Reaslistic Marshall Sims

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golly, there are a lot of good marshall sims out there
hard to find one that can't be (perhaps slightly EQ'd into)something very pretty
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

claudedefaren wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:00 pm
poonna wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 am
electro wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:37 pm
poonna wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:15 pm You probably also want to add to the list ML Sound Lab Amped ML800 just released a few hours ago.
Amazing tones! What kind of copy protection are they using?
I haven't bought any of their stuff, but probably C/R.

Neural DSP Fortin Cali Suite mentioned above is also one that I'm planning to get once it's on sale.
Hope you see this in time, it's on sale until end of today I believe. Coupon code CALI50 takes 50% off

I really love it. I've been demoing it for a week and I'm a big fan of its cleans. Very unique sounding. Don't know how similar it is to a marshall amp, not much of a marshall guy.
Got it in time. Really love the cleans, too -- actually the main reason for getting it for me. :)
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Researchin on the Fortin webpage (the amp builder); he offers a series of mods for -Marshall, various types- amps. There are some mods packages that are branded as "Kali Mod" which includes numerous modifications, one of which is adding an extra channel.
So I am assuming when he built the original amp "Fortin Cali" what he did is build from ground a new amp which would be basically a sort of a Marshall JCM800 with that mod he offers for other people´s Marshall amps included from the build up.
I may be wrong, of course. But is what the info out on his webpage makes you think of.
And the plugin is just that amp... so the Neural DSP Fortin Cali would be a -heavily- modded Marshall with the extra clean channel, extra gain stages, extra switches, etc... but a Marshall at its core foundation.

Kuassa Caliburn is a nice Marshall sim (I am selling my licensesin sell/buy, but that's not why I'm saying that :wink: ).
Currently, however, I am using TH-U for almost anything.
In the meantime, I owned Archetype Nolly for a couple of months.
Here is a quick, subjective comparison:
Kuassa Caliburn sounds the dryest of the three. The tone is very much a Marshall (3 Marshalls to be precise), and sounds very realistic dynamic-wise. This may be the closest of the three when it comes to the tone you get straight from a miced amp/cab, and thus, gives you more freedom for the price of a bit more processing. The 3 amps sound different enough for a wide range of tones.
Neural DSP Archetype Nolly (amp 2) sounds the wettest. All Neural DSP amps I've tried sound like they were taken straight from a mix to me. I think that's what gives it the WOW factor. Dynamic- and tonewise the Marshall amp is amazing, and it can do a relatively wide range of tones, but has a character of its own (as an amp should). I think Kuassa sounds more Marshallesque, but, as always, it's a matter of tweaking your tone.
TH-U is a chameleon. It can play Kemper-style rig models created by Overloud. Some of these models are amazing, and the Choptones Brit 1987 pack blew my mind, and has quickly become the ampsim I use in 90% of my recording/playing, either on it's own, or in parallel with some other ampsim from TH-U. There are also a couple of other Marshall 'profiles', like the 900, 2000/DSL100 (incl. a modded version of the amp), a Super Lead Plexi, etc. It also comes with standard 'algorythmic' amp sims, including a couple of Marshalls, which sound great too. The tone and dynamics are amazing on all the amps.
TH-U is the priciest of the three options, but you can get the Rock Edition, and the Choptones Brit 1987 rig library for around 30$ or less each, on sale.
Neural DSP is the second priciest, Kuassa is the cheapest. None of them is a clear winner, but I chose TH-U for the amazing tone and huge variety of applications - it can do everything from beautiful cleans, to high gain monsters, vintage to modern, to experimental... I record and play bass with it too.

I've tested lots of different ones (and own quite a bit). My favorite are the Softube's. By far.

Nembrini released a rewritten Mrh810 Lead Series Guitar Version 2.0 earlier this year.
https://www.nembriniaudio.com/products/ ... -amplifier

I think Amplitube Slash was the first really good sounding Marshall emulation. In 2018 IK revised the two slash AMPs with version 1.5.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/slashcs/

"4.7.0 2018-09-26 Changes from version 4.6.1“AFD 100” and “JCM Slash” modelling fine tuned with our latest technology in collaboration with SlashAdded a collection of 13 new presets from Slash, based on the new Slash feat. Myles Kennedy & TheConspirators album “Living the Dream”Fixed possible microphone selection issue in cabinet sectionGeneral reliability improvements"
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Kuassa Caliburn sounds very convincing without even making any adjustments.

❌ Any ampsim with "Cali" in the name is most certainly NOT emulating a Marshall. It's going to be a MESA or maybe a Soldano.

The AmpliTube Brit Collection gives you a bunch of authentic, historically significant Marshall amps. Aditionally, the JH Gold model from the Hendrix Collection is a nice Plexi, and the new Satch VM is a totally legit JVM. You can easily assemble a convincing Bluesbreaker using the JH Gold and a Vox cab with the speakers swapped out with Greenbacks.

I'd shy away from the official Marshall models from AT Slash simply because the Brit Silver is (still) a better model than the JCM Slash (which was just a Silver Jubilee reissue, so they're the same amp); the Brit 8000 is (still) a better JCM 800 model than the AFD #34 channel; and the Satch VM red Crunch channel is a better hot-rodded JMP/JCM mod than the AFD channel.

The 2018 Slash update improved the official Marshalls a bit, though I think all models will sound even better in AmpliTube 5.
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Unfortunately my long term Marshall experience is limited to a JCM800 2x12OB, 30th Anniversary 1x12OB and JCM900 4x12CB. So for what it's worth I prefer Softube and to a slightly lesser extent the Mercuriall Spark.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:19 pm ❌ Any ampsim with "Cali" in the name is most certainly NOT emulating a Marshall. It's going to be a MESA or maybe a Soldano.

Don't know why it's called 'Caliburn' (some play on 'The Tempest' perchance? :o ), but it's definitely a Marshall emulation - included models are Plexi, JCM800 and JCM900.

Rather good too!

—delete
Last edited by jamcat on Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:38 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:19 pm ❌ Any ampsim with "Cali" in the name is most certainly NOT emulating a Marshall. It's going to be a MESA or maybe a Soldano.

Don't know why it's called 'Caliburn' (some play on 'The Tempest' perchance? :o ), but it's definitely a Marshall emulation - included models are Plexi, JCM800 and JCM900.

Rather good too!
I went and checked out the Caliburn, and I see it is indeed a poorly named Marshall emulation. :ud:

Listening to the demos, it does the Marshall over-emphasized high-end sizzle decently, but the clean tones are lacking. They're way too clean, which is something Marshalls just don't do. The clean demos don't really sound amplified at all.

I've been somewhat more impressed by the offerings from STL/Ignite AmpHub, but their whole system is really confusing and makes the AmpliTube Custom Shop seem sane by comparison.

Return to “Guitars”