suddenly the track sounded a bit clearer.

I got the critique that my mix sounded dull ( its google translate, its not dull as in boring but as in how should I say it, like not clear) I do not know how to say it.

But now when experimenting a bit more, I came to a mix that sounded clearer. I can hear the dull (not clear) sound in the other track and in the new track it seems to be better.

https://soundcloud.com/themadscientistb ... n-30092020

The new version is clear, no doubt about it but the Kick becomes buried when your main Synth starts which I think is a tad too loud in relation to the Kick.
To my taste the Kick must be heard clearly at all times for an Edm track.
See what I mean about the slippery slope :)

Ok thank you, will check it out.

Apparantly I have a side chain plugin on it but I guess it aint doing his job. Will work a bit more on it and hope I accenditaly make it all explode and then I clean up the pieces and it all is like it should be.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

You know what, I aint gonna work any magic on it and just experiment a bit with the kick volume. I already did a bit of magic on the side chaining plugin which will do, probably nothing, but I did it.

Will upload new version soon. At least, if the Master Carburator does not start leaking blue substance.

Edit: Yes I understand now. Slippery slope. Master Carburator is starting to leak

Edit 2: Master Carburator is going to explode. Cpu peaking at 75% in DAW. Must release pressure which is impossible cause I need to add pressure. Dilemma.

Going to increase pressure.

Return to “Music Cafe”