Need a good software sampler (Not NativeInstruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you use Logic Pro X, the new Sampler and Quick Sampler are very powerful. It also inkludes Auto Sampler for automatic sampling of hard- and soft instruments.
Last edited by aer72 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

OLLEKO wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 pm
TAL Sampler is ALMOST there, but it doesn't have velocity-mapping (different micro-tuning variations depending on the velocity of the midi-command).
I think it does not hurt to send the developer a message. Perhaps it gets added.

Ableton Live. Specifically Drum Rack.

If i ever decide to stop using Live, i'll be using Renoise Redux without a doubt. It has a lot of features but is fairly intuitive (not as much as New Sonic Arts Nuance, another fantastic sampler, but you get a lot more with it, like the ability to slice samples). It also includes a tracker-style sequencer if you're into that, and is pretty cheap for what you get.

If you're using Live or Logic, the built-in samplers are more than enough for anyone.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:20 am
planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:49 am TX16Wx...a mouthful of a (lousy) name, but a very good cross-platform (Win & OSX) sampler. And it's a real sampler too -- not a ROMpler like Kontakt, Halion or most others: It can actually sample, detect pitch and do other things that hardware samplers "of yesteryear" used to do.

Halion 6 can sample:

https://youtu.be/Bza9AHZmlnU
Ah, okay, maybe the new version can. The previous one I tested couldn't -- and if you didn't have Cubase, it wasn't terribly easy to get it working with your DAW.
layzer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:45 am there are lots of sample players out there some can actually record, a true "sampler"
but i think the recording part of sampling is better handled by a dedicated wav editor.
i like wavosaur for that task.
Good point, but since the OP asked for a "sampler", I thought he might be interested in the fact that TX16Wx actually does sample. There's something about sampling in the instrument you're ultimately editing the samples in that makes the whole process seem more integrated and easier. That may just be my take on it, of course. And there's nothing wrong with sampling with whatever you have that can record the audio and then editing it in the "sampler" of your choice. I've sampled with SoundForge and edited the samples in Emulator X3 and/or TX16Wx and other "samplers".

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 am There's something about sampling in the instrument you're ultimately editing the samples in that makes the whole process seem more integrated and easier. That may just be my take on it, of course. And there's nothing wrong with sampling with whatever you have that can record the audio and then editing it in the "sampler" of your choice. I've sampled with SoundForge and edited the samples in Emulator X3 and/or TX16Wx and other "samplers".

Steve
sampling however way someone chooses to do it is great fun.
i'm sure theres those that enjoy doing it on a tiny lcd screen
on a hardware sampler :hihi: then you got bliss that im sure
is good and intuitive but i still like doing it old skool with wavosaur
and then crossfade the loop points with TWE. then make the SFZ
file for Zampler with notepad. its become second nature churning out bank after bank doing it like that for me, :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:29 am
planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 am There's something about sampling in the instrument you're ultimately editing the samples in that makes the whole process seem more integrated and easier. That may just be my take on it, of course. And there's nothing wrong with sampling with whatever you have that can record the audio and then editing it in the "sampler" of your choice. I've sampled with SoundForge and edited the samples in Emulator X3 and/or TX16Wx and other "samplers".

Steve
sampling however way someone chooses to do it is great fun.
i'm sure theres those that enjoy doing it on a tiny lcd screen
on a hardware sampler :hihi: then you got bliss that im sure
is good and intuitive but i still like doing it old skool with wavosaur
and then crossfade the loop points with TWE. then make the SFZ
file for Zampler with notepad. its become second nature churning out bank after bank doing it like that for me, :party:
All true. And there are those who enjoy “old school” methods so much that they prefer to use QasarBeach’s Fairlight CMI emulation. Nothing wrong with any method — use whatever works for you!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Reaper works fine for sampling. It has an actually working detection with dynamic split, so you can sample individual hits in one go, adjust some thresholds on a window and have multiple individual samples out of it.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/cut-sample

I've used it to sample sample-based drum vst machines and get rid of them.

Then Renoise Redux has velocity mapping and can record too. The free AKAI MPC beats cando both things too, but I think it's limited to 4 samples for each drum pad.

Duplicate

As others suggested, Halion and TX16wx are both great samplers that allow real sampling.

Return to “Instruments”