Linux & free amp/dist plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, lots of info.. ty everybody, I did show this thread to him, hope he finds it helpfull, im sure it is :)
I doubt he has trouble with installing, it seems he knows his linux, One more question though,
does he need somekind of preamp with connecting his e guitar or how it works? Not sure what kind
of soundcard he has, or it just some built in in motherboard.
Ty folks.

Sam

Zamnix wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:06 pm One more question though, does he need somekind of preamp with connecting his e guitar or how it works? Not sure what kind of soundcard he has, or it just some built in in motherboard.
Ty folks.

Sam
Usually a DI box or maybe a buffered FX pedal. He could also try it using the mic setting, it might work.
As for latency and an ASIO driver.

I use Linux Mate 90% of the time, but I use Windows 10 for music, it wasn't worth the hassle on Ubuntu. Windows is widely supported

Jack fried my brain, not worth it for me.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

A lot of people have rack effects or floor units with a line-out, so no problem there. Others have modeling amps with usb cables, and headphone/line-out jacks. A lot of usb audio interfaces include level-switchable audio inputs, for mics/guitars. I have a couple Fender usb modeling amps which are detected in qjackctl patchbay gui as usb audio devices, that are great fun and versatile for stirring the effects pot, and very inexpensive in the used gear sites like Guitar Center has.

Here's a good tutorial for the linux jackd audio/midi connections:

https://libremusicproduction.com/articl ... arted-jack

Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

For someone needing an audio interface for linux, class-compliant usb i/o almost always works in linux. Interfaces bristling with great features and detailed driver software are often fully unsupported at the manufacturers level, as linux audio isn't a cash cow. Some good news is that one of the better linux coders is deep into the 3rd-gen Focusrite hardware, and well on the way to supporting all of those hardware's excellent capabilities.

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is an example of a usb class-compliant device that will use current linux kernel and alsa
capabilities. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and Solo devices are also in working order. As are many others. M-Audio pci cards work really really well in linux, via the snd_ice1712 kernel module, that is in
any modern kernel's collection.
Cheers

I recently got into the Audio Assault stuff and it's really good: https://audioassault.mx/

They didn't always have Linux versions, but now they do, as they're using JUCE for their builds.

If you like high gain/metal/thrash/crunch style tones, you'll probably love them. They're also real geeks for Impulse Response and have really good sounding cabinets--some famous ones, too.

Somewhat unique too, especially for the Linux guitarist is Duality Bass Studio ( https://audioassault.mx/duality.php ), which is what got me into them. If want a nice bass rig, check it out.

Return to “Effects”